Showing parents your first girlfriend. Watch

Jriches96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So me and my girlfriend are currently doing our A levels in year 12. We have been going out for a month, however I feel it would be easier to hang out if we could go back to my place from time to time. Although I have a slight problem about showing her to my parents.

Its not that they won't like her (We both like maths and science etc), I just don't know how to bring it up.

I've always been the odd one out. Id rather play worlf of warcraft than go partying every weekend. However, Im scared my brothers and sisters will take the piss out of us (Make it awkward by coming in and out of the room, spying, smart comments etc).
eliselisjones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I highly doubt your parents would have an issue, however I can really see your siblings being a pain. It's just what they do, you'll just have to deal with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jriches96)
So me and my girlfriend are currently doing our A levels in year 12. We have been going out for a month, however I feel it would be easier to hang out if we could go back to my place from time to time. Although I have a slight problem about showing her to my parents.

Its not that they won't like her (We both like maths and science etc), I just don't know how to bring it up.

I've always been the odd one out. Id rather play worlf of warcraft than go partying every weekend. However, Im scared my brothers and sisters will take the piss out of us (Make it awkward by coming in and out of the room, spying, smart comments etc).
I think the more casual you are about it, the better. If you blow it up into a big deal then it's far more likely that people will take the mickey or whatever. Alternatively you could just ask your parents if they mind you having 'a friend' over; there's not necessarily any need to sort of 'officially declare' that she's your girlfriend. As for your siblings, I can empathise massively (though in my case it was my dad doing that kind of thing :rolleyes: ) but it's just got to be endured really, I would hope that your girlfriend would understand that it's all in jest. In reality I'm sure they're just pleased for you
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is one of those things you just have to do and deal with what happens after.
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Mum, I've got a girlfriend now, she's called X and we've been going out for [time period] now so I'd like you to meet her. Could she come over for dinner some time?
CasualSoul
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

hmm probs better to do it when your siblings are away as I think they would find it hard not to crack jokes or say embarassing things. You could give your parents a littletalk beforehand I suppose just depends on what they are like. One thing you probablyshould do though is hideany baby pictures of you
RainbowWithAnI
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a slight problem about showing her to my parents.
Showing? :lolwut: she's not an object :rolleyes:
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess so long as she doesn't look like this:
Name:  31125622.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  85.5 KB
Then you're ok lol
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Parents will be fine, siblings however are another matter especially if their like 5 - 11. For that problem there is one solution: :lockstock:
Leah90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I have four older brothers and I'm the youngest girl. Last year I was worried about taking my boyfriend home for this exact same reason (it had never bothered me before with other boyfriends but I knew I liked my current boyfriend more than any other boy before so I didn't want him to be put off by my family)

its funny though as my parents seem to love him more than they love me!!! And my brothers aren't even that bad with him.. A bit cringey at times but laugh it off and it's fine! I think they realise he makes me happy and I think that's all they really care about
Charcharx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The fact you used the word 'showing' made me giggle, its like if shes a new car or something

Surely introducing would of been a better word
thinktoomuch610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Hey Mum, I've got a girlfriend now, she's called X and we've been going out for [time period] now so I'd like you to meet her. Could she come over for dinner some time?
Yeah man this should work. It'll be nerve wracking and yup, your family'll crack embarrassing comments but that's just bound to happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Redolent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RainbowWithAnI)
Showing? :lolwut: she's not an object :rolleyes:
You can show a person to another person without considering them an object. I would have thought that's pretty obvious.
RainbowWithAnI
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Redolent)
You can show a person to another person without considering them an object. I would have thought that's pretty obvious.
Really? I thought the normal thing to do would be to introduce them but maybe that's just me
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mum this is X we're going upstairs. Please ignore any and all loud music were practicing a dance for school.

Ta.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Showing" is a pretty odd turn of phrase in this context. I had images of some poor girl in a glass display case being wheeled into the living room, where upon the grown ups (sitting in high backed chairs and smoking pipes) voiced their approval or lack thereof.

"Mummy, daddy, this is my first creation girlfriend." *grabs veil and whips it off the glass display case*
dendodge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Introduce her the way I introduced mine. My mum came home early and caught us kissing on the living room floor. It was kinda awkward at the time, but it avoided having to plan and over-think the introduction
British-Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your brothers and sisters are younger, bribe them with McDonalds or chocolate!

I've often worried about the exact same thing. My folks would just be on my case, so I never tell them anything about girlfriends or anything even on the topic. Weirdly though, they saw me out the other day with a big group of people, and when they asked if the girl I was talking to was my girlfriend, they were surprisingly cool about it. Act like it doesn't bother you and they've got nothing
Redolent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RainbowWithAnI)
Really? I thought the normal thing to do would be to introduce them but maybe that's just me
Some people aren't good with words. Pretty clear the guy doesn't see his girlfriend as an object from the rest of what he posted.
wastry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Redolent)
Some people aren't good with words. Pretty clear the guy doesn't see his girlfriend as an object from the rest of what he posted.
Personally thinking your worrying about your siblings in the wrong way.

It can be good to have people more similiar to your age around the house, as there is nothing worse than an awkward silence. This is more likely to happen if it's just you and your gf with your parent's who are 30 years older than with you and your gf and a brother or sister +-2 years. Any funny comments your siblings make your gf most likely just to laugh them off with a smile... on the other hand she's not going to think his brother made a funny joke about us that's we're over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.71%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.74%
I don't think they'd understand (27)
18.12%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
36.91%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.52%

Watched Threads