Sherrisphere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was curious to see the responses people would give to this thread.

The idea was inspired by several science-oriented friends of mine who get very condescending towards people studying humanities degrees, literature in particular. I have my own replies to people like this (and have got an offer from Cambridge to do English hooray), but lets see what you've got!

Typical starter: Science degrees teach us something we can apply to better society. Studying English means you read a load of books. What's the point?

(also, please redirect this if this isn't the appropriate forum, but I think it's helpful to answer it regardless)
dark-blue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sherrisphere)
Typical starter: Science degrees teach us something we can apply to better society. Studying English means you read a load of books. What's the point?)
Because it's not like people use words to communicate, advertise, inform etc. on society, is it....?

Literature in particular helps to icnrease cultural awareness, is often thought provoking so can broaden horizons. As a subjects, teaches skills of speaking and forming a solid argument. Also analytical and reasoning skills.

You mentioned humanties, are we counting social sciences here as well even though we're in the English forum? Such subjects helps us understand people and human behaviour, canbe used to help find solutions to problems such as crime and underdevelopment.

Congrats on your offer!
Selym95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As an academic subject it requires incredible imagination and indeed, the ability to express - which together, emphasises the difficulty, but also the 'ease' for those who are talented. Studying mainly science subjects has really highlighted the difficulty when approaching this subject (at A-level) and has really made me appreciate its, perhaps debatable worth. I think it gives students many skills that many other core subjects just can not offer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads