UCAS and scotland independancy Watch

Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If Scotland breaks away and becomes independant, what will happen to certain systems/organisations?

For the sake of convenience, will things like UCAS still be applicable to us and them?

Also, as it is anyone in the EU except for English students get free tuition in Scotland. Will this be the same still, or will English students get free tuition to?

Just a few questions on behalf of my younger cousin who is considering going to uni in Scotland to be with her dad who is moving up there. (he's not scottish so my cousin isn't eligable for free tuition I don't think.)
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is yet another example of what the SNP hasnt thought about - along with providing a defence force, NHS provision, border controls and all the other aspects of a separate nation state.
seanfromtheblock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
This is yet another example of what the SNP hasnt thought about - along with providing a defence force, NHS provision, border controls and all the other aspects of a separate nation state.
To be fair, Scotland has an army regiment, bases and training facilities - presumably they'd continue to use them?

The Scottish NHS is already separate to the English system

I'd bet that the border would be similar to the Schengen system on mainland Europe and there would be free movement between Scotland and the RUK, so other than air/seaport passport checks (which would presumably remain as is), there wouldn't be any real need for new services
seanfromtheblock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clare~Bear)
If Scotland breaks away and becomes independant, what will happen to certain systems/organisations?

For the sake of convenience, will things like UCAS still be applicable to us and them?

Also, as it is anyone in the EU except for English students get free tuition in Scotland. Will this be the same still, or will English students get free tuition to?

Just a few questions on behalf of my younger cousin who is considering going to uni in Scotland to be with her dad who is moving up there. (he's not scottish so my cousin isn't eligable for free tuition I don't think.)
Doesn't matter if they're Scottish, just need to have lived in Scotland for the 3 years previous to applying for SAAS funding (this also applies to Scottish students)

If Scotland is a member of the EU (big if, it could take several years for membership to be approved), then students from the RUK would be eligible for free tuition, assuming this still exists in Scotland, and there is still EU legislation guaranteeing it to EU students.

As for UCAS, who knows? I'd imagine that there would be two systems, one for Scottish universities, and one for English - but I can't imagine they'd be drastically different to UCAS
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seanfromtheblock)
To be fair, Scotland has an army regiment, bases and training facilities - presumably they'd continue to use them?
But they 'belong' to Britain, not specifically to Scotland, so Alex Salmond cannot just assume they will be 'his' once he says 'Ta ta'.

Just as he cannot assume a newly nation state Scotland will be given automatic solo membership of the EU, NATO, the UN etc - which is exactly what he *does* assume at the moment.
Bronco2012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Scotland. Are. Going. To. Vote. No.

Period
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clare~Bear)
Erm, no, Welsh and Northern Irish students also.

Anyway, it isn't based on nationality (particularly as there is no such thing as Scottish or English citizenship) so it's a bit misleading to say "English students" have to pay. It's based on residency. Someone born and largely brought up in England, but has been resident in Scotland for three years prior to the start of the course, may have his or her fees paid by SAAS.

Similarly a Scottish born person who has not been resident in Scotland for three years prior to the start of the course will need to pay fees in Scotland.

So your cousin, depending on how long he is resident in Scotland for prior to the start of the degree, may not need to pay even though he or she is English and even if Scotland has not gone independent by that time.

But considering Scotland is not having the referendum until next year at the earliest, it will take some years for Scotland to become independent (likely after your cousin has graduated, unless he or she isn't in his or her teens yet).
seanfromtheblock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
But they 'belong' to Britain, not specifically to Scotland, so Alex Salmond cannot just assume they will be 'his' once he says 'Ta ta'.

Just as he cannot assume a newly nation state Scotland will be given automatic solo membership of the EU, NATO, the UN etc - which is exactly what he *does* assume at the moment.
It would be fair to assume that a population-relative proportion of armed forces resources would belong to Scotland though, and it would make sense for resources currently kept in Scotland to remain Scottish (with the obvious exception of Trident).

The resources do not 'belong' to England, Wales & Northern Ireland either, there would have to be negotiations on 'who gets what' across the board.
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Doesn't matter if they're Scottish, just need to have lived in Scotland for the 3 years previous to applying for SAAS funding (this also applies to Scottish students)

If Scotland is a member of the EU (big if, it could take several years for membership to be approved), then students from the RUK would be eligible for free tuition, assuming this still exists in Scotland, and there is still EU legislation guaranteeing it to EU students.

As for UCAS, who knows? I'd imagine that there would be two systems, one for Scottish universities, and one for English - but I can't imagine they'd be drastically different to UCAS

(Original post by River85)
Erm, no, Welsh and Northern Irish students also.

Anyway, it isn't based on nationality (particularly as there is no such thing as Scottish or English citizenship) so it's a bit misleading to say "English students" have to pay. It's based on residency. Someone born and largely brought up in England, but has been resident in Scotland for three years prior to the start of the course, may have his or her fees paid by SAAS.

Similarly a Scottish born person who has not been resident in Scotland for three years prior to the start of the course will need to pay fees in Scotland.

So your cousin, depending on how long he is resident in Scotland for prior to the start of the degree, may not need to pay even though he or she is English and even if Scotland has not gone independent by that time.

But considering Scotland is not having the referendum until next year at the earliest, it will take some years for Scotland to become independent (likely after your cousin has graduated, unless he or she isn't in his or her teens yet).
Oh, I thought the parent had to be scottish or the student had to have lived in scotland for at least 3 years. It doesn't matter though. She's in her first year of 6th form, her dad hasn't even moved yet, so she'd have to take a 2 year gap year which is unlikely, but not impossible.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It would be fair to assume that a population-relative proportion of armed forces resources would belong to Scotland though, and it would make sense for resources currently kept in Scotland to remain Scottish (with the obvious exception of Trident).

The resources do not 'belong' to England, Wales & Northern Ireland either, there would have to be negotiations on 'who gets what' across the board.
Those soldiers may not want to serve in an a 'defence force'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads