SunRiseAtDawn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

I want to apply to medical school but my IGCSE's aren't very good.. 3A*s 4Bs 2Cs. But now that I'm doing ib my predicted score is 43. If I do get this score, will they still consider me even with my igcse results?

Thanks
hlangshaw1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow, well done on your predicted grades, that's very impressive! On the whole with universities they do take into account your GCSEs, but when I spoke to two universities -Cambridge and Bath - they said that they recognise intellectual maturity and so they focus on your IB grades. However, this wasn't for medicine. I'd say the best thing to do would be to speak to the individual universities you want to apply to as they'll be able to give you a more precise answer
SunRiseAtDawn
Rep:
?
Okay, Ill try getting in contact with a few, thanks for your help!
amr_moore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well 43/45 is pretty incredible.

On average Ib scores of medical students are as follows:
Cambridge - 40-42
Oxford - 39
Newcastle - 38
Barts/Queen Mary - 38
Hull - York - 36
Leicester - 36
*Manchester - 37
Sheffield - 37
Nottingham - 36
Leeds - 36
Keele - 35
Norwich (UAE) - 34
Birmingham - 36 (exl. 3 core points for EE, CAS and TOK)
Bristol - 37
*Liverpool - 36
King's College London - 38
Edinburgh - 37
Exeter - 36-38
Plymouth - 36-38

* Universities that don't generally look at your GCSE/iGCSE results

Also, both Cambridge and Oxford are well known for only looking at you 'mind', so if your'e doing better now than at GCSE they're likely to still accept you as they want the best candidates.
It is worth noting that a
University is looking for students that will become an asset to them in the future.

Finally, beware of believing predicted grades above 40, as one, it is difficult to predict the students who achieve this, and two, the students who get 41+ tend to have 10+ A*'s at GCSE
Good Luck!
SunRiseAtDawn
Rep:
?
Yes i do know what you mean, its hard to predict exactly what the outcome will be in the finals....however i obviously do want to achieve this!! And im going to try my hardest to do so.

I lived in south africa before i came to england and over here no one does IGCSEs.. just my school trying to be posh :P but the universities don't really care about them, they dont even know what they are.. so im not saying i didnt try but it was never a thing that i needed to try hard for them because over there they are pointless, and no one had informed me that they are so important over here!!

But i guess what im asking is that even if i get a 45 say, do i have any chance of getting into medical school? i mean is there any use in even applying this year? i mean what honest chance do i have of getting into ucl or king's. My tutor won't let me apply for oxbridge with my igcses so thats not a option.
If they are going to weigh me down in uni applications.. i honestly dont know what to do about them?!
amr_moore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Despite what your tutor says, If you want to apply to Oxbridge, apply to Oxbridge! Secondly, King's and UCl are looking for around 37-39 so definately apply!
What they mean by 'weighing you down' is that if you don't have a chance at getting into a university don't apply to it. But if you can get the grades, go for it. No matter what someone says.
All the comments I've had from current medical students say that what gets you into medical school is YOU. If your grades are good enough (i.e. 6 in Chem and 6 in Bio/Physics etc, and 36+ on the IB), the 'getting into medical school' bit is about you as a person not your academic ability. If they don't think you could get the grades, they won't ask you for interview
clairey31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're getting predicted 43 points, I doubt they'll be too fussed about your GCSEs, seeing as it was at least two years ago you sat them. 43 is an amazing score, you can basically go anywhere you want :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehellogracias
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a medicine applicant I can tell you that most universities DO look at your GCSEs and they play a big role in getting an interview. If you want to apply to Oxbridge definitely take a gap year then apply once youve actually got 43 points. Most medical schools don't put an emphasis on predicted grades as long as theyre above the minimum entry requirement. IGCSEs and entry tests such as UKCAT or BMAT play the biggest role in your application.
thehellogracias
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amr_moore)
Despite what your tutor says, If you want to apply to Oxbridge, apply to Oxbridge! Secondly, King's and UCl are looking for around 37-39 so definately apply!
What they mean by 'weighing you down' is that if you don't have a chance at getting into a university don't apply to it. But if you can get the grades, go for it. No matter what someone says.
All the comments I've had from current medical students say that what gets you into medical school is YOU. If your grades are good enough (i.e. 6 in Chem and 6 in Bio/Physics etc, and 36+ on the IB), the 'getting into medical school' bit is about you as a person not your academic ability. If they don't think you could get the grades, they won't ask you for interview

Please dont listen to this. IGCSEs play a larger role than IB predicted grades. Once you actually get 43 points then you can apply to anywhere you want and have a very good chance of getting in. Unis generally dont put a big emphasis on predicted grades. I would know as I've been predicted 42 and had 6A*s 3As and a C in add math at IGCSE, and I've only recieved one interview.
thehellogracias
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SunRiseAtDawn)
Yes i do know what you mean, its hard to predict exactly what the outcome will be in the finals....however i obviously do want to achieve this!! And im going to try my hardest to do so.

I lived in south africa before i came to england and over here no one does IGCSEs.. just my school trying to be posh :P but the universities don't really care about them, they dont even know what they are.. so im not saying i didnt try but it was never a thing that i needed to try hard for them because over there they are pointless, and no one had informed me that they are so important over here!!

But i guess what im asking is that even if i get a 45 say, do i have any chance of getting into medical school? i mean is there any use in even applying this year? i mean what honest chance do i have of getting into ucl or king's. My tutor won't let me apply for oxbridge with my igcses so thats not a option.
If they are going to weigh me down in uni applications.. i honestly dont know what to do about them?!
It depends, if you want to get into medical school this year then you should study really hard for the UKCAT and apply to unis that give interviews mainly based on the UKCAT for example Newcastle. If you want to go to a top medical school, then you should study hard for IB and get what you're predicted. Once you have 43 points youll be able to apply to Kings, UCL or Cambridge easily and you'll most probably get an interview. But during your gap year you need to be preparing for your entrance exams like UKCAT or BMAT and also need to get a bunch of work experience regarding medicine to put in your personal statement and to talk about at your interview.
SunRiseAtDawn
Rep:
?
(Original post by thehellogracias)
It depends, if you want to get into medical school this year then you should study really hard for the UKCAT and apply to unis that give interviews mainly based on the UKCAT for example Newcastle. If you want to go to a top medical school, then you should study hard for IB and get what you're predicted. Once you have 43 points youll be able to apply to Kings, UCL or Cambridge easily and you'll most probably get an interview. But during your gap year you need to be preparing for your entrance exams like UKCAT or BMAT and also need to get a bunch of work experience regarding medicine to put in your personal statement and to talk about at your interview.
Yeah i think thats really good advice thanks! i might get a job in a hospital.. i dont know if there is anything particular i could do, and then should i also try and improve on my gcse scores in the gap year too? My tutor had also suggested going into biomedical science degree first, and then transferring at the end of the first year into medicine, is this a good idea?
thehellogracias
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SunRiseAtDawn)
Yeah i think thats really good advice thanks! i might get a job in a hospital.. i dont know if there is anything particular i could do, and then should i also try and improve on my gcse scores in the gap year too? My tutor had also suggested going into biomedical science degree first, and then transferring at the end of the first year into medicine, is this a good idea?
I think if you get your amazing IB score (trust me 43 is AMAZING) they won't really look at your GCSEs. Working in a hospital will look great for your personal statement and also it will give you lots of stuff to talk about at the interview. Erm, some unis are okay with switching to medicine at the end of the first year of biomedical sciences but not many that I know of. I didn't really look into this, but I know that Edinburgh definitely doesn't allow it, neitehr will Oxbridge. Newcastle does allow it, which may be helpful to you I think you would easily get an offer for Newcastle biomed. Any other questions and I'm happy to help
Chemit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by clairey31)
If you're getting predicted 43 points, I doubt they'll be too fussed about your GCSEs, seeing as it was at least two years ago you sat them. 43 is an amazing score, you can basically go anywhere you want :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it hard to agree. For instance, any medical school in Hong Kong requires a MINIMUM of 43/45... which is far higher than Oxford and Cambridge. Personally, I find Ivy League and Oxbridge universities to be quite overrated. Yes, indeed the smartest and brightest go there -- that's awesome. BUT. not only do the students have to be smart and bright... they also have to come from a wealthy family to afford the tuition... and have connections with people in the university... and be white (note how they only accept 30% of asians into their student body, despite some of them achieving higher grades than any other applicant). So yeah. It's obviously a great university, definitely one of the best, but from everyone claiming it to be a "dream school" simply renders it overrated.
mr hyde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chemit)
I find it hard to agree. For instance, any medical school in Hong Kong requires a MINIMUM of 43/45... which is far higher than Oxford and Cambridge. Personally, I find Ivy League and Oxbridge universities to be quite overrated. Yes, indeed the smartest and brightest go there -- that's awesome. BUT. not only do the students have to be smart and bright... they also have to come from a wealthy family to afford the tuition... and have connections with people in the university... and be white (note how they only accept 30% of asians into their student body, despite some of them achieving higher grades than any other applicant). So yeah. It's obviously a great university, definitely one of the best, but from everyone claiming it to be a "dream school" simply renders it overrated.
Where did you get this impression from? Fair enough if you personally don't like the teaching style at these universities, but you can hardly label them as elitist when they have the most proactive accessibility schemes in their respective countries. As someone who has applied there, I can confidently say that Oxbridge and the Ivy League have the most generous financial aid in the UK and US - it's why I applied specifically to them in the first place. HYPM (including MIT even though it's not Ivy League, since it's very similar) especially are known to give full rides to anyone who needs it, and their admission is need-blind as well. When you think about it, it makes sense since they are by far and away the richest universities in the world, and so can afford to let people in for free. And the comment about being white - American colleges are actually known for admitting larger percentages of under-represented minorities because they're so interested in diversity. Oxbridge on the other hand simply doesn't care about ethnicity.

The last thing about 'needing to know people there to get in': at Oxbridge, that's completely not true. People get in based on academic merit, and it's a very bitter thing to do to claim it was because of connections. Your point does have some truth with the Ivy League since they still consider 'legacies', but it's not as significant as people think. The Ivy League regularly publish stats about how ~80% of people admitted aren't legacies - and the 20% who are would probably have gotten in without being a legacy, since academic excellence tends to run in families.

I'm sorry for the long post, but there is a lot of misconception about Oxbridge and the Ivy League and it's unfair to label these institutions as prejudiced when they try so hard to be anything but. However, judging by your post you might be an international, and I think I should add that's probably the one thing that can disadvantage an applicant (especially for medicine, where they have university quotas and the competition is insane). Again, sorry if I sounded aggressive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads