weight training with dumbbells only Watch

other one
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am late 20s, by nature skinny girl, who started lifting around 9 months ago. Due to medical reasons I had to stop for 4 months but would like to resume now. I am not a member of any gym now and the only one I'd join is my uni gym (20 min bus ride away). Going to the gym is time-consuming and of course costs money. I have two options. I can order additional weights for my dumbbells for around 30 quid (a month's membership in the gym) that will last me a while, but that means that I can only do dumbbells at home (plus there's a Fitness ball), no barbell, so I can't deadlift for instance. Is it a good idea for me to stick to home training with dumbbells only? Is there a good regime that anyone would recommend that does without a barbell and a bench?

many thanks in advance!
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm by no means an expert, but I've just bought the book;

"Strength Training Anatomy Workout" (NOT "Strength Training Anatomy" - get the workout one) by Delavier and Gundill.

It's specifically designed for working at home with dumbells, and looks fantastically useful. It gives you a complete guide to writing your own programme, and advice on diet etc. As I say, I haven't tried it yet, but it may be worth a look, particularly since you already lift, so you know what form to use etc.
epicnerd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How will you squat
other one
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnerd)
How will you squat
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...ale/m/85_2.jpg
Old School
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's better than nothing but a gym membership (at a gym with a cage, bars and lots of plates) would serve you much better in both short and long term.
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very quickly you won't be able to hold onto dumbbells heavy enough.
HenryD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The gym is just about the extra equitment which i couldn't afford, it's more about the knowledge that when I walk in there I'm concentrating on nothing except the workout, no distractions. In spite of trying I've never managed to get that in my house.
other one
Rep:
?
(Original post by HenryD)
The gym is just about the extra equitment which i couldn't afford, it's more about the knowledge that when I walk in there I'm concentrating on nothing except the workout, no distractions. In spite of trying I've never managed to get that in my house.
this is not something that was ever a problem for me. if anything others may be more distracting in the gym. at home, there s just me and the weights.
other one
Rep:
?
(Original post by In One Ear)
Very quickly you won't be able to hold onto dumbbells heavy enough.
yes that could be right.
KNott
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depending on how heavy dumbbells you buy, you can still do goblet squats, dumbbell dead lifts/straight legged deadlifts, squats with them resting on your shoulder, bulgarian split squats etc.
Goblet squats I find are great because it doesn't require all that grip strength as you do with squats while holding them at your sides, as you hold it vertically with both hands. Deep g. squats with a heavy dumbbell is great!
Search for variations of squats with dumbbells on youtube for inspiration. x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads