How do you feel when a person claiming to be homeless asks you for money? Watch

Young & Ready
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The last few times I have been out shopping I have come across people claiming to be homeless and asking for money.

Most recently was yesterday, I had been shopping and was carrying about 3 top brand bags, I walked past this very young lad, perhaps aged 24 at a guess, he was sitting on the cold icy floor, was wearing half ripped clothes and was holding out a cup asking for change, I told him I didn't have change ((as for known reason's, I don't just like to hand out money to people who'd probably just spend it on alcohol/drugs)) so I sadly walked past him not feeling quite right that I had ''this'' money and not using it to help others so I ended up going into KFC and buying him a snack box and hot drink, I went back to the lad and said, here have this, and he said back in a horrible manner '' I asked for money/change,if I wanted food I'd have asked for food'' yet he still took the food and drink and said a quiet thank you as I walked away.

How should I approach these people from now on, could I have offended him in any way by buying him a meal and drink or was he just after money to abuse himself?
The Wild Youth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get a sandwich for an old homeless guy every time I walk past him in my city. He always sits in the same place, making origami animals and boxes and things and whenever I get him a sandwich, he gives me a new origami creature.

I don't like giving out straight money to the homeless; just something I grew up with I guess and I know lots don't either. I can't see someone who is genuinely homeless being offended by someone buying them food, it's a nice gesture and although probably not what they want, if you don't want to give straight money, I think it's a pretty good compromise.

Who knows what the lad wanted the money for? Don't feel bad about his manner, you did a nice thing. Perhaps if you're unsure of what to do next time someone approaches you, you can offer to buy them some food or perhaps a coffee because 'you don't have change', that way you can give them a chance to say no without you left feeling confused about a simple act of kindness
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just donate money to homeless charities e.g. Shelter rather than giving money to homeless people on the street
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel a bit awkward, but it isn't going to make me give money to them.
The_Last_Melon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd never give them money as they might spend it on drugs, if they needed food or water I'd buy it for them though.
Monarose
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel a little guilty when I don't give them money. The problem is that in some (evidently not all) cases, the money will go towards drugs, so I usually give out food/drinks instead. As mentioned above, donating to a homeless shelter will help them too.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I tend to give money to homeless people. I'm not going to withhold money that I don't need just because they might spend it on drugs. If I was homeless, I know I would be grateful for every penny.
Em8980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I have change, I tend to give it to them.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I sometimes give money, but I've heard you shouldn't (there are even official posters up about it). Does anyone know if this is true? Do most homeless people spend the money on drugs?

There's a very young, very petite, homeless girl on the main street in my city, and last week I saw her with serious bruising all over her face. I also often see her exchanging money with a massive homeless man who hangs around the same place, and sometimes with an older woman. I don't know if she's being extorted or protected. Like every single other person I just walk past, and yes I feel awful, but that doesn't stop it happening.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think about the value of my clothes and think its not right I wont spot them 2.50 for a big issue or a cup of tea or something.
Solid.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really tend to give money as we have benefits in place in this country for a reason...

One time a homeless guy was begging on the streets for some money a couple of hours later, when i finished work, i saw him again but this time carrying a brand new boxed TV in between his arms before catching the bus...

Another time, i saw a guy on the street begging for some money so he could buy some sugars for his diabetic medical condition. Moments later i saw him standing around with a few of his mates with a beer in his hand...
Solid.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But the bottomline i guess it's just difficult to assess who are genuinely in need of that extra little financial help and those who are just using it as an extra means to earn a bit of easy money on the side...

That's why i prefer to give my money to charities and such that focus mainly on third world countries where many people lack the basic neccessities and infrastructures in place to live a normal life, let alone survive...
Goldiefish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live in a city centre so I get approached by homeless people a lot. I never give them anything because I don't have any 'spare' money, and I always feel really bad about it. The way I see it though is that if I gave money to every single person who asked me for some, I'd soon be out there with them and that would make the homeless situation worse rather than better.
whyumadtho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Indifferent.
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd never give out money (in case it's used for alcohol/drugs) but I'll offer them a coffee or a sandwich or something. If they say no, then they can piss off. You can't afford to be picky when you're homeless.
This Honest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Happened to me yesterday on the way to work.
I had my earphones in and he was trying to talk to me but I pretended to ignore him but he wasn't moving! So when I did respond, I said I had no change.
It's a bit awkward but I don't give money out to random strangers. He went on to ask some more people before crossing the road and he was gone :moon:
93jm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look if they are spending it on booze they are probably alcoholics and need a drink to get throw the day. Also think about what it must be like to spend your life sat on the floor freezing whilst people dismiss you simply because you don’t have a place to live .they are people too and if I was homeless I would hope someone would give me change from time to time.
Zenzic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-_-

Wow!
Try and do a simple kind act with what I had yet people don't approve. Least the dog got fed.
It had ONE bite.
faber niger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think I could survive out on the streets without being drugged up on opiates or alcohol, so I just give whatever change I have in my pocket (unless I don't have much, and of course I never do have enough to give to everyone who's out there). You won't better their condition just by removing the few comforts that they have in it.

(Original post by Zenzic)
I offered a homless man half of my sandwich walking through town the other day. Granted it was half eaten but he refused it so I gave it his dog. He mustn't of been that starving to refuse a nice sandwich
You gave him a half-eaten sandwich? Let the man have a little dignity.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zenzic)
I offered a homless man half of my sandwich walking through town the other day. Granted it was half eaten but he refused it so I gave it his dog. He mustn't of been that starving to refuse a nice sandwich
I'd have kicked your ass if I was the homeless person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads