elbee_94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I've been looking at universities starting in sept 2013 and am quite keen on a psychology course at Bucks New Uni.

Does anyone know what Psychology is like there? If it's any good and what not.

And also what the nightlife is like in High Wycombe? Any good?

Thanks!!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you been to High Wycombe ....?

Its not exactly sophisticated or 'out there' in terms of anything.
JCEaster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elbee_94)
Hi I've been looking at universities starting in sept 2013 and am quite keen on a psychology course at Bucks New Uni.

Does anyone know what Psychology is like there? If it's any good and what not.

And also what the nightlife is like in High Wycombe? Any good?

Thanks!!
I don't go to Bucks New but I live in High Wycombe when I'm not at my university so I can tell you about the nightlife. Wycombe is only a town so it cant compare at all to proper student cities like Leeds, Newcastle etc.

You've got your SU club (which tbf I've never got round to going to) which I guess would be your main club as a student. I've heard good things about the SU though from students and non-students alike. In Wycombe town centre there isn't really an out-and-out club like an Oceana for example and the club we did have (Pure and Life on Mars) closed down last year. We have a Yates' though which serves as a kind of pub during the day then a nightclub at night (Tuesday - student night and then Friday and Saturday). My freshers started later than Bucks so I went down and it was very busy at Yates' on the first student night, it calms down quite a lot though. Yates' can be a good laugh if you're drunk enough however from my times going week in week out last year you do see the same faces a lot (student night is very popular with the locals).

Other than Yates' you've got Antelope ('lope) which is another pub that transforms into a club on Fridays nights. A bit more alternative music than Yates' but can also be a laugh if you're drunk. There's quite a few pubs (Roundabout, Falcon, Loosley) and a place called Nags Head which has live music sometimes (not my kinda thing so I've never been).

Outside of Wycombe town you've got Revolutions in Beaconsifeld, a bar serving food/alcohol mainly but becomes a nightclub some nights (Wednesday - student night then Friday and Saturday). A bit more upperclass than Yates' but still decent. As a student I don't know how much you'd go here (taxi from Wycombe is 10-15£ each way between four people). You've then got Winkers in Chalfont St Peter. It's a small club with a few rooms and the student night is Thursday but this place is literally in the middle of nowhere haha. Other than that you've got a few clubs in the surrounding areas (Windsor, Maidenhead, Uxbridge) but yeah as a student you probably won't go to any of these places!

I've rambled on for far too long about High Wycombe but yeah hopefully it's been at least a bit helpful. I'd recommend you looked around Wycombe to see if its your kind of thing. If you've got any questions just give us a shout and I wrote this on my iPad so please allow any incorrect punctuation/grammar haha .
sophie27891
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there! I'm a third year Psych student and currently living in Wycombe. The person above me has covered night life, so I'll cover the Psych side of things!

One of the best things about Bucks is that we are a really small uni, lecturers will know you by your name, you're not just a student number to them! There is generally around 60-75 Psych students a year, and you will generally be split into 2 or 3 seminar groups, so the seminar sizes are pretty small too! Secondly, the teaching is actually really really good! People can say that Bucks is not high up in the rankings overall, but for psychology we really are good!

The only thing that kind of sucks, is that in first year you are forced to take a sociology module, which we all really hated, but you just need to remember you only need 40% to pass!

In terms of assessments, we tend to do a really good combination of essays, presentations, exams etc. In second year you get to run a seminar! Which is pretty cool!

If you've got any questions at all, just give me a shout Soph x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
    Nursing Undergraduate
    Sat, 30 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads