DonnieBrasco
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In terms of determining the size (large being most exothermic) of the lattice enthalpy, are the factors affecting it for:

Theoretical: Large values generated by a small ionic radius for both the cation and anion (meaning they can get closer in the lattice) and large magnitudes for the charges of the cation and anion

Experimental: Small highly charged (polarising) cations and large (polarisable) anions, meaning that there is covalent character in the bond.

Is this correct?

Also out of K2O, LiI, LiF and CaO will it be LiI that shows the most deviation from the theoretical value calculated from the Born-Lande equation and the experimental value? My reasoning is that Li+ is small and will have a fairly large charge density, and although it doesn't have as large a charge compared to Ca2+ the anion I- is more polarisable than O2-. Meaning that there will be significant covalent character (which the B.L. equation doesn't take into account).

Thanks
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DonnieBrasco)
In terms of determining the size (large being most exothermic) of the lattice enthalpy, are the factors affecting it for:

Theoretical: Large values generated by a small ionic radius for both the cation and anion (meaning they can get closer in the lattice) and large magnitudes for the charges of the cation and anion

Experimental: Small highly charged (polarising) cations and large (polarisable) anions, meaning that there is covalent character in the bond.

Is this correct?

Also out of K2O, LiI, LiF and CaO will it be LiI that shows the most deviation from the theoretical value calculated from the Born-Lande equation and the experimental value? My reasoning is that Li+ is small and will have a fairly large charge density, and although it doesn't have as large a charge compared to Ca2+ the anion I- is more polarisable than O2-. Meaning that there will be significant covalent character (which the B.L. equation doesn't take into account).

Thanks
All sounds good to me Just don't make the mistake of thinking that Li+ is a small cation, many people do.
DonnieBrasco
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Brilliant, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads