pocket!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,
I would like to do a Primary PGCE either this year or next.
I currently have a Saturday job which I love, and would hate
to have to give it up!
Has anyone had any experience with doing a PGCE at the same
time as having a Saturday job? is it possible, or am I being
unrealistic?
Thank you!
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's possible but you will end up so exhausted that you would probably come to regret it.
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pocket!)
Hi guys,
to have to give it up!
unrealistic?
Thank you!
How many hours do you work at your Saturday job?

I don't have a Saturday job exactly, but I attend dancing and singing classes on a Saturday afternoon and teach one class. As a result, I'm out of the house for about 6 hours on a Saturday, and I have been managing this throughout my first placement of the PGCE. I get up early and work before going out, and tend to take the evening off (but then do lesson planningall Sunday). So if your Saturday job takes up a similar amount of time and you enjoy it so it's not causing you added stress, I'd say it's probably doable.

That said, once my dance show is over I plan on taking a break from it to concentrate on the PGCE because I know my 2nd placement will be much harder as I'll be teaching 15 hours per week instead of 10.
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's doable, just know that placement is a full time job. I have children and kept weekends free (well except Sun night!) Just be organised!
StarBabyCat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know somebody that does it (secondary) and she manages but I couldn't do it. No way; I need my weekend!! I'm a mum too so I want to spend time with my daughter, but even if I didn't I still wouldn't want to work, the week is hard enough without having a break
pocket!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thank you everyone. so how much work is there to do over the weekend/evening then?
because I guess thats the main reason for not being able to keep a saturday job up as well.
my job isnt very tiring, but it would leave me with only around 2 hours that day to do any pgce work.
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know a lot of people who have been through PGCEs and NQT years and I find that the ones who coped best were the ones who seriously applied themselves when they were working (no sitting in front of the tele and half-arsedly marking etc.) and then made time for themselves to have a serious evening off to relax or do their hobbies. If you work hard during the 9-5 day and apply yourself to work most evenings I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do your Saturday job. If you're in doubt then start doing it and see how it works out for you. Also, in my experiences, about 90% of my friends had a big meltdown in the middle of their PGCEs so don't panic if that happens too!
Imelda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pocket!)
Hi guys,
to have to give it up!
unrealistic?
Thank you!
I wondered the same. I graduated 6 years ago and I've had a full salary since! I do wonder how it will pan out financially :0/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
I know a lot of people who have been through PGCEs and NQT years and I find that the ones who coped best were the ones who seriously applied themselves when they were working (no sitting in front of the tele and half-arsedly marking etc.) and then made time for themselves to have a serious evening off to relax or do their hobbies. If you work hard during the 9-5 day and apply yourself to work most evenings I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do your Saturday job. If you're in doubt then start doing it and see how it works out for you. Also, in my experiences, about 90% of my friends had a big meltdown in the middle of their PGCEs so don't panic if that happens too!
What sort of meltdown? straightjackets??
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Imelda)
I wondered the same. I graduated 6 years ago and I've had a full salary since! I do wonder how it will pan out financially :0/
What PGCE have you applied for? Some of the bursaries are pretty generous - I actually have a higher income this year than I will as an NQT because the bursary is tax free...
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
What sort of meltdown? straightjackets??
Massive moments where they felt they wouldn't ever be able to finish their course. Where they felt they wouldn't ever be capable of being a teacher, no matter how much they worked.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you work smart you can probably afford to take Saturdays 'off', generally. So if you chose to spend that time working, you could. I wouldn't, though.
Imelda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by myrtille)
What PGCE have you applied for? Some of the bursaries are pretty generous - I actually have a higher income this year than I will as an NQT because the bursary is tax free...
D&T secondary. No bursaries for this year. I suppose the trick is to amass the equivalent bursary amount and with maintenance grants/ loans etc it will be possible. It'll will be worth it in the long run!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads