The Student Room Group

M1 23/1/2013 Thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MedMed12
anyone want to explain in jan 2012 why on question 5c the time is taken away from one another :l I just just left the two possible times i found :P

I remember doing the question and I believe it asked for the time it was above that height. So the two times you found represent it passing that point on both the way up and way down. Therefore in between them two times is the total time it was above that height. So subtract :smile:.
Reply 21
Original post by Mouth
I remember doing the question and I believe it asked for the time it was above that height. So the two times you found represent it passing that point on both the way up and way down. Therefore in between them two times is the total time it was above that height. So subtract :smile:.

i dont think im that sharp to pick that up ahah :P I guess I can hope
Reply 22
Original post by MedMed12
anyone want to explain in jan 2012 why on question 5c the time is taken away from one another :l I just just left the two possible times i found :P

The question asks for the length of time the stone is above 6.6m. I'm assuming you have values 227\frac{22}{7} and 37\frac{3}{7}. Those are the times for which the stone is at 6.6m.

When the stone is projected vertically upwards, it travels to its greatest height and then falls down to the point A. So it must cross the point 6.6m above A twice, when it is travelling upwards, and then again when it is travelling back down to A.

The first time it crosses is when t=37t = \frac{3}{7}, the second time it crosses, t=227t = \frac{22}{7}, so the time it's above that point is 22737\frac{22}{7} - \frac{3}{7}.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Joshmeid
The question asks for the length of time the stone is above 6.6m. I'm assuming you have values 227\frac{22}{7} and 37\frac{3}{7}. Those are the times for which the stone is at 6.6m.

When the stone is projected vertically upwards, it travels to its greatest height and then falls down to the point A. So it must cross the point 6.6m above A twice, when it is travelling upwards, and then again when it is travelling back down to A.

The first time it crosses is when t=37t = \frac{3}{7}, the second time it crosses, t=227t = \frac{22}{7}, so the time it's above that point is 22737\frac{22}{7} - \frac{3}{7}.

thank you very much! run out of reps :smile: but that makes sense now!
Reply 24
Y'all ready for this? My college decided to do M1 in the winter and C3+C4 in the summer for some reason. :redface:
Reply 25
Original post by Dorkins
Y'all ready for this? My college decided to do M1 in the winter and C3+C4 in the summer for some reason. :redface:

Snap! Not joking though, I don't understand most stuff to do with resolving.... I suck at mechanics. Here's to a resit in the summer!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
M1 QUICK RECAP:

What do you do if:

string's taut?
smooth pulley?
rough pulley?
extensible string?
inextensible string?
in equilibrium?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending