Is it harder for men to talk about and admit mental health problems? Watch

Siman89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not saying it's easy for women with mental health issues, and still realise that they have an immense struggle, and realise that a lot of my assumption is based on generalisations of the genders, but do you think woman find it easier to admit and get support for, mental health issues.

I feel if most women said to a friend that they were depressed, stressed, feeling anxious etc, then most their friends would try be understanding and supportive, and for the most part women are better at expressing their true emotions. Whereas if a man said to his friends that he was depressed or stressed they'd quite often be told to 'man up' or 'stop moaning'. I also think a lot of men would find it hard to admit they've got a problem, because being vulnerable goes against the 'macho' ideal. Obviously this is just based on my assumptions and observations, and I don't wish to offend anyone who suffers from a mental health issue.
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't believe that either gender has an easy time admitting mental health issues. There is a massive stigma, especially about depression. But overall, I'd be inclined to agree with the OP. While professionals won't see the problems of patients of different genders any differently, the same can't be said for friends and the like. I've a history of depression and I don't particularly want people to find out for fear of them looking down on me. Men aren't 'expected' to be open about their emotions and their mental states, so the general perception of those who are is probably inferior.

I myself am actually relatively open about my emotions, but I'm not hugely 'macho' or anything.
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Siman89)
I'm not saying it's easy for women with mental health issues, and still realise that they have an immense struggle, and realise that a lot of my assumption is based on generalisations of the genders, but do you think woman find it easier to admit and get support for, mental health issues.

I feel if most women said to a friend that they were depressed, stressed, feeling anxious etc, then most their friends would try be understanding and supportive, and for the most part women are better at expressing their true emotions. Whereas if a man said to his friends that he was depressed or stressed they'd quite often be told to 'man up' or 'stop moaning'. I also think a lot of men would find it hard to admit they've got a problem, because being vulnerable goes against the 'macho' ideal. Obviously this is just based on my assumptions and observations, and I don't wish to offend anyone who suffers from a mental health issue.
Agree with all of that, it is very difficult to admit I've got problems and I couldn't speak to another man about my own problems unless they had their own mental health issues themselves, this whole macho thing with most blokes in today's society is very tough for me as I feel the opposite and can't stand the whole macho ideal and my mental health problems make me very emotional a lot of the time, yet most blokes would judge me for that. So yes, as a man, I find it ridiculously difficult to talk about my problems through shame and a week's time when I'll see an adviser at uni for it will be the first time I've actually spoken properly to someone about it.
Siman89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Olie)
Agree with all of that, it is very difficult to admit I've got problems and I couldn't speak to another man about my own problems unless they had their own mental health issues themselves, this whole macho thing with most blokes in today's society is very tough for me as I feel the opposite and can't stand the whole macho ideal and my mental health problems make me very emotional a lot of the time, yet most blokes would judge me for that. So yes, as a man, I find it ridiculously difficult to talk about my problems through shame and a week's time when I'll see an adviser at uni for it will be the first time I've actually spoken properly to someone about it.
Hope it goes well
LazyWorseThanInfidel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i have seen it being mentioned that men don't disclose their illness to GP's as much as women - i have heard it being said on the news by NHS representatives
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads