The Student Room Group

Student loan went into someone else's account

I have been trying to get my student loan sorted for months as it somehow went into the wrong account (not belonging to me) same sort code but a different account number. Due to data protection act I can only see the last 3 numbers but they were entirely different. I have called up multiple times to try and get this sorted. First time they gave me a tracking number to take to my bank to get them to sort it out. After lots of to-ing and fro-ing between student finance and the bank. The bank finally told me they can't trace it that way and have no way to recall the money anyway. I then went back to student finance who were apparently doing a trace memo on the payment and to call back in a few weeks, I called again in a few weeks. There was no record of any trace memo being sent. So repeated. Meanwhile they told me to send them my correct bank details which I did, the second payment says the status is paid even though the bank details are now correct and I have received no payment. I am now considering legal action as they are being no help and I can't really think of anything else to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by badger16uk
I have been trying to get my student loan sorted for months as it somehow went into the wrong account (not belonging to me) same sort code but a different account number. Due to data protection act I can only see the last 3 numbers but they were entirely different. I have called up multiple times to try and get this sorted. First time they gave me a tracking number to take to my bank to get them to sort it out. After lots of to-ing and fro-ing between student finance and the bank. The bank finally told me they can't trace it that way and have no way to recall the money anyway. I then went back to student finance who were apparently doing a trace memo on the payment and to call back in a few weeks, I called again in a few weeks. There was no record of any trace memo being sent. So repeated. Meanwhile they told me to send them my correct bank details which I did, the second payment says the status is paid even though the bank details are now correct and I have received no payment. I am now considering legal action as they are being no help and I can't really think of anything else to do. Any help would be appreciated.

A) Talk to your university, hopefully they should have people on hand to help.

B) Try citizens advice, i'm not sure if they'll help but it's worth a shot.

It's a tricky one. Maybe send a letter of complain and threaten legal action if they don't sort it out in a number of weeks. Sorry i'm not much help, I hope my 2 pence has helped a little :P

Good luck!
Original post by badger16uk

hello i am having this same problem at the moment and i have no clue what to do about it. can you let me know what happened?

Latest

Trending

Trending