Do any other slim girls struggle finding clothes? Watch

IlexBlue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It's driving me mad tbh.

I'm pretty skinny, at just about 5"7ish and floating around between 7 and a half to 8 stone (before the cries of omg anorexic I have a small frame anyway, and a high metabolism that runs in my family.) I do have modest curves, but not as well-endowed as what's considered most common in the country.

But no clothes in the UK account for this at all. There's clothes for tall people - which I'm not - and there's clothes for tiny people - which I'm not - and then there's clothes for everyone else, which assumes every woman is a relatively thick, curvy si. 10 with C cup breasts. If that's not the case, then you're must be an 8 or a 6, with the correct proportional curves.

I'm an 8-10, as I'm tall-ish and while I don't weigh as much as some, I have enough "covering" to be healthy for my height and shape. But I have a tiny waist and a fairly small chest, so whereas a shirt should be fitted well or flatter me, I'm left with a baggy front and waist area that doesn't hug where it should, so I look like a 12 year old ironing board. A 6 on the other clings far too tightly because I'm not skinny enough for one, and the sleeves are even shorter than the 8s and 10s.
Also, being a 7 in shoes, they assume that having such "massive" feet means your legs are also tree trunk like, thus no boots ever fit my calf.

I order 90% of my clothes from East Asian online stores because they're the only clothes that actually give me a good fit and I feel good wearing them (due to how small girls tend to be there) but obviously my feet are a lot bigger than the norm there (:sigh:) and I'm taller, so finding shoes anywhere is absolutely impossible. Plus having to go online all the time to shop kind of sucks.

This kind of came from nowhere but I have been l have been looking for decent shoes for about 4 months now and trying to do some more online shopping to no avail, and felt frustrated after clearing out my wardrobe with all the frumpy high street buys that don't fit me but should.

Any other girls out there share a similar problem? :rolleyes:

tl;dr I'm too skinny compared to the country's standard and can't find clothes wahh what do
*~HeartShapedBox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes, like when I find something I really like in a shop and they only have Size 10 or above (no Size 8). I then try the 10 on and it's too big. This happens all too often for me If I want something baggy, like a hoodie or a jumper, I'll usually get a 10 or a 12 though.
OneDayDoctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure that they make less small sizes than they used to! I'm size 6/8 but usually just have to go for a 10. I have size 6/7 feet though (so I look like a clown :P) and I've found good shoes in newlook before. The other day they had size 8 leather boots on sale for £12, down from £50. Unfortunately they were far too big But at least they have bigger sizes! I buy a lot off of the internet, like boohoo and asos since there's more chance of small sizes.
rattusratus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im 8 top because i like my tops tight but i find they are often too tight around the shoulder/ampit and the seems burst or the sleeves are too short

i also bought a dress for graduation from asos recently and despite the fact i have the skinniest wrist (basically just bone) the sleeve was still to tight at the bottom, i got a new coat at Christmas and its beautiful but so tight at the elbow that i cant move my arms after the size 8 dress from asos being to small i ordered a blazer in a 10 (to go with the dress) and the blazer is too big now i need to get it altered because it was the smallest they did :cry2:

im not even that small really just bizarrely proportioned im a 12 at the hips and a 10 at the shoulders but an 8 in the middle, im also 5'8" and have size 7 feet
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IlexBlue)
It's driving me mad tbh.

I'm an 8-10, as I'm tall-ish and while I don't weigh as much as some, I have enough "covering" to be healthy for my height and shape. But I have a tiny waist and a fairly small chest, so whereas a shirt should be fitted well or flatter me, I'm left with a baggy front and waist area that doesn't hug where it should, so I look like a 12 year old ironing board. A 6 on the other clings far too tightly because I'm not skinny enough for one, and the sleeves are even shorter than the 8s and 10s.
Also, being a 7 in shoes, they assume that having such "massive" feet means your legs are also tree trunk like, thus no boots ever fit my calf.

I order 90% of my clothes from East Asian online stores because...
I totally get what you mean. I'm not tall but have all the other problems you mention and I rarely go shopping because nothing ever fits well. Tops are always way too low cut because I'm small chested. I don't know why shops design all tops for very ample chested women. It's not fair because there's so much variety in boob size and surely it makes more sense to change the proportions of clothing so as you down the sizes to 8 and 6 you make the neck lines less and less deeper. A size 6 and A or AA cupped woman is obviously going to look silly with a deeply cut neck line and in dresses is going to need something tighter at the front or it's just going to hang down at the front whereas a curvier size 16 would look great with a deeper neckline as it would look flattering without revealing too much.

And I feel like petite sections are shrinking and petite sizes are disappearing.

Can you message me some of the names of some of those sites please?
*~HeartShapedBox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Topshop's Tall range is great for me to find jeans that don't come up too short
SHABANA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have the same issue. I am 5"4" and just over 7 stone - I can eat what I like and don't put on any weight. I like to think I am well-proportioned enough but I have quite a small waist (25 inches). The main thing I find is an issue when buying clothes is trousers/jeans as I have really slim thighs but my bum is normal lol.
I think the main problem is shops saying something is a size 8 etc. when it actually isn't.
Shops I've found where the clothes are slim enough: H&M, Pull and Bear, Bershka, Superdry
I tend to wear branded jeans (not just for the brand but if they have nice denim/the look I want) you could look around in TKMaxx. I recently got some Quiksilver jeans (the ones called Lorne) which are AMAZING, tight enough in the leg but enough stretch in the waist. Also, All Saints do decent jeans I think as I got some carrot fit ones from there.
rainbow.panda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 5 ft 2.5, about 7 1/2 stone and I have a 25 inch waist. I don't have a problem finding clothes as such, although often I find my size is sold out in shops so I have to buy them online. I wear a size 6 in tops and an 8 in jeans. I have more of a problem finding things like bras, bracelets, belts, rings and shoes due to my small frame. I'm a 26 back in bras (perhaps 24 in some cases) which literally doesn't exist in shops, and I have pretty narrow feet so shoes are just too wide for me, if they don't have laces or straps on them they won't stay on.

I just wish the lingerie industry would pay attention to the fact that some of us just don't fit into the "normal" back sizes of 32-38. I'm sick of having to have my bras altered just because I'm slimmer than average :/
Imog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm roughly 5'5, about 7.5 stone and very skinny (I do eat healthy amounts but I must have a fast metabolism as I don't gain weight easily). I also have very narrow feet, but I'm a size 7. In trousers I'm pretty much a size 8 everywhere, but in tops I can range from a 6 to a 10 which is a pain.

Finding shoes is hard for me if I want something that's more open. I've given up on trying to wear ballet pumps because they just fall off my feet. It's also hard to find dresses that look right on me, because I'm only a 30A so I can't fill out a lot of dresses which leaves an ugly bulge of material in the back . I also have a bit of trouble buying bras, unless I look in the kids' range, which is very depressing when you're 17.

I'm usually OK with jeans, but because my legs are quite long sometimes the waist can be a little baggy or the leg length is too short.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IlexBlue)
It's driving me mad tbh.

I'm pretty skinny, at just about 5"7ish and floating around between 7 and a half to 8 stone (before the cries of omg anorexic I have a small frame anyway, and a high metabolism that runs in my family.) I do have modest curves, but not as well-endowed as what's considered most common in the country.

But no clothes in the UK account for this at all. There's clothes for tall people - which I'm not - and there's clothes for tiny people - which I'm not - and then there's clothes for everyone else, which assumes every woman is a relatively thick, curvy si. 10 with C cup breasts. If that's not the case, then you're must be an 8 or a 6, with the correct proportional curves.

I order 90% of my clothes from East Asian online stores because they're the only clothes that actually give me a good fit and I feel good wearing them (due to how small girls tend to be there) but obviously my feet are a lot bigger than the norm there (:sigh:) and I'm taller, so finding shoes anywhere is absolutely impossible. Plus having to go online all the time to shop kind of sucks.

This kind of came from nowhere but I have been l have been looking for decent shoes for about 4 months now and trying to do some more online shopping to no avail, and felt frustrated after clearing out my wardrobe with all the frumpy high street buys that don't fit me but should.

Any other girls out there share a similar problem? :rolleyes:

tl;dr I'm too skinny compared to the country's standard and can't find clothes wahh what do
try H&M or teen ranges?
trails
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha, I have this problem. I have a very slim waist (22/23 inches, because of genetics, my mum was the same at 18), but 35/36 inch hips, so finding jeans is the worst thing ever. I still haven't found anywhere that fits me properly - it's always to baggy at the waist. So annoying. >.<

10 on the bottom, 4/6/8 on top. lol. Damn genetics. ugh.
YYY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have this problem too but mine's a lot worse. I am a size 4-6 and I'm short with a small frame and D cup boobs. Most clothing stores don't have size 4 and often size 6 is too big. I often find that I have to pay someone to get my clothes adjusted as I have no alternative. Just recently I purchased a size 6 skirt from Topshop but unfortunately it is so huge on me it falls off when I walk.

When buying tops, sometimes the smaller sizes don't fit across my boobs or they'll fit really tight there but then be really big around my waist. It's so frustrating.

I also have a problem buying jewellery as almost all bracelets and rings are massive for me, even the ones in extra small.

If I gain weight I just look pudgy because I have such a small frame, so I can't win either way.
YYY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by trails)
Haha, I have this problem. I have a very slim waist (22/23 inches, because of genetics, my mum was the same at 18), but 35/36 inch hips, so finding jeans is the worst thing ever. I still haven't found anywhere that fits me properly - it's always to baggy at the waist. So annoying. >.<

10 on the bottom, 4/6/8 on top. lol. Damn genetics. ugh.
Sounds like a hot figure! You're very lucky
SNR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We're all clearly shopping in the wrong places. Where ever I go all I can get is sizes 4-10, not a single 12/ 14 in sight.
llessur123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah it's impossible. I'm a size 4 and there I just have to wear a size 6, bit ironic as most of the models that wear the clothes have the same measurements as me but on the site it claims they are a size 8 or 10.

Measurements of 33-23-33 are not a size 10 ASOS, sorry.

*Someone quoted me saying this was in fact a size 10. According to the ASOS sizing chart then my bust is an 8/10, I have big boobs compared to the rest of my body and 28 band size, a size 4 waist is 22 inches and three quarters, a size 4 hip is 32 inches and three quarters. So yeah, I fit a size 4 much closer than I fit a size 6. A size 10 would absolutely hang off of me.
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm 5 ft 5 and a half and weigh somewhere between 7 and a half to 8 stone, and I can see where you're coming from a little, I'm finding size 6 too tight and size 8 a little loose. I tend to go for size 6s because I'd rather my clothes to be fitted but sometimes it can be tricky finding clothes... I find Zara really good especially their jeans.
hannah_b_7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a similar problem, except I'm nearly 5ft 10 but have quite a slim frame so find it impossible to find jeans that actually reach the floor. Ive found shops like Levis do good ones as they have all the combinations of waist and leg lengths you could wish for and so I suppose they could do different combinations for shorter girls as well? They can be expensive but last FOREVER so I'd say its worth it.
AlexEnglandy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you tried H&M or New Look?
trails
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by YYY)
Sounds like a hot figure! You're very lucky
Lol, thank you. You too.
Not sure if I'm lucky though, because I'm tall-ish (5'5.5") I look a bit too slim at the waist. I do like my waist, even if it's impossible finding clothes to fit it. I wish they'd make clothes for a wider range of sizes. :/ Designer brands are good I've found though.
ThenAaliyahSaid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have this similar problem although I'm 5'5 and I'm 8 stones. I am slim although 8 stones sounds quite a lot. I have big hips (compared to my slim physique) and a tiny waist and a smallish bust. So it's so hard finding the perfect dress. It's also hard finding the correct size for jeans. Size 8 is far too tight, size 10 is a little bit tight and size 12 fits me on the hips however is too baggy down below. However I tend to wear high waisted jeans which are just perfect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.85%
No (182)
76.15%

Watched Threads