The Student Room Group

Graphic Design portfolio help!

New to the student room so first of all hey! Im studying a BTEC Graphic Design but after starting to put together my mini portfolio I thought I could do with some feedback. I am applying to Central St Martins, Falmouth, Notts Trent, Leeds college of art and Lincoln.

Im aware my portfolio is far from finished but some feedback to know i'm on the right lines would be great!

http://www.alex-poyzer.com/p/blog-page_5061.html

Also whats the chances of my work being strong enough to bypass doing a FAD as in reality it would be going back a step due to it being more fine art based. however it would give me more portfolio work
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think your portfolio is good and well presented, good luck with your application!
Reply 2
Original post by Valdo
I think your portfolio is good and well presented, good luck with your application!

cheers! :smile: I still want to get a lot more variation in there.
Well presented and I think there is a good variation! I applied for Notts, Lincoln and Leeds too and portfolio is stressing me out! Want to show a bit of everything!
Reply 4
Original post by chelseamerry
Well presented and I think there is a good variation! I applied for Notts, Lincoln and Leeds too and portfolio is stressing me out! Want to show a bit of everything!

thankyou :smile: and yup same I seem to change whats going in mine daily, I have plenty of work and lots from real clients but the problem is I keep putting the stuff in I enjoyed doing mostly wich limits the variation :frown:
Reply 5
oh wow your portfolio's amazing.. i still have to start mine D8
I was thinking you could include some mixed media work, like with various materials... if you've done any (i think you have but im not sure o.O) ? I know that CSM loves to see that kind of stuff there
Reply 6
Original post by Cheelossom
oh wow your portfolio's amazing.. i still have to start mine D8
I was thinking you could include some mixed media work, like with various materials... if you've done any (i think you have but im not sure o.O) ? I know that CSM loves to see that kind of stuff there

thats exactly what I was thinking! need some more experimentive stuff in there, I have a bit but i'm going to so some stuff to bulk it out this week

cheers!
Original post by andork
thankyou :smile: and yup same I seem to change whats going in mine daily, I have plenty of work and lots from real clients but the problem is I keep putting the stuff in I enjoyed doing mostly wich limits the variation :frown:

Im the same! Doing a btec as well having different subject (print, photography etc) I much prefer the Graphic client briefs which I mainly just digitally produce, not showing much of my illustration and mixed media work.
Reply 8
Original post by chelseamerry
Im the same! Doing a btec as well having different subject (print, photography etc) I much prefer the Graphic client briefs which I mainly just digitally produce, not showing much of my illustration and mixed media work.

yup we cover traditional and modern photography, print and life drawing along with any 3D we want to back up the graphic design so I do have lots I can put in-I just want to steer away from digital stuff as you can teach a monkey photoshop :P
Reply 9
I think your wedding invites are absolutely beautiful.

I actually want to buy the birds ones for when (/if) I get married!!!

I can't really offer advice because I don't do anything artistic, but I just wanted to let you know how much I actually love those wedding invites.
Reply 10
Original post by kanojyoxx
I think your wedding invites are absolutely beautiful.

I actually want to buy the birds ones for when (/if) I get married!!!

I can't really offer advice because I don't do anything artistic, but I just wanted to let you know how much I actually love those wedding invites.

haha Thanks a lot! :smile: only did the bird one yesterday, got the job after they saw the blue one for college :P easy money XD
Reply 11
i have to do a bulk load of mixed media this week.. i did plenty last year but my teacher said it wasnt bold enough or... just enough at all.. XD
Reply 12
yeah Im thinking of doing a couple of fine art style oil portraits with mixed media in it...possible screen printing onto the canvas before. Most my graphic work has mixed media in it from letterpress type to ink illustrations but like you, its just not bold enough.
Original post by andork
New to the student room so first of all hey! Im studying a BTEC Graphic Design but after starting to put together my mini portfolio I thought I could do with some feedback. I am applying to Central St Martins, Falmouth, Notts Trent, Leeds college of art and Lincoln.

Im aware my portfolio is far from finished but some feedback to know i'm on the right lines would be great!

Also whats the chances of my work being strong enough to bypass doing a FAD as in reality it would be going back a step due to it being more fine art based. however it would give me more portfolio work

Your portfolio is very strong I don't think you will have problems with getting places, where are you applying?
Reply 14
thanks! :smile: fingers crossed, not heard from any yet

Central St Martins, Falmouth, Notts Trent, Leeds college of art and Lincoln.

I really want to push my love for concepts and ideas in my portfolio along with typography and package design. So I think showing my painting and mixed media skills through a strong concept to give me a lot to talk about will really help.
Original post by andork
thanks! :smile: fingers crossed, not heard from any yet

Central St Martins, Falmouth, Notts Trent, Leeds college of art and Lincoln.

I really want to push my love for concepts and ideas in my portfolio along with typography and package design. So I think showing my painting and mixed media skills through a strong concept to give me a lot to talk about will really help.

You seem to have it all together, I never know what to say when I get asked about my work, I have an interview for Kingston Thursday and I'm soooo nervous!
Reply 16
ahh good luck!! let me know how it goes, atm im fine talking about work, however until I get an interview I have no clue how ill deal with it :P
I had one for Portsmouth last week, and it was a group interview and I thought I would be awful but under the pressure it just seems to make sense, but Kingston is a lot harder to get into, I'll let you know how it goes though :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by andork

I've applied for graphic design too at camberwell, reading, birmingham city, huddersfield and GSA(but didn't get in there, my portofolio was probably too random and lacking development work).

I am EU and in my school and country in general we do very boring stuff, we never have creative projects just studies and technical drawing. I wanted to do architecture at first and I got really well prepared for that, but I didn't really like it and changed my mind in like December. So now, I got into a field that I've never worked in before and I feel really proud because I managed to get in already, although I've no idea how good birmingham and huddersfield are. They were in the first ten on my list, but people here say very different things and I don't know what to believe anymore, so "dive in head first, what will be, will be" is for me :confused:

I think your portofolio is really good and spot off graphic design and I got in with much less related stuff so I think you will do great. Good luck!
Reply 19
I had applied for Graphics Design at Central St Martins, Birmingham City, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent and Norwich. Currently studying the one year foundation art & design :smile: I had gotten into Norwich the year before and got unconditional at Notts and a conditional at Birmingham. CSM asked for an online portfolio and I managed to pass that round and got an interview, same with Loughborough but I ended up going to Nottingham Trent so I withdrew from them.

Your portfolio looks far more focused for design work than mine and your drawings are magnificent! If anything, I might suggest adding a bit of sketchbook work as they will want to see how you generated ideas around your final finished products as well.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest