Will american colleges care whether I take Math Studies in IB? Watch

Nibbly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently deciding on my course options for IB, and I really want to take math studies. Math has always been my weak point - I pretty much have perfect grades in everything else. I took IGCSE extended math this year (I didn't take core because I did NOT want a C as my highest grade) and I've found it pretty challenging. I'm really interested in the humanities, and for like half my life, I've known that I want to be a psychologist / neuropsychologist. I know I need stats for that, and looking at the math studies curriculum, it's pretty stats intensive (more so, even, than math SL). Would american universities care whether I took math studies? If it helps, I'm interested in schools like Pamona / Pitzer / Bowdoin

I'm also considering relatively easy courses in general, but that's because I'm genuinely interested in everything I'd be taking. My courses would be:

Geography HL
Psychology HL
English A lit HL
French B SL
Math studies / Math SL (ew)
Biology SL

Would taking math studies hurt me?
cpenz7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see why taking math studies would hinder you. I was taking HL, dropped to studies because for Law they don't actually require maths. It'd be different if you were doing maths at uni, or related. Although someone in my year is doing studies, and has still applied to do Medicine.
I reckon the best thing to do is to contact them and ask them.. Then see what their response is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jacinthe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
American colleges are more likely to be more picky about it than English ones, as they don't focus on one area until later. Most of my friends applying to the US are taking at least Maths SL even if they're not interested in science/maths. Could you start out in SL, then drop down to studies after Christmas if it's really not working out? That's what I did, only I dropped from HL to SL (also after having done IGCSE maths, but the Cambridge International rather than extended). The only thing that might limit you dropping out is when your school does the IAs, but most don't do it until at least Easter anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed