Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If so how come your not?
I dont feel I have so far, not made friends with people like me etc
myusername.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I felt the same way in September when I started uni. I decided to leave and take a gap-year instead. I can sympathise with people who are not enjoying uni, for some people it's not what you expect it to be.
I bet things will work out though
Aspiringlawstudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I've gotta say.

I hoped to spend all my time surrounded by people who were clever and cultured, and we'd spend our time discussing philosophy and law and having dinners in nice restaurants in London.

Perhaps I had a rather romanticised view of higher education.

It's certainly not been a disaster, though. The education aspect has been fine. The social side has been a bit lacking. I think I overestimated how intellectual people would be.
jeddows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not overly enjoying it to be honest.
It's not all bad, I like the town, I've made a few friends, I've got involved in some sports teams there, and I'm loving the independence to live how I want to.
However, I don't get on with my flat all that well. I only really bother with two of them, and even though they are fun, and have said they like me and want to live with me next year, we're just really different people; I'm fairly quiet, like my own space, try and think before I do things (like banging doors at night, having music too loud etc.), whereas they're really loud, really bubbly, and like to go out all the time (I do like going out, and usually go out once a week, but I do sport pretty much every day, and do a different course so have more work than them!).

But the main reason is that I really don't like my course. I'm doing history and sports studies, which I chose because I like sport and loved studying history. However, I'm not enjoying university history (our tutor summed it up as becoming a scholar, not a historian), and having not studied sport or biology in sixth form, I've found the sport bit a big jump up. I've done well in it (got about 42% out of the 50% of the module we've hard marked already), but most of it has been self taught.

I've taken the first steps onto transferring onto a foundation degree for motorsport engineering, so hopefully things will work out well
Omar_Little
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was pretty depressed in my first year. It got better in second and third.
Mrx123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well it's been a bit of both for me, people like me on my course which is good, i wouldn't say that I'm good friends with many of them but ik that noone hates me which is always gd to know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
26.86%
Not great so far... (280)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads