A house divided against itself cannot stand. Watch

vaivaged
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This topic was announced as a theme of speech competition in my local area I believe, that everyone has his or her own point how this phrase should be interpreted. In order to write a good speech I decided to ask you guys if you have some ideas and opinions about it. I'd be very thankful.
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh I beg to differ:

Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a reference to a speech by lincoln isnt it?

I would interpret it much in the same way as lincoln intended, that political division will lead to either eventual destruction or the victory of one side over the other, and being left in a state of balance between the two cannot last.

However, you could equally argue that dissent on opinion is ultimately bad for a particular group. Unity and like-mindedness are the only saviors of a broken system, and thus the weakened links must be weeded out.
vaivaged
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I think i'd like to be original and to speak about something different then politic or family which is said to be main interpretations of this quotation. Maybe I should speak about generations falling apart or sth related with discrimination.. Maybe u have more original ideas? )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads