ThomSDK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, basically I've always dreamt about going to Cambridge but never thought of myself to be on that level. I'm studying maths, further maths, physics and computing at AS level and hope to carry all of them through to A2.
At GCSE I got some good grades, 3 A*s in maths, english lit and german. 6 As and I got an A in additional mathematics FSMQ which gained me 20 UCAS I believe!
I didnt work very hard at gcse and ive heard its not even worth applying to cambridge if you didnt get like 8 A*s at GCSE which has really upset me tbh. I just sat my January modules for AS level and they all went really well, im aiming 5 As as long as I don't screw up my Decision maths exam on friday! Is it true that there's no point in applying because i don't want it to be a waste of time. Otherwise I'll apply at other Uni's instead like Southampton or Sussex.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The very worst that can happen is that you've sacrificed one of your 5 ucas choices.

Seems a cheap enough ticket for the lottery.
Jcoope
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
I'm in U6 and have applied for CompSci at Uni. You get 5 choices on your UCAS application so why not go for it? You're doing great AS-Levels for taking CS at uni and your GCSE grades really don't mean that much - they are certainly decent. What you will need to do is get the best AS grades as poss, If you get less than AAAB at AS-Level then I don't think it's worth applying to Cambridge and get your predicted grades to A*AA or higher.
Go to their open days and see if you like it.
And remember you have 5 choices that you will need to narrow down to 2! So if you get good grades and predicted good grades AND you want to go - do it!
archdd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go for it. Grades are important but not everything - they want to see potential in you. No point applying to universities you're not interested, even if you get rejected you still have 4 more options.
influxious
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go for it! You never know! If you don't apply there is a 0% chance that you'll get in, if you do there's a higher percentage so why not try?
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThomSDK)
Hey guys, basically I've always dreamt about going to Cambridge but never thought of myself to be on that level. I'm studying maths, further maths, physics and computing at AS level and hope to carry all of them through to A2.
At GCSE I got some good grades, 3 A*s in maths, english lit and german. 6 As and I got an A in additional mathematics FSMQ which gained me 20 UCAS I believe!
I didnt work very hard at gcse and ive heard its not even worth applying to cambridge if you didnt get like 8 A*s at GCSE which has really upset me tbh. I just sat my January modules for AS level and they all went really well, im aiming 5 As as long as I don't screw up my Decision maths exam on friday! Is it true that there's no point in applying because i don't want it to be a waste of time. Otherwise I'll apply at other Uni's instead like Southampton or Sussex.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. You've mentioned Cambridge so I'm going to take the liberty of assuming you might be considering Oxford too :-)

To give you some context our standard conditional offer for CompSci is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. So, for us Maths is essential. Further Maths is strongly recommended as the best preparation for one of our CS courses. We also suggest a science such as Physics. So it looks like you've got a great set of AS/A2 subjects there. We only make offers based on three A-levels (and not on UCAS points), but we'll certainly notice that you've done more.

We don't have any specific requirements for GCSEs. Your grades are a bit below the average we normally see from successful candidates. But remember, it's just that: an average. I've certainly seen successful candidates with quite a bit lower. It's certainly not a deal breaker, especially as you've got the A* in Maths at GCSE.

I suggest you take a look at the details of our MAT test. It's the aptitude test that all of our CS candidates sit, and it will give you an idea of the level of Maths we're looking for. Those who have reached the interview period in the last couple of years have broadly speaking got over 50%.

But from what you've said, and assuming you're on track to meet our standard conditional offer - which it sounds like you could well be - then we'd be more than happy to receive and application from you.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads