lucky_Guo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi ! i am a newcomer here . really lucky to find this forum . i am now torn between two chioces, need your advice
i'v both received an offer of palce from york (MSc in mathematical finance) and glasgow(Msc financial modelling). don't know which is better (regarding of reputation ,teaching quality,social life etc)
i am now troubled as i am overseas student , dont know much about these uni.
it is kind of urgent for glasgow is requesting a deposit before 31st jan
any advices or tips would be grateful
chees006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
York is generally higher than Glasgow on the overall scales it's about number 12 in the UK.
However they are both Russell Group universities which tends to be a group of very prestigious universities also in the UK so you wouldn't be wrong to go to either exactly. For Mathematics specifically Glasgow is higher but it depends who's site you look at. The complete university guide is the one I normally use, however you'll most likely find something different on the Guardian. Again, both good universities so you can't go wrong really, if you can at all come over to the UK I think booking a visit day would be a good idea because then you could really get a feel for which one you might prefer from just being there. If necessary resort to pictures online too to try and get a feel for it. Check out as much course stuff on their individual websites as possible to be well informed.
Look on this website too it has opinions on lots of universities from the actual students there themselves, Glasgow and York will be on here too:
http://www.whatuni.com/
I think York would definitely be more expensive to live in, however it's also a very very pretty place to be! Location is important too. Since Glasgow is in Scotland it's going to be colder than York, although York will still be cold... Depends what kind of weather you're into.
Ultimately it's down to personal preference, but they are good university choices so I think you will be fine. Remember your university time is meant to be the best years of your life! So pick somewhere you really think that could happen! ^^

Massive good luck! I've also got an offer from York but for straight mathematics, so you have good taste there haha
chees006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chees006)
York is generally higher than Glasgow on the overall scales it's about number 12 in the UK.
However they are both Russell Group universities which tends to be a group of very prestigious universities also in the UK so you wouldn't be wrong to go to either exactly. For Mathematics specifically Glasgow is higher but it depends who's site you look at. The complete university guide is the one I normally use, however you'll most likely find something different on the Guardian. Again, both good universities so you can't go wrong really, if you can at all come over to the UK I think booking a visit day would be a good idea because then you could really get a feel for which one you might prefer from just being there. If necessary resort to pictures online too to try and get a feel for it. Check out as much course stuff on their individual websites as possible to be well informed.
Look on this website too it has opinions on lots of universities from the actual students there themselves, Glasgow and York will be on here too:
http://www.whatuni.com/
I think York would definitely be more expensive to live in, however it's also a very very pretty place to be! Location is important too. Since Glasgow is in Scotland it's going to be colder than York, although York will still be cold... Depends what kind of weather you're into.
Ultimately it's down to personal preference, but they are good university choices so I think you will be fine. Remember your university time is meant to be the best years of your life! So pick somewhere you really think that could happen! ^^

Massive good luck! I've also got an offer from York but for straight mathematics, so you have good taste there haha
oops my mistake, Glasgow is higher on the scale, got it the wrong way round, so sorry >.<
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (137)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
27.04%
Not great so far... (277)
35.83%
I want to drop out! (150)
19.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed