The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sneakbo2
because when ions move to the electrodes they always return to being atoms, without their full outer shells. Due to this oxygen obviously wants that full outer shell again after losing electrons when attracted to the positive electrode/anode, so oxygen atoms bond covalently with the carbon atoms of the carbon positive electrode/anode and carbon dioxide gas is formed.

Could you also due to the high temperatures carbon can react with the oxygen? Not too sure though tbh... :confused:
Original post by sakbo
Could you also due to the high temperatures carbon can react with the oxygen? Not too sure though tbh... :confused:

I'm not sure. BTW, I am from calday
Reply 62
Can anyone PLEASE tell me whether or not we need to know solubility rules??? eg: all ammonium salts are soluble etc... Thanks :smile:
Original post by sakbo
Can anyone PLEASE tell me whether or not we need to know solubility rules??? eg: all ammonium salts are soluble etc... Thanks :smile:

Im not sure, I'm learning the majority of them anyway. Remember: if you want to make an insoluble salt XY, mixing X nitrate with sodium Y will always work. In the example above, X is silver and Y is chloride.
Original post by bbadonde2
Biology one didn't trouble me too much but I know it did for a lot of people. I hope the chemistry is good for me as I need an A*

i swear there was only like 3 tissues you could talk about?! ah yeah i got an A* last year hope i get that too this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by sakbo

http://store.aqa.org.uk/sciencelab/AQA-CHEM-W-SP.PDF
what do you guys think the 6 mark question might be???
Reply 67
Original post by NightStrider
Im not sure, I'm learning the majority of them anyway. Remember: if you want to make an insoluble salt XY, mixing X nitrate with sodium Y will always work. In the example above, X is silver and Y is chloride.

So surely you could get away with only knowing 2 rules : all compounds of sodium ( or just group 1 metals) are soluble and all nitrates are soluble? Then use this for ALL the possible insoluble salts???
Original post by sakbo
So surely you could get away with only knowing 2 rules : all compounds of sodium ( or just group 1 metals) are soluble and all nitrates are soluble? Then use this for ALL the possible insoluble salts???

Yeah. But better safe then sorry I say
Do we need to know about the Haber process??
Original post by Minecraft27
Do we need to know about the Haber process??

unit 3
poll seems to tell that chromo is coming up, mmm
I seem to agree..
i don't think the 6 marker will be on electrolysis(that was already in one of the
recent past paper, maybe electrolysis of brine though?) Make sure you know the three products formed in brine electrolysis! But i reckon that the 6 marker will be on nanoscience, chromotography or catalysts(uses eg enzymes, medicine, future development-->modern catalysts)
Let's just pray that it will be on metals or covalent structures!
Good luck:smile:
Reply 73
Right, if the 6 marker was on GC-MS what would the question be like and how would you answer it? Not too sure how you would fit enough info in :/
Reply 74
Do you reckon there will be anything on fullerenes??!!
Reply 75
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLTGT6PTuk&list=PLsorq7UsrfYttVO5Xfsj2nVhHwQTPFaTm
i've been revising off these videos and taking notes, its really helpful guys:smile:
Reply 76
Describe and explain how electrolysis is used to make pure copper from a lump of
impure copper.
Original post by ayshac94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLTGT6PTuk&list=PLsorq7UsrfYttVO5Xfsj2nVhHwQTPFaTm
i've been revising off these videos and taking notes, its really helpful guys:smile:

So have for the past few hours. On video 26 out of 30 now
Original post by Efemena15
Describe and explain how electrolysis is used to make pure copper from a lump of
impure copper.

is it when the impure copper goes to the anode and the pure copper goes to the cathode. Where sludge and impurities are basically collected at the bottom? :/
Original post by NightStrider
So have for the past few hours. On video 26 out of 30 now

He is SO good isn't he! Life SAVER.

Latest

Trending

Trending