Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, heres the situation. Me and my entire year group at my sixth form are opposed to studying General Studies in school. It is a pointless subject which the school insists upon teaching us.
    Heres the thing, out of a year group of 130 people, I would say about 10-15 of these people actually turn up to the 2 hour, weekly lessons scheduled for us. Now, after two years the school is entering every student to sit three General studies papers in June.
    The thing is, no a single person is willing to sit these papers and whats more, almost every single person is applying for a course at university which does not accept General Studies as a subject.

My question to you is, are we under any obligation to sit these exams? Our school has told us they will fine us if we do not sit the exam. Also, is there any law passed by the goverment saying that the school can enforce us to sit this exam?

ReputationRep:
    you could just not turn up to the exam, and that is perfectly legal. you will get an N. otherwise, you could turn up and just sit there for a few hours doing nothing, and you wont get fined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    So, heres the situation. Me and my entire year group at my sixth form are opposed to studying General Studies in school. It is a pointless subject which the school insists upon teaching us.
    Heres the thing, out of a year group of 130 people, I would say about 10-15 of these people actually turn up to the 2 hour, weekly lessons scheduled for us. Now, after two years the school is entering every student to sit three General studies papers in June.
    The thing is, no a single person is willing to sit these papers and whats more, almost every single person is applying for a course at university which does not accept General Studies as a subject.

My question to you is, are we under any obligation to sit these exams? Our school has told us they will fine us if we do not sit the exam. Also, is there any law passed by the goverment saying that the school can enforce us to sit this exam?
    It's really stupid that schools make general studies compulsory. At my school you can either do General studies or Young Enterprise, so I did the former and on the whole it's been pretty pointless, although I am learning one or two things of interest at the moment as we're doing politics, which I didn't know much about before. But I agree, it's totally pointless waste time sitting exams which no one takes seriously, least of all good universities.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not illegal. I agree, general studies is a crap qualification- I took this up with my head of year. He did point out that even if the Uni doesn't accept General Studies, if you get an A in it, they will often be more flexible with letting you on to the course if you miss the grades on your other subjects... but I don't know how true this is. Anyways in the end I figured that I might aswell sit the test because its so ridiculously easy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Elle)
    He did point out that even if the Uni doesn't accept General Studies, if you get an A in it, they will often be more flexible with letting you on to the course if you miss the grades on your other subjects... but I don't know how true this is.
    It's very very true

ReputationRep:
    My action on General Studies was not to go to a single lesson, turn up for the exams and get an A. So long as it doesn't waste your school time where you could be studying or revising for other subjects, you might as well take the exam. It's an extra A level for no work and can be used to compare against other candidates who have the same grades as you in more acceptable subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mioniel)
    My action on General Studies was not to go to a single lesson, turn up for the exams and get an A. So long as it doesn't waste your school time where you could be studying or revising for other subjects, you might as well take the exam. It's an extra A level for no work and can be used to compare against other candidates who have the same grades as you in more acceptable subjects.
    This is kind of what my oppinion has been reduced to. However, for the course I am doing, dentistry, General Studies has been stated as not acceptable as a qualification by all the Universities that I have applied for. I therefore see it as a waste of time and effort to spend time sitting the exam and also possbibly some revision.
    I think I will just become resigned to the fact that whether I like it or not I will have to sit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you could just not turn up to the exam, and that is perfectly legal. you will get an N. otherwise, you could turn up and just sit there for a few hours doing nothing, and you wont get fined.
    Ah, you should have seen my Biology AS papers.

ReputationRep:
    Hull include general studies in offers apparently. Anyway, my college does "learning skills" instead which includes things like headstart. It's just as ********, and doesn't include the benefit of technically being an alevel.

ReputationRep:
    We had this argument with our college last year over AS Citizenship and Critical Thinking. Most people just didn't turn up to the lessons and therefore didn't get entered for the exam. Nobody ever did anything about it either...

If they insist on entering you, just turn up, write your name and then sit there for the rest of the time doing nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    We had this argument with our college last year over AS Citizenship and Critical Thinking. Most people just didn't turn up to the lessons and therefore didn't get entered for the exam. Nobody ever did anything about it either...

If they insist on entering you, just turn up, write your name and then sit there for the rest of the time doing nothing...
    You might as well get the marks. I'm pretty sure that General Studies requires no more than a pulse to pass. Maybe buy a newspaper the day before.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to the lessons, turn up, do the paper, go home. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    You might as well get the marks. I'm pretty sure that General Studies requires no more than a pulse to pass. Maybe buy a newspaper the day before.
    Hehe, if it's anything like Citizenship then you're probably right. So... pointless. Still quite proud of the A I got though

ReputationRep:
    I really don't give a damn about gs either, had 2 lessons a week, did no work, just turned up and got a high A at AS, definitely worth it for no work, even if it's not regarded too high amongst unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Hehe, if it's anything like Citizenship then you're probably right. So... pointless. Still quite proud of the A I got though
    Ah, key skills, citizenship, general studies. Reminisence. Reminds me of when I managed to get most of the senior staff to agree with me on the notion that "Key Skills are pointless" including, get this, both the Key Skills Coordinator when I was in Y12 and Y13. Good times.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.