The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Potential Medic
Yes even though it might be a correct statement, it has insufficient detail, therefore you wouldn't get a mark.

Ok thankyou!
Original post by Suzanna5678
image.jpgHow on earth do we do this ?!

just draw a 0.1mm by 0.1mm (using their measurements) square onto the image and count the number of stomata within the square and x10 to get it from 0.1mm^2 to 1.0mm^2. Well thats how i would do it haha
Any predictions on what coming up? There got to be something on haemoglobin as it wasn't on the jan 13 paper
Original post by studentindistres
Any predictions on what coming up? There got to be something on haemoglobin as it wasn't on the jan 13 paper

I have a feeling they're going to throw lots of plant questions in :frown: Don't like the topic at all and also get us to calculate index of diversity. I hope haemoglobin comes up I like that topic. Guess it's just straightforward
Original post by elliewoodheadx
just draw a 0.1mm by 0.1mm (using their measurements) square onto the image and count the number of stomata within the square and x10 to get it from 0.1mm^2 to 1.0mm^2. Well thats how i would do it haha

Where do we draw the square though?! I'm so confused no idea how to actually go about it
Original post by Suzanna5678
Where do we draw the square though?! I'm so confused no idea how to actually go about it

Yeah thats what i was thinking, i'm sure you could draw it anywhere and they should accept a range of answers.. i'm actually not sure thought haha which paper was this from? I don't remember doing it..
Original post by maryamnc
So I was disheartened after getting a C yesterday in a past paper and got 140 UMS today! So happy :smile: Not going to let it go to my head though, but needed to share my happiness haha time to watch some tv I think!

How did you improve so quickly?!
I've done two past papers and got C's in them... :/
Original post by Claree
2^3 = 8.

If there's A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2:
A1 B1 C1
A1 B1 C2
A1 B2 C1
A1 B2 C2
A2 B1 C1
A2 B1 C2
A2 B2 C1
A2 B2 C2

For n pairs of chromosomes, number of possible arrangements is 2^n

If there are 2 pairs, 2x2 = 2^2=4. Adding one more pair doubles the possible no. of arrangements as for each of the current arrangements you can add either N1 or N2.

thank you so much, you explained it great :smile:
Reply 1608
Can someone summarise in bullet points

apoplastic and symplastic ways
Reply 1609
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Nope you won't need to calc SD.

Does anyone know how to calculate biodiversity index? We need to know that but i forget how to.

where N= total number of organisms of all species
and n= total number of organisms of each species

Do we have to know this formula or will they tell us?
Reply 1610
Original post by elliewoodheadx
What stage does crossing over actually happen in meiosis :s-smilie:

Late prophase or Metaphase during Meiosis I

I don't know which one, I'd like to know too
Reply 1611
Original post by looloo4

They will tell you, but you need to know how to go about doing the calculation.
Original post by looloo4

We are given it!
I'm having trouble understanding root pressure. The markscheme says its to do with ions moving into the xylem, lowering its water potential, causing water to enter the xylem by osmosis.

Where do the ions come from in the first place? Also, I don't see how the above has anything to do with pressure? Where does the part about water being shoved up the xylem due to pressure come in....

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1614
what happens during first growth G1, in interphase (cell cycle)
Original post by zbert
Late prophase or Metaphase during Meiosis I

I don't know which one, I'd like to know too

its metaphase of meiosis I, in prophase the chromosomes won't be visible and just shorten :smile:
image.jpgSomeone help
Reply 1617
Original post by Magenta96
I'm having trouble understanding root pressure. The markscheme says its to do with ions moving into the xylem, lowering its water potential, causing water to enter the xylem by osmosis.

Where do the ions come from in the first place? Also, I don't see how the above has anything to do with pressure? Where does the part about water being shoved up the xylem due to pressure come in....

Thank you :smile:

Endodermal cells actively transport mineral ions into the xylem vessels, reducing water potential inside the xylem vessels, hence water can move into the xylem down a water potential gradient by osmosis. This entry of water into the xylem vessels causes root pressure which is sufficient to push water up the xylem vessels.

Root pressure is particularly important in spring, before the growing season when the leaves have not formed, therefore are not transpiring.
anyknow what is the piont of SD?! and what does it do?
Original post by Sorro10
Endodermal cells actively transport mineral ions into the xylem vessels, reducing water potential inside the xylem vessels, hence water can move into the xylem down a water potential gradient by osmosis. This entry of water into the xylem vessels causes root pressure which is sufficient to push water up the xylem vessels.

Root pressure is particularly important in spring, before the growing season when the leaves have not formed, therefore are not transpiring.

are we allowed to say endodermis instead of endodermal cells? and okay so it is the endodermal cells that provide the mineral ions and the pressure is caused by water entering the xylem by osmosis. Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending