Is anyone else seriously underwhelmed by technological developments? Watch

beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Nothing seems to have happened in the last 20 years. Sure, we have quicker computers and 20 MP digital cameras. But why hasn't cancer been cured yet? Or even the damned common cold? Where are the AI machines which will pass the Turing Test? Fusion power stations? It all seems so painfully slow.

Anyone agree?
a.partridge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's not enough money for researchers because society has no understanding or appreciation of science and expects all these things almost for free.
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
Have you been living under a rock?
beepbeeprichie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
Have you been living under a rock?
Maybe it is precisely the opposite. Because I'm so aware of the changes they seem slow and trifling. If I had been living under a rock for 20 years and suddenly saw the changes then I'd probably be amazed.
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Big problems require big solutions. Technology is advancing and discoveries are constantly being made... Sometimes it's not obvious what their potential is, but they all add up.

There are a few articles on it, but in 2012 something like 27 Sci-Fi technologies were actually invented, and many more are to come. I don't believe that progress has slowed, it's largely a case of fully understanding the problem and realising there are plenty of smaller barriers to pass along the way. Funding cuts certainly don't help either.

Technological timelines have, historically, been far off.
Mockery
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do you suggest? A new World War? Those are always good for speeding up technological advances! Well, before the decades of economical depression that follow.
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Feel free to contribute.

Fusion has progressed quicker than computers, if that helps.
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what? no. I'm thrilled. these are exciting times to be alive. I can't believe anyone would try and claim nothing has happened in the past 20 years, there has been ****loads of awesome developements and everything just seems to work as it was intended to these days. I'm always saying to people it feels like we're living in the future now. possible troll thread.
Bodgy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree, I've been underwhelmed. I don't know if it's linked to research funds, but that would be my assumption.

It's true though that people expect technological development for free and don't realise the need for funding - a BBC documentary (arguably not the most reliable of sources) presented punters in shopping centres with 'rewind smartphones' to turn back time and 'miniature jetpacks' the size of earrings with possibilities for cross-continent travel. Nobody was skeptical; everyone accepted it and several asked to buy.

On one hand, this might show that technology is developing so rapidly that people believe anything and everything like it's magic. I don't think this is true. On the other, the average person's unfazed, unimpressed reaction and shows their disregard for the effort and money that goes in. Either way, research needs more funding.
Three Mile Sprint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I couldn't disagree more, the ammount of staggering discoveries and advances that have been made in the last 20 years leave the mind aghast.
Bodgy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
I couldn't disagree more, the ammount of staggering discoveries and advances that have been made in the last 20 years leave the mind aghast.
I won't ask you to cite them because I know what you will say. I agree that there have been some instances of landmark progress. But compare this to cold war advances, and you'll see that budgets and outcomes for science are worryingly short.
Dukeofwembley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by beepbeeprichie)
Nothing seems to have happened in the last 20 years. Sure, we have quicker computers and 20 MP digital cameras. But why hasn't cancer been cured yet? Or even the damned common cold? Where are the AI machines which will pass the Turing Test? Fusion power stations? It all seems so painfully slow.

Anyone agree?
watch

also

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.85%
No (152)
74.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed