Any advice on how to stay positive? Watch

Shannon~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I underwent corrective surgery in June 2012 to lessen the effects of my cerebral palsy and ever since then I've been making brilliant progress physically, but have went through a lot of down periods because of the lengthy recovery process. I was told it takes a year to recover which I accept, but both my physiotherapists are very confusing and have conflicting ideas, with one saying there's no reason I could be walking by this June, and the other one having doubts. I'm very strong willed and determined that I will be walking by June independently and I know with my attitude to my physiotherapy that I will make that possible. But every so often I get extremely down as I hate using crutches and a wheelchair (occasionally). Is there any way I can keep myself feeling positive and learn to ignore the views of the physios? As my surgeon and other senior physiotherapists have been extremely optimistic about me being recovered by June.

Thank you.
JamessLad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Not comparing your condition to this but the principles can be applied to any problem!
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
as usual, mike skinner knows the score

OneDayDoctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey

Maybe you should think about what you want to achieve yourself and ignore (to an extent) what you're being told. If you think you can walk, then go for it. For motivation, think about how far you've already come. Maybe create some kind of a chart to mark off improvements in what you can do, ie how far you can walk independently. It might help when you feel down if you can look and compare yourself to a month ago etc.

Would it help if you talked to someone about how you feel? I can understand it must be frustrating.
Shannon~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by OneDayDoctor)
Hey

Maybe you should think about what you want to achieve yourself and ignore (to an extent) what you're being told. If you think you can walk, then go for it. For motivation, think about how far you've already come. Maybe create some kind of a chart to mark off improvements in what you can do, ie how far you can walk independently. It might help when you feel down if you can look and compare yourself to a month ago etc.

Would it help if you talked to someone about how you feel? I can understand it must be frustrating.
Hi thanks for your reply . I do try and respectfully ignore a lot of their confusing suggestions and try and focus on my own goals. I think the chart is a really good idea, I'll definitely start one soon.

I do have a really good support network around me in terms of family, friends and my boyfriend, who are always willing to help. But then again, I can often be quite stubborn and not take in their words of advice and support which of course makes them very frustrated as well. I think I overreact a lot of the time though, admittedly.
OneDayDoctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Shannon~)
Hi thanks for your reply . I do try and respectfully ignore a lot of their confusing suggestions and try and focus on my own goals. I think the chart is a really good idea, I'll definitely start one soon.

I do have a really good support network around me in terms of family, friends and my boyfriend, who are always willing to help. But then again, I can often be quite stubborn and not take in their words of advice and support which of course makes them very frustrated as well. I think I overreact a lot of the time though, admittedly.
You're lucky to have such great people around you

I think sometimes everyone becomes stubborn and overreacts to things, it's only natural to feel that way when something frustrates you. As long as you remember to stay calm and know that they're trying to help you'll be fine
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think your positive attitude will be very helpful. But it's inevitable you'll have bad days, and what you need is to find a way of dealing with them without getting bogged down in worries.

Perhaps you'd find mindfulness meditation helpful? Mindfulness-based stress reduction was originally invented for people with cancer, but it is increasingly used for people under stress of all kinds.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Catastr...8778686&sr=8-1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads