Does the Job Centre help people find jobs? Watch

natureartpeace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have never been unemployed and so I've never been to a job centre before and have no idea how the system works. So if anybody could advise I would be most grateful.

My situation is that I am a graduate who has a part-time retail job but is obviously looking for something more. I'm starting to think that I would stand a better chance of getting a job if I made myself unemployed and in my current situation am just slipping through the net, but what would happen? Would they organise interviews etc? and put me in contact? Or am I better staying as I am?

If there are two candidates in the job centre, one unemployed and one employed part time temporary, does the unemployed candidate have an advantage as presumably the JC is working to targets?
Soph.Jade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd stay as you are and apply for jobs in your spare time. It depends how good the person working in the job centre is but mine didn't do anything apart from sign my booklet that said I was looking for work and occasionally printed off a list of jobs in the area (basically did a search on the website and printed off the first page)
natureartpeace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soph.Jade)
I'd stay as you are and apply for jobs in your spare time. It depends how good the person working in the job centre is but mine didn't do anything apart from sign my booklet that said I was looking for work and occasionally printed off a list of jobs in the area (basically did a search on the website and printed off the first page)
Hi soph.Jade

Thanks for the reply

Sometimes it just feels as though I am getting nowhere but I will carry on trying as you suggest.
Georgiina_Tee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can try high street recruitment agency's?
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the jobcentre do is tell you you're not doing enough even if you're doing all you can.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hahahahahahaha you've got to be joking! I challenge you to find me one person who has ever got a job listed on the Job Centre website. Most of them are fake, the rest are zero-hours. And did you really think the employees arranged interviews and put you into contact with people? How cute!

I was on the dole for six months in 2010 and the requirements were: "write down three jobs you've applied for and three things you've done to look for new openings this fortnight". Only once in those six months did a Job Centre adviser print a couple of jobs out for me and tell me directly to apply for them. One was a translator job, asking for an MA or three years' industry experience. The other was a decorator or something like that that I've never been trained to do.

The way it's worked for decades is this:
1. all the manufacturing jobs went to China and robots as a result of globalisation.
2. this created a constantly shifting sea of people on low incomes and out of work.
3. the dole acts as a living wage or bribe to stop these people rioting.
4. the job centre administers the delivery of the dole.

They are not there to find you jobs.

Nowadays, of course, the dole, disability benefits and housing benefit are way, way below subsistence level. And the advisers at the Job Centre/assessors at Atos are now there to trip you up and find as many ways to sanction your benefits as possible. This is the only "target" the Job Centre are working to, their target is certainly not to help people into jobs. Even the government isn't insane enough to think there are jobs for them to go to.

This is all part of the government's lucrative drive to force everyone to purchase unemployment/health insurance at commercial rates, and if they can't afford it, to die on the streets. Ultimately this will drive down the economically inactive population of this country and enrich the remainder.

It's the same as the Nazis except we have no Lebensraum to be moving into.

After that little rant, don't you dare give up your job. In ten years when retail is going the way of manufacturing having a job like that will be positively aspirational.
DotDotCurve
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by natureartpeace)
I have never been unemployed and so I've never been to a job centre before and have no idea how the system works. So if anybody could advise I would be most grateful.

My situation is that I am a graduate who has a part-time retail job but is obviously looking for something more. I'm starting to think that I would stand a better chance of getting a job if I made myself unemployed and in my current situation am just slipping through the net, but what would happen? Would they organise interviews etc? and put me in contact? Or am I better staying as I am?

If there are two candidates in the job centre, one unemployed and one employed part time temporary, does the unemployed candidate have an advantage as presumably the JC is working to targets?

(Original post by scrotgrot)
Hahahahahahaha you've got to be joking! I challenge you to find me one person who has ever got a job listed on the Job Centre website. Most of them are fake, the rest are zero-hours. And did you really think the employees arranged interviews and put you into contact with people? How cute!

I was on the dole for six months in 2010 and the requirements were: "write down three jobs you've applied for and three things you've done to look for new openings this fortnight". Only once in those six months did a Job Centre adviser print a couple of jobs out for me and tell me directly to apply for them. One was a translator job, asking for an MA or three years' industry experience. The other was a decorator or something like that that I've never been trained to do.

1. all the manufacturing jobs went to China and robots as a result of globalisation.
2. this created a constantly shifting sea of people on low incomes and out of work.

Nowadays, of course, the dole, disability benefits and housing benefit are way, way below subsistence level. And the advisers at the Job Centre/assessors at Atos are now there to trip you up and find as many ways to sanction your benefits as possible. This is the only "target" the Job Centre are working to, their target is certainly not to help people into jobs. Even the government isn't insane enough to think there are jobs for them to go to.

This is all part of the government's lucrative drive to force everyone to purchase unemployment/health insurance at commercial rates, and if they can't afford it, to die on the streets. Ultimately this will drive down the economically inactive population of this country and enrich the remainder.

It's the same as the Nazis except we have no Lebensraum to be moving into.

After that little rant, don't you dare give up your job. In ten years when retail is going the way of manufacturing having a job like that will be positively aspirational.
On the other side, I was unemployed for the whole of 2011. My local Job Centre got me two job interviews and a work placement at another Job Centre for a month. During the job placement I was offer both of the other jobs (retail full time and a charity admin position full time) both on 6 month contracts. Took the charity for more money. After 5 months I realised I wasn't going to be kept on so I went back to the retail outlet and asked if it was still up for grabs, had a quick chat and I had the job. 2 months down the line I am offered a 6 months (which became permanent after 3 months) in an admin position with the civil service.

It can work both ways, I feel it is really down to your specific job centre. My local still checks on me to see how I am getting on, etc.

Don't give up your job, but sign on the part time JSA. Get £5 more than your current wage and receive the help they provide.
generalzod
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Though you have said you work part time temporary, how many hours a week are you working? Are you doing 16 or more? If you are, then you might not might not be able to earn Jobseekers Allowance.

I have unfortunately been on Jobseekers since July 2012, in fair and honestly, as someone else has said you would be better off looking for another job while working part-time. Your in a better position than I currently am in with work.

After a while of being on Jobseekers, you are likely to be put on a Best Training Course, to improve your Maths, IT, English skills. Generally you have to attend 2 days a week from 9:30am till 3:00am. Depending on your part-time working hours, these courses might interfere with your working hours.

The majority of the people at the Job Centre especially the advisers tend to be very rude, and look down at you like a piece of dirt on the bottom of their shoe. If you can, avoid having to sign on for Jobseekers and get benefits at all costs.
Appa'n'Momo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some Job centres are really helpful, others are not so much. It really depends where you live and what calibre of jobs are available near you. They don't, or shouldn't, help anyone more than they would help someone else so having a part-time job shouldn't affect what they tell you. All they can do is show you what jobs are available, any useful courses you could do and offer you work experience to boost your CV. Securing interviews and such is really down to you.
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by generalzod)

The majority of the people at the Job Centre especially the advisers tend to be very rude, and look down at you like a piece of dirt on the bottom of their shoe. If you can, avoid having to sign on for Jobseekers and get benefits at all costs.
Couldn't agree more with this. The majority of staff at the job centres have an absolutely disgusting attitude towards people who sign on and treat you with complete contempt, doing their best to make you feel that you're just a piece of scrounging scum. Even to me, a person with a first class degree. I signed on for 3 weeks just after I'd moved house. I would never do it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
United4prem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  Wenger & Allardyce 2.png
Views: 982
Size:  464.3 KB
Robweb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shouldent a jobcentre be able to help if your claiming or not. I dont think you need to be claiming to get advice and so on. Give them a ring and ask 08456043729
MancStudent098
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Job centres are just not geared towards people looking for graduate jobs and the like. Does your university not have a careers department - they would be a lot more helpful if you're looking for substantial graduate work.
Maxisussex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They will make you get a job anywhere that will take you,you can't be to picky while in receipt of benefits.

And they do NOT help you get jobs at all,they are all useless. They will sign your book fortnightly and then send you on your way. Eventually they will make it weekly,give you an "advisor" and then force you to do unpaid work at a charity shop or something. Nothing that will actually help.

I also think they get bonuses of sorts if you get a job (irregardless of whether or not you wanted the job or the pay etc) I remember once I got an interview solely through my own job hunting skills etc and the lady asked me to inform her if I got the job as they get bonuses.
ilex_noemi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My contract recently ended at boots and I go to the job centre now.
They don't help me at all. I look for jobs myself and put some of them in a book which they then sign every 2 weeks to say that I am looking then I get paid. That's it. They just want proof that you are job searching to be entitled to jsa but they don't actually help you with it.
Probably depends on the centre though. Perhaps some are more useful.
Robweb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbf, even in the same jobcentre advisors range dramatically. One got me a job interview in minuites another was rude dident even look at book and rushed me out door. Whole system needs looking at
natureartpeace
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)

Ok. Didn't imagine it to be that bad to be honest but I will take your advice on board.

(Original post by DotDotCurve)
On the other side, I was unemployed for the whole of 2011. My local Job Centre got me two job interviews and a work placement at another Job Centre for a month. During the job placement I was offer both of the other jobs (retail full time and a charity admin position full time) both on 6 month contracts. Took the charity for more money. After 5 months I realised I wasn't going to be kept on so I went back to the retail outlet and asked if it was still up for grabs, had a quick chat and I had the job. 2 months down the line I am offered a 6 months (which became permanent after 3 months) in an admin position with the civil service.

It can work both ways, I feel it is really down to your specific job centre. My local still checks on me to see how I am getting on, etc.
Thanks. Glad that not all job centres are as bad as they sound above.

(Original post by generalzod)
Though you have said you work part time temporary, how many hours a week are you working? Are you doing 16 or more? If you are, then you might not might not be able to earn Jobseekers Allowance.

I have unfortunately been on Jobseekers since July 2012, in fair and honestly, as someone else has said you would be better off looking for another job while working part-time. Your in a better position than I currently am in with work.

After a while of being on Jobseekers, you are likely to be put on a Best Training Course, to improve your Maths, IT, English skills. Generally you have to attend 2 days a week from 9:30am till 3:00am. Depending on your part-time working hours, these courses might interfere with your working hours.

Sounds awful to be honest. Why don;t they help people though? Are they unable to or unwilling?

(Original post by MancStudent098)
Job centres are just not geared towards people looking for graduate jobs and the like. Does your university not have a careers department - they would be a lot more helpful if you're looking for substantial graduate work.
Thanks. So what is a graduate supposed to do? It's been 16 months since I left university so I doubt they would help me to be honest.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Fuzzpig
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok they will 'help' you by giving you ideas of where to look, but these are pretty much ideas that you'd find on Google. They are not at all trained to deal with graduates. You get something like 12 weeks where you are allowed to focus your search on your degree area, after that you'll be forced to take anything that they think you'll be able to do like just working in a shop.

Different people are told different things, I had to go every week and do 22 things a week and write them down, so that's stuff like reading job adverts.

They will treat you like **** though.
MancStudent098
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks. So what is a graduate supposed to do? It's been 16 months since I left university so I doubt they would help me to be honest.
My university helps people until 3 years after they've left university. It's definitely worth a try.

Otherwise it's down to you to research and apply for jobs, with the way the job market is at the moment unfortunately jobs aren't going to come to you, you have to go to them.

If you tell me a bit about what kind of field you want to work in I might be able to throw you some ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.11%
They might tell the bully (18)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.33%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.89%

Watched Threads