Question about changing trains Watch

Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When you have to change trains, do you have to get the next train available at the connection station or can you get a later one? Reason being I'm going to a gig overnight and on the way back the next day the station to change at is my hometown and I want to visit my parents. Would I be able to leave the station and come back and get a later train or would ticket barriers/inspectors have a tizzy? Is this allowed or would I have to get 2 tickets?
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends a bit on what sort of ticket you have.

If you have an Advance ticket (i.e. with booked seats for specific trains), you have to get on those trains and can't use your ticket for anything else (though they would generally be reasonable if, say, a massive delay to train 1 meant that you missed train 2).

If you have a return ticket with no reservations, then generally the rule is that you can't break your outward journey, but it's fine to break your return journey. So if you're travelling from town A to town C to see a gig, then you couldn't stop at town B on the way there, but you could on the way back. Obviously, you do have to respect any other restrictions on the ticket (i.e. if it's an off-peak ticket you won't be able to travel at certain times).
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Persipan)
It depends a bit on what sort of ticket you have.

If you have an Advance ticket (i.e. with booked seats for specific trains), you have to get on those trains and can't use your ticket for anything else (though they would generally be reasonable if, say, a massive delay to train 1 meant that you missed train 2).
:yes: This is what I was told.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Its not an advance ticket, just an off peak return. Should have made that clear.

So the ticket barrier wouldn't eat your ticket? It is it best to show an actual person?
I'll probably double check with someone at the station too. I was just wondering if anyone had done this
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Double check to make sure you can break your journey.
lauraaaa.xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know if the barrier would eat your ticket or not because obviously you are not at the destination on the ticket yet. I usually just show my ticket to an inspector at the barrier saying ill be coming back though and I've never had a problem with it.
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
So the ticket barrier wouldn't eat your ticket? It is it best to show an actual person?
I'll probably double check with someone at the station too. I was just wondering if anyone had done this
I should have said - yeah, I break return journeys all the time; it's fine! The machine shouldn't eat your ticket, but if in doubt, find a person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads