The Student Room Group

Hydrochloric Acid and Marble Chips Reaction

Hi guys :smile:

I am halfway through completing my controlled assessment for GCSE Chemistry. It is about how temperature affects the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid and marble chips (calcium carbonate).

I need to find some secondary evidence of results for this specific experiment. So far, I have only been able to find results based on the effects of the concentration of the acid. Does anyone have results for the effect of temperature?

Thanks in advance.
Heat it up and do the reaction and determine the rate yourself?

You would expect that as it's an exothermic reaction it would prefer lower external temperatures to drive the equilibrium towards the products ie. CaCl2, CO2 + H2O, but at lower temperatures you also slow down the rate of reaction. It's all about a bit of a compromise to find the peak rate of reaction in regards to temperature.
Reply 2
I know how to do the experiment, I just need someone else's results.

Obviously if I do the experiment again my self I will end up with the same results, that looks dodgy.
Reply 3
Original post by Jay-Dee
I know how to do the experiment, I just need someone else's results.

Obviously if I do the experiment again my self I will end up with the same results, that looks dodgy.

Surely the easiest way is to use your peers results, or other classes results, its easier to ask for permission then as well.
Reply 4
My teacher wants us to find secondary evidence from the internet, so we can use the website in our bibliography (or so he says).

Apparently it's more beneficial to comment on an internet-derived source of data than a set of results from class mates which is likely to be more accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest