TDL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Limit Pricing

When a firm has lower average costs then the potential firm entering the market. They set the price below the potential firms average cost, but above their own in order to prevent the firm from coming into the market. After which, they will raise prices again without the fear of another firm coming into the market, and hence creating barriers to entry. They do not make a loss in the short term (unlike predatory).

^ Is the above correct, is there anything I should add?

Predatory pricing

This is when a firm sets the price below their own average costs in order to drive out competitors in the market. After the competitors have left, they will raise prices again and thus earn more profit/revenue as there is less competition. They make 100% Loss in the short term.

Iceyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TDL)
Limit Pricing

When a firm has lower average costs then the potential firm entering the market. They set the price below the potential firms average cost, but above their own in order to prevent the firm from coming into the market. After which, they will raise prices again without the fear of another firm coming into the market, and hence creating barriers to entry. They do not make a loss in the short term (unlike predatory).

In addition to this, it is the highest price that an incumbent (existing) firm in a market can set without enabling firms to enter the market and take away some of the supernormal profits.^ Is the above correct, is there anything I should add?

Predatory pricing

This is when a firm sets the price below their own average variable costs in order to drive out competitors in the market. After the competitors have left, they will raise prices again and thus earn more profit/revenue as there is less competition. They make 100% Loss in the short term. This is an illegal, uncompetitive practice and if found out by the Competition Comission, they will fine the firm a crippling amount of money.
Really good, but thought i'd just add a little more to it to give it a more evaluative feel. :P
TDL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Iceyy)
Really good, but thought i'd just add a little more to it to give it a more evaluative feel. :P
Great, thanks.
Flinders87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Predatory pricing is actually a method used to bankrupt the opposing firm, in the aim that the firm using the predatory pricing method can attempt to buy out the bankrupt firm. Hence the 'predatory' name.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads