' Natural Intelligance' Watch

JJMS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There's been a lot on TSR about so called 'natural intelligence', so i thought I might as well start a specific thread so people can share their own opinions. I'm personally interested in what others think about:
1) If natural intelligence even exists
2) If it's worth anything
3) Any other comments people have, just generally :P

I personally think that some people are born more intelligent than others, but that it doesn't really matter haha.
Btw, this isn't a thread to show off how clever you think you are or to insult others based on their opinions lool
Piko_Piko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To what extent do you feel that correct spelling and punctuation correlate with intelligence?
HenryD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's generally recognized that people are born with a certain level of what's called "fluid intelligence". This is the kind you use for problem solving, math and situations where you don't need any or much prior knowledge. The other is crystallized intelligence which is your ability to use skills and knowledge gained by experience. Very few test have shown any significant variance in these levels throughout ones life, although they tend to peak in the mid 20s I believe. There are some developments in extending ones working memory which can have an impact on it though.
For more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/ma...anted=all&_r=0
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Certainly people are predisposed to become more intelligent than others. We know that genetics itself plays a strong part because (to make a crude example), no rabbit could ever be smarter than the average human, no matter how it was raised. The only difference would be genetics.

This would imply that smaller differences will be at play between different humans. However, in order to bring out intelligence's full potential, it must be informed. It's useless being intelligent and not having learnt any language through which to communicate; you would not even be able to think coherently (this was the idea behind newspeak).

This is all relatively uncontroversial though. What's usually under dispute are the degrees to which nature and nurture respectively affect it.

My own personal thoughts are that, in the case of genius, I expect that genetics plays the larger role, and that in the case of most others, the deciding factor will be education.
luuucyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i think natural intelligence is a predisposition to taking on information and being able to interpret it. some people are far better than others. however, if these people dont exercise this natual gene then its not worth anything and people without it can achieve more by pure hard work
if that makes sense?
JJMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Piko_Piko)
To what extent do you feel that correct spelling and punctuation correlate with intelligence?
get over yourself mate, the mistake in the title was obviously a typo as i spelled it right in the post. But to answer your question, nothing. I believe that good spelling and punctuation are more to do with knowledge than they are intelligence.
_HabibaH_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is there a unanimously accepted definition for intelligence? Like a criteria of sorts. Isn't it subjective most of the time? And usually people tend to think the people who excel in the areas they find difficult are intelligent.
JJMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by luuucyx)
i think natural intelligence is a predisposition to taking on information and being able to interpret it. some people are far better than others. however, if these people dont exercise this natual gene then its not worth anything and people without it can achieve more by pure hard work
if that makes sense?
I know what you mean haha.
It's kinda like saying if person A and Person B did the exact same work and revision, they would not come out with the exact same results haha, perhaps boy A would do better. But i think it's meaningless, because person B did more work than A, and got better results, then he deserves it more :P
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Intelligence is such a broad term that can mean an entire array of things. However, I see intelligence as the ability to see connections at any and all levels, by which I mean being able to link seemingly unrelated concepts in a unique way. So basically, I think of intelligence as the marriage between creativity and lateral thought.

I do believe that there are differing levels of intelligence among people, but that for most it really doesn't matter as any apparent lack of intelligence in a person is due to them not fully utilising the intelligence they have. The brain is, in many ways, like a muscle; great intelligence may be inherent to it, but it's for naught if a person doesn't push it and learn how to use it.
luuucyx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
I know what you mean haha.
It's kinda like saying if person A and Person B did the exact same work and revision, they would not come out with the exact same results haha, perhaps boy A would do better. But i think it's meaningless, because person B did more work than A, and got better results, then he deserves it more :P
yeah exactly, like i think naturally im quite intelligent because i can take on board a lot of info and interpret it but thats in sciencey things, where as humanities and history etc i am totally useless so i also think it sways towards subject areas kinda thing?
JJMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by luuucyx)
yeah exactly, like i think naturally im quite intelligent because i can take on board a lot of info and interpret it but thats in sciencey things, where as humanities and history etc i am totally useless so i also think it sways towards subject areas kinda thing?
Yeah I'm exactly the same as that. I can cope with maths and science, but when it comes to interpreting sculpture( Classics), I am awful haha. It's weird though, because I'm like good a science and maths, and rubbish at all the 'englishy' subjects, can barely write and can't draw, but for some reason I'm good at music haha, but i can't do theory or anything...
It seems like most people are either good at like art, music nd stuff,, good at english history etc, or good at the maths and science subjects haha.
I know that's far too of a simplistic view :P
JJMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
Certainly people are predisposed to become more intelligent than others. We know that genetics itself plays a strong part because (to make a crude example), no rabbit could ever be smarter than the average human, no matter how it was raised. The only difference would be genetics.

This would imply that smaller differences will be at play between different humans. However, in order to bring out intelligence's full potential, it must be informed. It's useless being intelligent and not having learnt any language through which to communicate; you would not even be able to think coherently (this was the idea behind newspeak).

This is all relatively uncontroversial though. What's usually under dispute are the degrees to which nature and nurture respectively affect it.

My own personal thoughts are that, in the case of genius, I expect that genetics plays the larger role, and that in the case of most others, the deciding factor will be education.
Yeah i totally agree with what you're saying.
What do you think about the topic of extra support for the more able students. I saw an article saying that the bottom 10% or so of students receive far more support than the 'average' students, yet the top 10%, who are , i dunno how to put this, ' as far from average ' as the bottom 10% are, receive no extra support. I personally think if you're going to work on helping the bottom 10%, then you should put just as much effort into the top percentage.
http://www.mensa.org.uk/cgi-bin/item...t_news&h=0&f=0
^^ this is the article : )
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
Yeah i totally agree with what you're saying.
What do you think about the topic of extra support for the more able students. I saw an article saying that the bottom 10% or so of students receive far more support than the 'average' students, yet the top 10%, who are , i dunno how to put this, ' as far from average ' as the bottom 10% are, receive no extra support. I personally think if you're going to work on helping the bottom 10%, then you should put just as much effort into the top percentage.
http://www.mensa.org.uk/cgi-bin/item...t_news&h=0&f=0
^^ this is the article : )
I think that it's still a radical concept for us to bend schools to meet the requirements of the students rather than have students meet the requirements of the school. Absolutely we need to avoid neglecting the needs of any student; it's unfortunate that many gifted students are prevented from reaching their potential in school because the government's regimentalised system of qualifications doesn't allow for it.

My own thoughts on the future of education (and current short-comings) I wrote here: http://journalofinterest.com/essays/future-education/
Piko_Piko
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
get over yourself mate, the mistake in the title was obviously a typo as i spelled it right in the post. But to answer your question, nothing. I believe that good spelling and punctuation are more to do with knowledge than they are intelligence.
I just couldn't resist pointing out the irony.

p.s. There were other mistakes.....:ninja:
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
youre not born intelligent, there is no natural intelligence... youre not born knowing stuff

what is possible is to be a better natural sponge than other people... to be better in taking in and understanding information. what is possible is to be better at problem solving...
ellieHA
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't necessarily say that natural intelligence definitely exists but I do believe that some people seem predisposed to be more adept at academic learning than others.

Having said that, it depends how you would define intelligence. Is someone who has a medical degree more intelligent than a very good car mechanic? I'm sure many people would say yes but really they are very similar - both use an understanding of science (biology and physics respectively) to learn the workings of a 'model' (the human body and a car respectively). Really they are more similar than you may think.

(bit of a disclaimer, I know that medicine uses physics and chemistry and I know that the human body is ridiculously complex but cars are pretty complex too and to understand the full workings of many different models, I would argue, shows a great level of intelligence)
Ultimate1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Natural intelligence"- An excuse used by the lazy to cover up for their shortcomings.
Dukeofwembley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
There's been a lot on TSR about so called 'natural intelligence', so i thought I might as well start a specific thread so people can share their own opinions. I'm personally interested in what others think about:
1) If natural intelligence even exists
2) If it's worth anything
3) Any other comments people have, just generally :P

I personally think that some people are born more intelligent than others, but that it doesn't really matter haha.

Btw, this isn't a thread to show off how clever you think you are or to insult others based on their opinions lool

stop trolling

natural intelligence theory is a stronger scientific theory than evolution ,OR QUANTAM PHYSICS,

look at the ukcat-MATCHING SHAPES IS AN IQ TEST, ukcat cannot be studied for

us act exam

SIMPLY THE FACT THAT SAT PRE 1974 ALLOWED ENTRY INTO MENSA

if you say that iq does not correlate with academic achievements

then i say the first human was created from mud and the animals were put here by god

i will also believe that there is no such thing as the speed of light

(c wot i did der? if you want to throw out evidence and form opinions without reason ie " i got a first at cambridge and i find maths easy, other people are just lazy" - you have not been in other people's shoes, the whole basis of iq is that your brain has more efficient connections (in a mathematics sense) than a lower iq person( allowing for limits of iq ie +or -5 points). You cannot imagine what a person of iq 80 's brain functions like (ie cannot do simple pythagoras at age 16, no matter how hard the person tries).

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING OR NOT,ITS THE FACTS THAT MAKE IT TRUE OR FALSE!!
luuucyx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
Yeah I'm exactly the same as that. I can cope with maths and science, but when it comes to interpreting sculpture( Classics), I am awful haha. It's weird though, because I'm like good a science and maths, and rubbish at all the 'englishy' subjects, can barely write and can't draw, but for some reason I'm good at music haha, but i can't do theory or anything...
It seems like most people are either good at like art, music nd stuff,, good at english history etc, or good at the maths and science subjects haha.
I know that's far too of a simplistic view :P
yeah i agree i think that im capable of doing humanities and that but i have to really push myself, once i get into it i find i can do it alright but with science and maths i find it soooo much easier! give me a hard maths problem over an essay any day ! haha im such a geeky girl fml loool
yeah i was good at music too, never worked hard enough tho
JJMS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
youre not born intelligent, there is no natural intelligence... youre not born knowing stuff

what is possible is to be a better natural sponge than other people... to be better in taking in and understanding information. what is possible is to be better at problem solving...
'Knowing stuff' is more knowledge than it is intelligence. Some would argue that being a better natural sponge is being more intelligent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads