The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starfish232
Hi could someone please explain why in the june 2010 paper the answer to question 5d(ii) is 8. I don't understand how they got the answer. Also, could someone please how the apparatus used in question 4 works? I don't understand how the potometer allows you to measure rate of water uptake.

Thanks

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL2-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL2-W-MS-JUN10.PDF

I asked the exact same question as you ages ago. =P
Here is a link to the explanation of that question:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2233709&page=12&p=42113722#post42113722
How do you calculate percentage change? And does anyone have any set answers for how science works questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melissajwilson
How do you calculate percentage change? And does anyone have any set answers for how science works questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difference over initial.

Example - There were 25 rabbits in a field and 2 hours later, there were 19, calculate the percentage change.

(25-19)/25 * 100 = 24% decrease.
Original post by Scienceisgood
I asked the exact same question as you ages ago. =P
Here is a link to the explanation of that question:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2233709&page=12&p=42113722#post42113722

Original post by Scienceisgood
Difference over initial.

Example - There were 25 rabbits in a field and 2 hours later, there were 19, calculate the percentage change.

(25-19)/25 * 100 = 24% decrease.

Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone has the january 2013 paper and marks scheme? Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 586
Going to fail
Reply 587
Original post by chrishy2012
anyone has the january 2013 paper and marks scheme? Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2233709&page=3&page=3
Mark scheme! Can't find the question paper though :confused:
Does water move via the symplastic pathway by diffusion or osmosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Does water move via the symplastic pathway by diffusion or osmosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If we are talking about plants here, water moves via osmosis by either the symplastic pathway or apoplastic pathway :smile:
Water always moves by osmosis. :biggrin:
Original post by chrishy2012

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ab9a51ce012167bc&id=AB9A51CE012167BC%21110

Link to my skydrive. =)
(edited 10 years ago)
Does someone have the Jan 2013 paper for Biol2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Can someone summaries the differences between symplastic pathway and apoplastic pathway
Original post by Paulineuh
If we are talking about plants here, water moves via osmosis by either the symplastic pathway or apoplastic pathway :smile:
Water always moves by osmosis. :biggrin:

But osmosis is the movement of water from a high concentration to low concentration through a partially permeable membrane?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 594
But osmosis is the movement of water from a high concentration to low concentration through a partially permeable membrane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's technically diffusion in the apoplastic pathway

Posted from TSR Mobile
In standard deviation, 'overlap' means that the results are more likely to be due to chance, right?

I really don't understand how you can tell if it's 'overlapping' just by looking at the numbers, and I really don't understand why overlapping means the results are more likely to be due to chance.

Sorry for the bad wording, hoping someone might be able to help me out here. :colondollar:
Original post by Swords N Thorns
In standard deviation, 'overlap' means that the results are more likely to be due to chance, right?

I really don't understand how you can tell if it's 'overlapping' just by looking at the numbers, and I really don't understand why overlapping means the results are more likely to be due to chance.

Sorry for the bad wording, hoping someone might be able to help me out here. :colondollar:

With the numbers, generally they show the +/- SDs alongside the values. You generally see if they over lap or not if the values are different to each other but if you find it difficult then you can just add and subtract the SDs from the value giving you a range for reach value. Looking at the ranges you can tell if there's any overlap or not.

Standard deviation shows spread of data about the mean. If there's overlap in standard deviation then that means that any difference in the results is more likely due to chance. In order for any difference in results not being due to chance then you would expect there to be no overlap,

Does this make sense? Not the best explanation...:redface:
Could someone please clarify that reason of one of the answers being 'less carcinogens' for 10e(iii) jan 2012 paper is because the reduced blood flow means lesser amount of carcinogens being received in those certain parts of the brain?
Reply 598

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, then I believe its diffusion... I always thought any movement of water was osmosis. :confused:

EDIT: In my Nelson Thornes textbook, it says "osmosis" and the differences in water potential that make the water move through the symplastic & apoplastic pathways.

With the numbers, generally they show the +/- SDs alongside the values. You generally see if they over lap or not if the values are different to each other but if you find it difficult then you can just add and subtract the SDs from the value giving you a range for reach value. Looking at the ranges you can tell if there's any overlap or not.

Standard deviation shows spread of data about the mean. If there's overlap in standard deviation then that means that any difference in the results is more likely due to chance. In order for any difference in results not being due to chance then you would expect there to be no overlap,

I was confused with SD but now it makes more sense! Thank you :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes! Thank you! :biggrin:

Latest