eastonch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there,

Just got my conditional offer at 280 UCAS from Leeds met on the Computer Forensics course, this was one of my 'wildcard' choices and it seems to have turned out the better one from the five picked initially.

I've looked at Kirkstall Brewary as the accommodation choice for the Leeds met Heandingly Campus, but I was wondering if anybody had any preference, reviews or experience with the local Halls of residence?

Also, who else is new this year? Hoping to get a few contacts before I begin my course; you know, so it's not too much of a transition.

Cheers,
Chris.
Tanners92
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
I am currently staying at Kirkstall Brewery I am in a non-ensuite room which is £99 a week, all inclusive bills etc. It is the cheapest of all Leeds Met accommodation!
There is 6 of us in a flat, 4 boys and 2 girls, there is 2 showers and 2 toilets, we're all on different timetables, so waking up at different times and I have never had to wait for somebody to get out the shower!
They recently installed wi-fi, which is free! Just your average speed!
They have closed the SU bar now, but still show all sporting games on the big screens, and pool tables etc!
Washing is like £2 a wash and £1 a dryer! Always do it on your day off rather than weekends to avoid waiting for a machine!
I enjoy living here, it is quite basic, but so sociable! get to meet so many people!
A morrisons is only 5 mins walk away, so great to do a food shop!
Headingley campus is about a 20 minute walk, that's the shortcut But you find people on your course also staying at Kirkstall so it isn't bad - Or the bus to is £2.50 a day, not worth it!
Getting into town for a night out or whatever, is about £6 each way in a taxi, so a pound or 2 split between a taxi full
IT's a great night out,
Anymore questions just ask, hope it helps
pwincessnog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently at Kirkstall Brewery too, its actually very good, plus I study Computing.

Like Tanners said, it's the best accommodation closest to Headingley. For non En Suite accommodation buildings, there are two showers and two toilets and its more than enough. I was one of the 'unlucky' few to be mixed with people on a complete range of different courses than myself, but its actually brilliant. Everybody is sociable, happy and what-not. Headingley nightlife is on-par, from what I've seen. The Headingley Taps have a brilliant £1.25-£1.75/pint and other drinks at a similar price on Monday, good for students since the SU bar closed.

The general Leeds nightlife is great too, a Carnage every month or two which is great fun and there's a student night on basically every night of the week bar Sunday.

The Computing facilities are brilliant. We have labs for different exercises, one of which can be used to remotely hack a virtual network within the university's network. I'm studying what will probably be the dead-cert. basics of your course next semester in terms of Computer Forensics and Security among other things, so I'll let you know what its like if you keep in touch.

Other than that, Tanners basically explained it all!
JohnJohn17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eastonch)
Hi there,

Just got my conditional offer at 280 UCAS from Leeds met on the Computer Forensics course, this was one of my 'wildcard' choices and it seems to have turned out the better one from the five picked initially.

I've looked at Kirkstall Brewary as the accommodation choice for the Leeds met Heandingly Campus, but I was wondering if anybody had any preference, reviews or experience with the local Halls of residence?

Also, who else is new this year? Hoping to get a few contacts before I begin my course; you know, so it's not too much of a transition.

Cheers,
Chris.

I also have an Offer of 280 Points, but for Forensics & Security... I'm going to go for Carnegie village as I have thought for the extra money It'll cost me, I'll probably be spending it on bus fair there and back everyday.
pwincessnog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JohnJohn17)
I also have an Offer of 280 Points, but for Forensics & Security... I'm going to go for Carnegie village as I have thought for the extra money It'll cost me, I'll probably be spending it on bus fair there and back everyday.
It's totally not worth it. Its on-campus so it's good in that respect, and you get your own bathroom and blah blah, however there's not really a nearby supermarket. You're also not going to spend £30 on travel to/from the university to Kirkstall, its more like £12.50; Carnegie isn't worth the money in my opinion.
dan_griffin11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I preferred my friends flats at carnegie rather than Kirkstall, i live abit down the road from kirkstall now and its abit of a crappy area. Also Carnegie village isn't sinking.

(must add my friends had a great time in both places last year, so it's not that too much of an issue!)
wanaellam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

Cheers,
Chris.
Hey man, I'm gonna be on Headingley Campus too doing entertainment/events management, I've just applied for Opal 1+2 cause for a 20-25 minute bus journey, whenever my lectures are, it's not really that bad, especially that I probably travel more to college now! It's supposedly really good for 120 a week (with en-suite) and it's also a 10 minute walk into city centre, bus fare is being saved there !
scazmann
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have put my deposit down on Carnegie Cluster Flats. I looked around Kirkstall and Carnegie. Carnegie for me stood out by a mile.. Im studying Physical Education and will be training regularly therefore I wanted to be on top of all the sporting fascilities!

It is quite a bit expensive but i definately think it is worth it.

Plus, when i went to speak to two girls in one of the flats they advised this. They described Kirsktall as like a 'crack den' (if this is true or not). As i come from a bit of a ****ty area i wanted a change!

Hope this helps
eastonch
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm thread reviving here,

Looking at the Applicant day tomorrow at Leeds met, going to look at Kirkstall, might try and drop into Sugarwell (?) since that was a cheap option like Kirkstall, but it's very remote.

Need to be near all the action, can't abide being 1 year with boring people, or away from all the fun. o.O
NachoD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm thread reviving here,

Looking at the Applicant day tomorrow at Leeds met, going to look at Kirkstall, might try and drop into Sugarwell (?) since that was a cheap option like Kirkstall, but it's very remote.

Need to be near all the action, can't abide being 1 year with boring people, or away from all the fun. o.O
Let us know what you think of them, I'm trying to decide on accommodation for myself for the next year and those are among those I've been considering (more so than others due to cost), but I won't have any time to get to them on the days they are open as I'm working 8-5. It's quite hard to gauge what the accommodation is like on here as people have very different opinions on some of them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads