heywhatsup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm an average student from an IT apprenticeship looking to go to Uni.

Wanted to ask if you live in central London which university would you prefer ? Middlesex or Plymouth.

Plymouth is high in ranks well in the top 50 etc but it's 4 hours away from home an will need a house and all sorts

Middlesex is not the highest but its 30 mins away from home by public transport.

I'm just thinking about future career aspects is there too much of a difference by the 2

Saying that, if I attend middlesex I will be also Saving about 5k a year!

Please help

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you are in London you can do much better lol, you can go to Kingston, Greenwich and City etc.
Kardy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Central London has much better unis on offer - UCL, Imperial, KCL, City, Queen Mary. Living in central london these commutes are much easier and quicker.
sweetiepie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
feel like i have to vouch for plymouth (i'm from there) and it really is such a good place to be a student!
with middlesex you may be saving money but your missing out on the student experience and the chance to move away from home and be independent. i have to admit plymouth is really out of the way your right and public transport can be expensive but the mega buses run every day and when you book a month in advance theyre only a fiver each way so its not too bad, there are ways around it if you dont mind being thrifty and whatever. theres also a fast train in the morning which takes around 3 hours to get to london in case you wanted to be there a bit quicker.
also what i really like about plymouth is that everything is in walking distance - the uni is right in the city centre and the student housing and accomodation and nightlife is all pretty close so you dont have to rely on public transport to get there - all the amenities are basically on your doorstep. Even if you did need the bus to get to a supermarket or the hospital etc, its only £1.50 for a single and £2.50 for a return anywhere no matter what the distance.
plymouth is good for career prospects as far as i'm aware and i know a few people who have done cs and they said you can opt for a placement year where more often than not they offer you a job afterwards (im sure you know more about that than i do though!)
if money is a concern for you have you looked into bursaries and scholarships that might be available to you? they may be able to help out with fees and living costs.
i havent been to middlesex so i can't really comment but it's worth weighing up the type of experience you will get from each, as well as costs and teaching - if it matters to you i guess.
if you have any more questions about plymouth pm me i might not be able to help with the course but i can definitely help with student life and other things

good luck with choosing
heywhatsup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kutta)
if you are in London you can do much better lol, you can go to Kingston, Greenwich and City etc.
I have applied on UCAS for Middlesex, Plymouth, Oxford Brookes and Lancaster. I'm holding offers for Middlesex and Plymouth which I want to push to either so im stuck lol
heywhatsup
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
heywhatsup
Rep:
?
Anyone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads