zss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am a first year biomedical student and I am finding the course challenging and hard!!! I did some A levles but did a btec science course.... so wondering if there was anyone else in the same position??? or has anyone done a Btec science and doing biomedical science?
Golden_Boy786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in my second year at the moment doing Biomedical Science. First year really shouldn't be a challenge for anyone. What is it your are finding difficult?

A few reasons could be you aren't working 3 hours minimum private study or your not focusing on the course work which is essential to keep up with.
zss
Rep:
?
I seem to struggle with everything!! just started my semester B and it seems too difficult for me to handle. I don't know whether this is because I did a Btec for my A levels.

Do you know of anyone who has done btec for A levels then doing biomedical science now?? I think the truth is they teach you a whole chapter in just one or 2 hour lecture! nd i cant seem to catch up with them but if I want to change course, i really dont know what I can change too!
Golden_Boy786
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well i can't be of much help with knowing about btec for A levels as i haven't done one or met anyone who has. However, i still don't see why that should be a major factor in you struggling with the course especially at first year. If your finding it difficult know, 2nd year is going to be very intricate.

You should ask your personal development tutor to maybe give you advice how to cope with the demand of the course. Or even ask help from your friends in your course, surely they can guide you in the right path when your finding something challenging. You should also take into consideration that you obviously you had the qualifications to get into the course in the first place, so you were well equipped to begin with, which didn't happen by chance. So, Don't become too disheartened you just need to motivate yourself and figure out which it is you need help and ask the right people.

If you did want to change course, i cant recommend any that will be easy. Realistically any course you do at University level will be far from being easy.

Good Luck. quote me if you need other advice.
zss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Golden_Boy786)
Well i can't be of much help with knowing about btec for A levels as i haven't done one or met anyone who has. However, i still don't see why that should be a major factor in you struggling with the course especially at first year. If your finding it difficult know, 2nd year is going to be very intricate. You should ask your personal development tutor to maybe give you advice how to cope with the demand of the course. Or even ask help from your friends in your course, surely they can guide you in the right path when your finding something challenging. You should also take into consideration that you obviously you had the qualifications to get into the course in the first place, so you were well equipped to begin with, which didn't happen by chance. So, Don't become too disheartened you just need to motivate yourself and figure out which it is you need help and ask the right people.If you did want to change course, i cant recommend any that will be easy. Realistically any course you do at University level will be far from being easy.Good Luck. quote me if you need other advice.
thank you for replying I think I am just gone stick with it for this year and see how it goes. Even if i do change my course now I cant really join anything else. I think its just the work load that I am struggling with and the concept of exams and assignments .
Golden_Boy786
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zss)
thank you for replying I think I am just gone stick with it for this year and see how it goes. Even if i do change my course now I cant really join anything else. I think its just the work load that I am struggling with and the concept of exams and assignments .
Your welcome.

Im glad to know that your ready to challenge the course rather than quitting. I understand the University life with more pressure with the increasing coursework can be a challenge, its also a big step up from school and college. But you should just take one assignment or module at a time don't get stressed out. Most important thing is being focussed when at lectures taking note especially when the lectures are really emphasising something important.
zss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Golden_Boy786)
Your welcome.

Im glad to know that your ready to challenge the course rather than quitting. I understand the University life with more pressure with the increasing coursework can be a challenge, its also a big step up from school and college. But you should just take one assignment or module at a time don't get stressed out. Most important thing is being focussed when at lectures taking note especially when the lectures are really emphasising something important.
Thank you for replying! sorry i took soo long to write back I just fee like I do not have enough science background to do the subject but I am interested in doing the subject as I like it. It's just that I struggle with the chemistry aspect of the course. I don't really know who I should ask for help and who I should talk too. I was wondering if you would be able to point me in the right direction as to whom I can go for help. Thank youu!
Golden_Boy786
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zss)
Thank you for replying! sorry i took soo long to write back I just fee like I do not have enough science background to do the subject but I am interested in doing the subject as I like it. It's just that I struggle with the chemistry aspect of the course. I don't really know who I should ask for help and who I should talk too. I was wondering if you would be able to point me in the right direction as to whom I can go for help. Thank youu!
No problem, Seeing how your finding only one module challenging which is nothing to worry about. A lot of people finding the chemistry aspect tough as well, so your not alone. First of all I would advise you to talk to the chemistry lecturer, if you can meet him at his office to go over the areas you find difficult. Just remember to email him first to book an appointment, this should be your first step.

Also I would suggest its important you have all the recommended textbooks for the course. Let me know how it works out.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a second year biomedical student. I agree with the above poster, your first year shouldnt really be a challenge.

Whats your semester A results if you dont mind me asking? Maybe they can be a guide for whether the course is right for you?

Also, try speaking to your module leader they may be able to guide you on what to do
ScienceOwl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I'm doing a BTEC in medical science and I understand your concern. I'm applying for biomed 2013 and I am worried about the same thing happening to me.

The cause for concern is that BTECs are very vocational/practical focussed with the expectation that you revise a lot of theory yourself rather than have it drilled into you. Can you take some consolidation that you're probably showing them how it's done in the practicals -and use that to spur you on to do the extra revision that you'll need to.

I know a few people who are doing biomed off the back of btecs and all of them feel the pressure a little bit, just revise revise revise in whatever format suits you best If a particular type of revision isn't working just change - don't flog a dead horse. Good luck
zss
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2468)
I'm a second year biomedical student. I agree with the above poster, your first year shouldnt really be a challenge.

Whats your semester A results if you dont mind me asking? Maybe they can be a guide for whether the course is right for you?

Also, try speaking to your module leader they may be able to guide you on what to do
well for Semester A i haven't got all my marks. So far I only have the marks for my coursework/presentations. For biology coursework i got 74%, biochem 60%, anatomy nd physiology presentation 71% nd research skills essay 56%. Haven't got my marks for the exams yet :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads