Tridentus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I'm planning on transferring to York next year and i was wandering if you guys could help me get an idea of the place..

The uni i'm at at the mo i think feels impersonal- the city is a little grim. It's not really the type of uni where you know loads of people and end up saying hi to people often during your day. I think i probably met about 25 people the whole of freshers (about 20 of which were guys) which was a massive let down, obviously i've not kept in contact with the majority.. there's no community feel about the place, and people generally huddle together with the very first bunch of friends they find. that's not to say people here aren't outgoing, they are but they're more loud than friendly. It reminds me of college more than anything- get in get your degree get out, make friends where you can but generally just get on with it.

I'm kinda hoping people can tell me York is different? is there a nice feel to the place, is there any sense of community? I'm looking forward to at least having some good societies to go to, as the societies at my current uni are relatively inactive, i've heard the ones at York are really good.
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tridentus)
From my experience the people at York are really friendly and it's quite easy to make friends in your course or through societies. That said people obviously have certain friend groups they usually stick to. I guess it all depends a bit on you too.

Regarding societies, York is one of the unis with the most societies in the country. The one's I have joined or have friends involved in are usually quite active (ballroom dancing for example has 3 practices a week + socials and competitions).
Raenie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tridentus)
Hey, I'm planning on transferring to York next year and i was wandering if you guys could help me get an idea of the place..

The uni i'm at at the mo i think feels impersonal- the city is a little grim. It's not really the type of uni where you know loads of people and end up saying hi to people often during your day. I think i probably met about 25 people the whole of freshers (about 20 of which were guys) which was a massive let down, obviously i've not kept in contact with the majority.. there's no community feel about the place, and people generally huddle together with the very first bunch of friends they find. that's not to say people here aren't outgoing, they are but they're more loud than friendly. It reminds me of college more than anything- get in get your degree get out, make friends where you can but generally just get on with it.

I'm kinda hoping people can tell me York is different? is there a nice feel to the place, is there any sense of community? I'm looking forward to at least having some good societies to go to, as the societies at my current uni are relatively inactive, i've heard the ones at York are really good.
there's definitely a great atmosphere at York Uni if you're the right type of person. Being a pretty prestigious and high achieving university it has a bit of a subdued atmosphere, but there's also a fantastic night life and it's very social!

The college system is a bonus as well since the different colleges have different atmospheres. All of them are sociable and great, but each have their own reputations.
Goodricke and Langwith are quieter as they're on Heslington East, the smaller campus.
James has a reputation of being a little snobby at times and tends to have a lot of sporty people, but it's a really nicely furbished place.
Chemists and the really sciency types apply to Alcuin because it's quiet and set apart from the other colleges but it's only a two minute walk from the main hub anyway.
Vanbrugh is in the middle of it all and tends to be the place where loads of different types mix.
Halifax has a reputation of being a little reclusive, though my friend was in it last year and said that the atmosphere was so friendly and it was like it's own little bubble.
Derwent is the college I'm in and is generally viewed as the competitive and most sociable college. The buildings aren't set into flats and you can just walk across all the corridoors and knock on anyones doors. It's old fashioned corridoor style and not the best looking place to be in but it's a great atmosphere.

There's a lot of inter-college competition though, so you're bound to meet people from other colleges anyway!

I really think that the atmosphere in York is amazing, the town is gorgeous and it has so much culture as well as a fantastic student night out!
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Goodricke and Langwith are quieter as they're on Heslington East, but the buildings are modern and the accommodation looks nicer than most of Hes-West (Maybe except New-Vanbrugh?).

James is friendly and open, priding itself in it's internationality. Through the arrangement in Quads it's also quite social.

Alcuin is a bit quieter. You can't move between different floors as easily because you need key cards to get into the other floors. The accommodation is nicer than most others on hes-west though. That said, most of the house parties I attended this year were in Alcuin.

Vanbrugh: Can't say too much, never really experienced it. It seems to be a lot of grey buildings scattered around where I could never quite pin-point exactly where it is. I'm sure it's just as good as the rest though. New-Vanbrugh is a bit secluded and quieter, but has one of the best accommodation's on hes-west.

Halifax is a bit further away (like a 5-10 minute walk to campus, depending on where you want to go). It doesn't have a bar anymore, so might be a bit secluded. But, again, can't really judge.

Derwent: It's the college everyone is sort of picking on (e.g. "this place would be so lovely if it wasn't for derwent", etc.) and it looks like a prison, all grey-in-grey. That said, the open corridors are quite nice and social. You can literally just walk into other flats / kitchens. So it's quite social.
Tridentus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thanks guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed