Second thoughts about university course... What to do? Watch

Prestoria
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I received an offer for Politics and Modern History (PMH) at the University of Manchester a couple of months ago. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the course, and was thinking of switching to BA History instead. Don't get me wrong, the modules in PMH are really appealing, but I have a few reservations - for instance, I'd like to study a wide range of history (rather than being limited to modern history) especially as I'm considering the teaching route.

What should I do? Should I ask to change course now, or wait until August? Or will I have to deal with it and do PMH? I'm concerned as I'm aware that the deadline has passed, and Manchester may have filled up their spaces.

Thanks in advance.
myusername.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you are certain you want to change to BA History, phone Manchester Uni and ask them if it would be possible. I'd personally try and sort it out now, instead of in August. I can't see why switching to this course would be much of a problem if they still have spaces on the course, but it's best to phone the uni and see what they say. Good luck!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Prestoria)

Thanks in advance.
What was your offer

Are you aware that the typical offer for History is higher than that for PMH
Prestoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by myusername.)
x
Thank you - I don't think the admissions office is open, so I'll send them an email. If I don't hear back, I'll phone them. Thanks for your response.

(Original post by TenOfThem)
What was your offer

Are you aware that the typical offer for History is higher than that for PMH
The offer I received for PMH was ABC (I'm part of their access scheme hence the lower offer). I know that straight history is higher than PMH, so it would be ABB if the admissions tutor did agree I could change. I'm cautiously optimistic that I could achieve this.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dont ever wait for Clearing for something like this as you would be gambling on places being available - and many leading Unis dont put *any* places into Clearing at all.

Phone UoM and ask about switching - if your grade predictions match, it should be pretty straightforward.
Prestoria
Rep:
?
Just an update - Manchester allowed me to switch from PMH to straight history today. Thanks for all of your help, it is sincerely appreciated.
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Prestoria)
Just an update - Manchester allowed me to switch from PMH to straight history today. Thanks for all of your help, it is sincerely appreciated.
Congratulations! I'm pleased for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads