Neck injury...? Watch

Lewk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Woke up this morning and felt fine, then i sat upright in bed for about 5 mins and had neck ache, thought at first it was just from sitting in an awkward position. But then it was really painful to turn my head to the left, its slowly got worse since then and now there are some positions i cant turn my neck at all :/ A doctor appointment will take 3-4 days, could this warrant as something as a little more urgent as I can't imagine being like this for the next 3-4 days.... I have lectures too attend!

any advice appreciated
$hadow
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
Woke up this morning and felt fine, then i sat upright in bed for about 5 mins and had neck ache, thought at first it was just from sitting in an awkward position. But then it was really painful to turn my head to the left, its slowly got worse since then and now there are some positions i cant turn my neck at all :/ A doctor appointment will take 3-4 days, could this warrant as something as a little more urgent as I can't imagine being like this for the next 3-4 days.... I have lectures too attend!

any advice appreciated
It does sound like you slept awkwardly causing some of your neck Muscles to go into Spasm, but I'll ask some basic questions anyway...

- Where the pain is located or anywhere in the local area; is there a lump or bump of any kind?

- Is there any bruising?

- Is there any pain when touching the local area of said pain?

- Have you being in any traumatic events? Car crash, fights, or general accidents

- Any inflammation? Symptoms include: Pain on palpation, lots of heat when touched (touched with BACK of the hand), visible swelling.

- Do you have any neurological symptoms? Tingling, burning or cold sensations, pain travelling down to other places like the arm and back, pins and needles?

- Any other worrying unrelated symptoms? Weight loss, dizziness, feeling sick, pains in the arm or chest, Urinating a lot, pain in the foot, headaches?
Lewk
Rep:
?
(Original post by $hadow)
It does sound like you slept awkwardly causing some of your neck Muscles to go into Spasm, but I'll ask some basic questions anyway...

- Where the pain is located or anywhere in the local area; is there a lump or bump of any kind?

- Is there any bruising?

- Is there any pain when touching the local area of said pain?

- Have you being in any traumatic events? Car crash, fights, or general accidents

- Any inflammation? Symptoms include: Pain on palpation, lots of heat when touched (touched with BACK of the hand), visible swelling.

- Any other worrying unrelated symptoms?
- Where the pain is located or anywhere in the local area; is there a lump or bump of any kind? nope

- Is there any bruising? nope

- Is there any pain when touching the local area of said pain? no, it feels like its coming from inside, theres no pain on the surface

- Have you being in any traumatic events? Car crash, fights, or general accidents Nope, although I did go to the gym yesterday and did some weights, but i felt fine all yesterday after the gym.
- Any inflammation? Symptoms include: Pain on palpation, lots of heat when touched (touched with BACK of the hand), visible swelling. nope

It seems when asked those questions, its relatively mild.

& Thanks for reply
$hadow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)

- Have you being in any traumatic events? Car crash, fights, or general accidents Nope, although I did go to the gym yesterday and did some weights, but i felt fine all yesterday after the gym.
Well, I would say its nothing too serious, however if it continues or gets worse for more than 2 days; go and see a doctor.

Just one thing, you didn't happen to do bench press or shoulder press at the gym did you?
Lewk
Rep:
?
Well, I would say its nothing too serious, however if it continues or gets worse for more than 2 days; go and see a doctor.

Just one thing, you didn't happen to do bench press or shoulder press at the gym did you?
well i did go on a machine that exercises shoulder muscles and another which works on the trapezius muscles now you mention it, but the pain isn't located round those muscles, its kind of towards the left-back area of the middle of my neck
$hadow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
well i did go on a machine that exercises shoulder muscles and another which works on the trapezius muscles now you mention it
I thought so, you may have strained the upper Trapezius muscles, as the Trapezius originates at the Medial portion of the Superior Nuchal line of the Occiput (the lump at the back of your head) and other places within the Cervical area it may have being strained slightly or another elevator of the Scapular may have being strained mildly (grade 1).

Just wait a few days, Rest it and Ice it; it should be fine.
Lewk
Rep:
?
I thought so, you may have strained the upper Trapezius muscles, as the Trapezius originates at the Medial portion of the Superior Nuchal line of the Occiput (the lump at the back of your head) and other places within the Cervical area it may have being strained slightly or another elevator of the Scapular may have being strained mildly (grade 1).

Just wait a few days, Rest it and Ice it; it should be fine.
ah thanks for the advice, well it doesnt seem to have got any worse over the last couple of hours so im pretty confident it'll be fine, won't bother with doctors just yet
CharlotteJones1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i would go to a physio
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (59)
67.05%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.36%

Watched Threads