Hilary89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there,

I'm looking for some practical advice on whether I have a real chance with the LSE and Sciences Po dual degree. I'm from the US and not very familiar with what admissions are looking for in either the UK or France so I'm not sure if its realistic or not.

Here's my info:

Graduated from a competitive liberal arts college (though not top tier) in New York with a 3.45 GPA

Spent a full year during my undergraduate studies studying international development abroad, first in rural Thailand and second in Nairobi, Kenya. Both places I conducted independent field research.

Since graduating I have returned to Southeast Asia on competitive Princeton in Asia fellowships. I spent last year in Northern Thailand working for a child rights organization and am currently in Cambodia working for a major international democracy building organization where I may stay for one more year before applying for these programs.

I speak English fluently (obviously), have advanced Thai skills and am proficient in Lao, Khmer and Kiswahili (super useful, I know, haha).
Although the program at Sciences Po is in English, part of why I want to go there is for the opportunity to be able to study French intensively while living and studying in Paris. Because, you know, it'd be nice to speak a more widely useful language for once.

I have not taken the GRE because most European schools don't require it (including this program)

Another downside of my application is that I do not have a strong background in economics or statistics. Neither program states that it requires these pre-reqs but something tells me that they won't be impressed that I haven't taken a proper macro and micro econ class yet.... am I right?

My main question is if LSE and Sciences Po value the practical international work experience I've had enough to compensate for my lackluster GPA. I am an excellent writer having attended a writing intensive undergraduate college and am very confident that I am up for the academic standards at both schools. Its just, both applications require a $100 or higher fee just to apply so I don't want to waste the money if I really don't have a chance. I get the sense that its the LSE IR program that I should be the most concerned about as its one of their most competitive programs. Frankly, I'd prefer to do a different course at LSE but its the only one thats suited for me that counts towards the dual degree.

Okay, that got really long. I would greatly appreciate any insights into the admissions process of either of these schools.

Thank you!
-Hilary
worldtreader
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say - go for it!
You may not have the minimum GPA they both require - but your experience and background are highly valuable!
Be sure to put it all in your personal statement, you have been many places and learnt many foreign cultural aspects, that is essential to these schools.
You also say you're an excellent writer (and I can see it , you have all of what it takes to write a killer statement!
Also, make sure you get some really striking references, and I believe that les jeux sont faits!
As far as it concerns your academic background in economics or statistics, I am really convinced that the above documents would make up for it. These unis seem to be highly interested in your personality, talent and experience.

This is my piece of advice, I'm just another applicant - applied myself for this Double Degree! - but from all of what I learnt by deeeeeply analysing and studying the schools criteria of admissions ecc, I'm quite sure that's what counts the most to them.
Wish you the best of luck!

PS. By the way, I looked for some update on the applications from Sciences Po, and it only says that they'll begin evaluating them right after the course deadline, which is in a long time!
gsharp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

Have either of you heard about your dual degree applications?

I got accepted separately into both schools but have heard nothing about the dual degree.. the wait is driving me crazy!

The application deadline closed March 1st I believe so they've had almost three weeks to evaluate the applications... ahhhhh!

Best of luck,
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gsharp)
Hey,

Have either of you heard about your dual degree applications?

I got accepted separately into both schools but have heard nothing about the dual degree.. the wait is driving me crazy!

The application deadline closed March 1st I believe so they've had almost three weeks to evaluate the applications... ahhhhh!

Best of luck,
Hi! Yeah I can't wait anymore either! Hope they hurry up, it's been ages since I applied ahah! Best of luck to you!
gsharp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I got an email from the admissions department saying that we would know by the end of April... gah, still so long to go!

Cheers,
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I got an email from the admissions department saying that we would know by the end of April... gah, still so long to go!

Cheers,
Thanks for the info! Yeah it's so much time...good luck!
Hilary89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I actually ended up only applying to LSE (it just made the most sense at this point), but I'm considering deferring for a year and may apply for the dual degree next year. Or go study French at the Sorbonne afterwards. Its an awesome program but I was having a hard time justifying the extra year (of non-EU tuition) when I can get a masters in the UK in one year, and half the cost.

Good luck to you both though! I know this waiting is cruel :confused: just hang in there!
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hilary89)
I actually ended up only applying to LSE (it just made the most sense at this point), but I'm considering deferring for a year and may apply for the dual degree next year. Or go study French at the Sorbonne afterwards. Its an awesome program but I was having a hard time justifying the extra year (of non-EU tuition) when I can get a masters in the UK in one year, and half the cost.

Good luck to you both though! I know this waiting is cruel :confused: just hang in there!
Thanks Good luck to you too!
Alannajayne
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by worldtreader)
Thanks Good luck to you too!
Hi everyone! I applied for this degree too. Did anyone else receive an email a few days ago, or a few weeks after your application was validated, from Sciences Po that read:

"After careful review your application to the programme you have indicated as your second choice has been deemed "admissible" and transferred to the directors of the Master programme for further examination.

We will review your file in due time with our partner university for your first choice (dual degree programme)."

Thoughts?

I haven't received an email about processing times - when were you advised that you would know by the end of April? Sciences Po website said decisions for Dual Degrees would be given 4-5 weeks after the program closed (March 1st).
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alannajayne)
Hi everyone! I applied for this degree too. Did anyone else receive an email a few days ago, or a few weeks after your application was validated, from Sciences Po that read:

"After careful review your application to the programme you have indicated as your second choice has been deemed "admissible" and transferred to the directors of the Master programme for further examination.

We will review your file in due time with our partner university for your first choice (dual degree programme)."

Thoughts?

I haven't received an email about processing times - when were you advised that you would know by the end of April? Sciences Po website said decisions for Dual Degrees would be given 4-5 weeks after the program closed (March 1st).
Hi! I didn't receive any email after the one stating that my application was complete. I suppose your mail means that you got the offer for your second degree, while the application to the double degree is still being examined by the Commissions. As far as it concerns the decision time, I remember reading on the double degree page that it was gonna take something like 8 weeks, and that makes sense, considering the distance 1st March - end of April, as the OP was said to in their email.
Wish you all the best of luck!
Alannajayne
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! I didn't receive any email after the one stating that my application was complete. I suppose your mail means that you got the offer for your second degree, while the application to the double degree is still being examined by the Commissions. As far as it concerns the decision time, I remember reading on the double degree page that it was gonna take something like 8 weeks, and that makes sense, considering the distance 1st March - end of April, as the OP was said to in their email.
Wish you all the best of luck!
Hmmm...thankyou! I really have no idea what it means, I figured that maybe it just meant they were considering me for both at the same time? Which is what I thought they did anyway so it confused me somewhat.

when did you submit your app? Mine was around Feb 13. Let me know if you get any more correspondence! Good luck!
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alannajayne)
Hmmm...thankyou! I really have no idea what it means, I figured that maybe it just meant they were considering me for both at the same time? Which is what I thought they did anyway so it confused me somewhat.

when did you submit your app? Mine was around Feb 13. Let me know if you get any more correspondence! Good luck!
I submitted it on the 15th of December! It's been a loooong wait :P I'll let you know indeed, and please do the same yourself! Good luck to you!
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! Has anyone by any chance received an answer? They are really taking forever to get in touch...I applied on the 16th of december!!!! :/
Scorcer86
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! Has anyone by any chance received an answer? They are really taking forever to get in touch...I applied on the 16th of december!!!! :/
I haven't heard a single word from Sciences Po yet even though I applied in early December!!! getting really anxious here..
gsharp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I initially contacted them they said that the applications would be reviewed by the end of April. When I heard no word from them I contacted them again and they said that there was an issue with the jury date and that we will now find out by the end of May.. I'm getting a little frustrated with all this waiting!
Cavit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I initially contacted them they said that the applications would be reviewed by the end of April. When I heard no word from them I contacted them again and they said that there was an issue with the jury date and that we will now find out by the end of May.. I'm getting a little frustrated with all this waiting!
Hi everyone. I have also taken the same reply from SPo states that "the results will be definitely released by the end of May". Have to wait little more for the results and hope the result will be positive.
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I see, thanks everyone for replying, I guess we have to wait a little longer...hope they actually reply as they said! Crossing fingers!
worldtreader
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi all! I got my answer from Sciences Po - unfortunately it was a rejection. I wish you all the best of luck Cheers!!
Alannajayne
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey! I was rejected too - oh well! Such a long wait for a rejection. I was accepted separately to LSE so I'll be going there in September. Where are you off to, or will you try again?

Best of luck with everything.!
Cavit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey, too. i was also rejected. is there anyone got the acceptance? is this the year of rejection or the site of rejection
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed