alliieexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
HIII
firstly a quick overview about myself: I am in 6.1 at the moment and i am taking psychology, biology, English and Business and the two careers options that i have been interested in is law and nursing.
My uncle is in the RAF and he was telling me how you can nurse in the RAF or in the armed forces in general, he said that it would suit my personality because im energetic and a fast thinker. so i did some research,
you can join as a student after A2 and do your 3 year course in adult nursing in Birmingham ( i live outside Birmingham) and then you do placements in the NHS and in armed forces bases in the UK, and then after you get your degree you get moved into the RAF as a registered nurse,
i like the idea of helping the people who fight for out country and i like the thought of it being fast and that you would need a lot of ad-reline but i don't know if its better to get my degree in nursing at uni and then apply or apply after a2,
the nearest RAF career office is about 30 minutes away so i need to go there one day after school (6form) to talk to them,
but do you have any ideas?
( i also saw that if i did opt for law that after gaining my degree and 2 years experience i could enter the RAF as a officer but im not sure)
thankyou!xxx
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RAF Careers website = http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/nursingofficer.cfm
teasin_tina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The best advice I can offer is apply before uni, if you don't get it then try again after. It's never a negative if you fail and come back but if you apply before uni and get in then good for you, it costs you nothing to try and if unsuccessful at least you know what to expect next time around.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
RAF_Nurse!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Train first, join later. 2 years post-qual experience does mean you could be considered for the Offr Corps.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depending on what you want from your university experience will depend on whether you sign up before training as a nurse or after. If you want the full uni experience of being able to go out, do as you wish, then training as a civilian would suit you better, however if you want financial stability through being at uni then joining before going to uni would mean you are on a proper salary off the forces along with the support they give their students.
Natha p123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am debating whether to do university or train as a student nurse in the RAF but my only thing is the service rules for a student nurse are confusing, also if I trained and then joined up can I decide which sector to go in, as I want to go into the tactical medical wing, does that man I need to do that in my trade training after initial training? As I ant to do areomedical evacuation or DARTS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.88%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.45%

Watched Threads