The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA studying abroad

I'm looking into doing an English Lit degree with UEA.
On their website, it says that I may have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester in Australia.
I was just wondering, how affordable are Semesters abroad, as I will not be able to get the financial support from my family.
As in, will i need to save every penny, what will i be expected to pay for etc.
And what are everyone's experiences with UEA study abroad!
Australia has expensive living costs - not from experience, just something I've heard.
Aside from food/life etc, there'll be accommodation and some very expensive flights - and more costs if you want to travel round the the country.

I spent a year in the US, and I had to pay for accommodation and a meal plan, as well as medical insurance. ($1600) I had to have a full health check in the UK, not covered by the NHS, as well as an additional couple of jabs in the US because they decided it hadn't been done right. (They were $20 each, with the insurance).

I don't know how these medical costs/insurance compare to Australia.

But I also had to prove - with a bank statement - possession of funds to last the year's study, which was £9,000.
So you might have to get hold of such a statement from family, which can obviously be difficult.

The tuition fees will be half what you'd pay at UEA (if it was like my year abroad) but there are more costs than you think.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
would you say its hard to get the money for it?
and would you say it would be worth it in the end?

plus, is there any financial aid, or scholarships or bursary's that could help with these costs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by camus1234
I'm looking into doing an English Lit degree with UEA.
On their website, it says that I may have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester in Australia.
I was just wondering, how affordable are Semesters abroad, as I will not be able to get the financial support from my family.
As in, will i need to save every penny, what will i be expected to pay for etc.
And what are everyone's experiences with UEA study abroad!

Hi!

Whilst I can't offer you any first hand experience, I thought I would offer you some further info:

We have a scheme called The Exchange Programme, where you continue to pay the normal rate for your accommodation and pay no extra for a room in the country you wish to spend a semester in. If you would like to know more about this I would contact the study abroad office (contact details below).

You will however need to fund your travel costs, visa and insurance. Whilst you will continue to receive your full Student Loan and grant which may help to cover some of the costs, Student Finance England may also be able to help as they offer a 'Travel Grant'. When you apply for Student Finance, there is an option to request a pack for this, or you can contact them directly for more information, all I know is that you have to pay for the first £303 before you are entitled to any grant.

One more thing, you can view the list of our partner universities including those in Australia here if you haven't already: http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/study-abroad/UEAabroad/infohum/hum/sainstitutions

The Study Abroad co-ordinator for your course choice can be contacted on [email protected] and can hopefully offer you more information as he will have helped many students with their arrangements.

The study abroad email address is [email protected] and you can give the team a call on 01603 592823.

Good luck! If you need to know anything else just let me know.

Hannah
Reply 4
If you are spending the year abroad, as I plan to in Australasia, you only pay £1350 out of the £9000 tuition fees for the year. You also can claim back up to 3 return flights from Student Finance (via the travel grant). I have worked out that its going to cost me (excluding tuition to UEA) up to £20,000 for the year abroad what with the accommodation costs, living costs, flights etc. But as I said, visa costs, insurance and flights you may be able to be reimbursed for. Even though I get full student finance support, I will still have to save up around £10,000 still to be able to afford it. Obviously you can work whilst there (up to 20hrs a week on a student visa, and the lady I spoke to from Murdoch Uni in Perth said you can get paid around $20 an hour (£13 an hour!!) with a part-time job), and you have two summers to save up!
Not sure entirely how the semester abroad works as I am Biological Sciences with a year in Australasia. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending