what do you think of teachers pets? Watch

username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In the long run it'll help, as teachers will be more willing to offer them help and advice. So I don't really care.
FlyingTeapot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Teaching is a demanding and under-appreciate job for many in the profession. If there's a kid in the class that wants to learn, is attentive, and makes life easy for the teacher, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the teacher responded by treating them favourably. Some kids are just smarter and need more challenges than the rest of the class.

There's a mutual cycle between the teacher and student of good behaviour/grades earning good treatment, which encourages good behaviour/grades, etc. In an ideal world all schoolkids would behave this well and they'd all get to be teachers pets. However the case is usually that one child sees another getting what they understand as preferential treatment but haven't figured out why, so they get jealous rather than realising they can earn preferential treatment too.
Decerto
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think all they do is be appreciative and kind to the teachers. This way they get more help and more challenges which will essentially help then get a better grade.

There is nothing wrong being appreciative and kind towards teachers. All the teachers want is to get good grades for their class. If anything, it will help the teach pets.:P
ThenAaliyahSaid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As Calllu-m said teachers will be willing to offer help for example my English teacher had like four favourites, me including and he would invite us in for after school/holiday/saturday sessions and his friend who is a WJEC examiner used to come in once a month and would help us. There were also other smart kids in the class however they didn't seem that bothered but yeah in the long run us four getting A* in English Language in year 10. So I would say being a teachers pet is great!
ElectricFetus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Being a teacher's pet is basically reward for being a good student who is willing to learn.

Though 'teacher's pets' can also be idiots in the class who the teacher favours. For example: in year 9 I had a food tech teacher; she would favour the students who were awful (the orange, loud mouthed, chavs). I didn't understand this. I heard her say many times that she was like them when she was a teen...maybe that's why?

But in most circumstances the teacher's pet has been someone who deserved it. I have been the teacher's pet; where teacher favoured me and others within the class; this is only because I was willing to learn what being taught to me.

The majority of teachers will give their most attention to people who are attentive and actually want to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Teacher's pet": a word that says more about the speaker than the target.

Want positive attention from someone? Do things (like your homework) that deserve positive attention; don't resent other people and call them derogatory names.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been a teachers pet before, it's a great position to be in. In the first year of school/college you pull out the stops & go out of your way to create a positive impression and in my experience this lasts and you don't get asked questions in class as much, and the teacher is more likely to be lenient on you should you forget homework or something. Being polite and having manners goes a long way.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can be a teacher's pet without being an idiot about it. I knew a girl at high school who tried SO hard to be the "teacher's pet" but actually just ended up being more annoying and clingy than anything else. Whereas I just worked hard, did my homework on time, volunteered myself for answers in class and offered to do anything that the teacher needed doing (handing books out etc). I got a lot of extra help and one to one classes during my GCSEs and A Levels thanks to the fact that I was always so positive, and I don't really care what anyone else says about it. I'm still in touch with a lot of my teachers, and even spend time with some of them socially now- they're just people at the end of the day, and being nice to people is never bad.
DeadGirlsDance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In some subjects I am but in others I'm not. If you just do all your work and answer a few questions when you know that nobody else will (I mainly do this to stop there being an awkward silence though),then it's not too hard for them to like you. Sometimes though the teacher likes people you wouldn't expect like the loud ones because they find them funny. If you forget your homework then they're a lot more lenient to you because of this which is always good :laugh:.
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's fine as long as the teacher doesn't favour the pupil too much. It can become annoying for them as well as the rest of the class!
Sammydodga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find that a lot of teachers only like the clever kids and i think that everyone in the class should be treated the same if they are trying their best..

Posted from TSR Mobile
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm personally fine with them unless their rewarded for dumb reasons. I'm a teacher's pet in certain subjects such as English, however in some instances such as Maths I get great grades but my teacher couldn't care less and favours those who simply shout for attention all the time but are below even average.

Luckily for me, in most if not all lessons where I'm a 'teacher's pet' no one makes fun of me or treats me differently, they're actually willing for me to help them if they need help or just find it awesome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads