500 cal diet?! Watch

This discussion is closed.
anoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i have been on a 500 cal diet low carb or the last 3 weeks, lost 3lbs!! last night i ate a tortilla wrap and I was back up by about 4lbs in the morning!! wat on earth is wrong with me?

I am hypothyroid and my meds are all up to date but is this even physically possible??
und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only thing I can think of is that your body was in starvation mode and stored the next decent meal (The tortilla) as fat. 500 cals a day is ridiculous, a child eats triple that! I don't think your diet's the issue-just eat healthily and make sure you get the right amount and type of exercise necessary

Having a good diet and exercise always meets halfway. This is from experience of losing almost three stone.
Djohnston18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because you're starving you're body 500 cal you may as well not eat anything. So all your doing is telling you body you're getting nothing then when you do eat you're body does not process the food efficiently and stored the fat etc immediately to conserve energy what you doing Is a big no no!
anoon
Rep:
?
I did the lighterlife diet its like around 500 cals, i lost 4 stone on that in about 5 months, i guess i was jst trying to imitate that, utter fail!
Djohnston18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're hungry then eat just watch what you eat I.e the percentage of protein to carbohydrates within a meal and make sure you're working to compensate for your eating you should realistically never loose more than 2 lbs in a week if you do then its more than likely going to be bad weight I.e muscle.
Beth_L_G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should eat a minimum of 1200kcal a day or your body goes into starvation mode and you'll end up gaining weight
SuziieB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's obviously something you're doing wrong as 500 calories a day WILL force your body to burn fat and muscle over time.

You can't gain weight on 500 calories a day, assuming you burn about close to 2000 calories just doing nothing all day, your body will need fuel to do the basic necessities. It's just not possible.

Are you actually counting everything you eat like on a food diary or something?

Rep:
?
(Original post by SuziieB)
There's obviously something you're doing wrong as 500 calories a day WILL force your body to burn fat and muscle over time.

You can't gain weight on 500 calories a day, assuming you burn about close to 2000 calories just doing nothing all day, your body will need fuel to do the basic necessities. It's just not possible.

Are you actually counting everything you eat like on a food diary or something?

i know right! thats exactly what i'm thinking! heres a typical day: 2 eggs in the morning, boiled, quarter or half chicken depending on how hungry I am and a couple of lamb chops...endless cups of tea and coffee no sugar and a splash of skimmed milk, about a litre of water a day no juice or anything else!! i'm thinking its my thyroid, but even then its a bit ridiculous, eating next to nothing for days on end and not seeing a result, when I know that its possible as i've done it before, its only been a few weeks but even then u lose the most in the first week or so
TaylorGang_4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With a 500 calorie diet, you will lose predominantly water and muscle. Low calorie diets are acute lasting and very ineffective in the long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

(Original post by anoon)
i know right! thats exactly what i'm thinking! heres a typical day: 2 eggs in the morning, boiled, quarter or half chicken depending on how hungry I am and a couple of lamb chops...endless cups of tea and coffee no sugar and a splash of skimmed milk, about a litre of water a day no juice or anything else!! i'm thinking its my thyroid, but even then its a bit ridiculous, eating next to nothing for days on end and not seeing a result, when I know that its possible as i've done it before, its only been a few weeks but even then u lose the most in the first week or so
Wow. That's absolutely nothing. You should really stop with the caffeine intake if it's "endless cups" and I guess in your situation, full fat milk would probably be better, as you're not taking in the nutrients you need.

Please, please please do not continue like this. Your body doesn't like it at all. To give a first world example, consider that when Muslims fast, their diet is pretty damn restricted, and it's near impossible to eat your whole days worth of food in one sitting, yet during Ramadan, people still put weight on and not lose it, because they are starving their body, despite not eating any where near as much

(Muslim btw)
Aries1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was on a 500 cals a day diet and would loose 5-6lbs a week for the first few weeks then it slowed down to about 1-3lbs a week.

However, as soon as you start eating normally you put it all back on.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Garbage131
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
May be down to salt intake , the tortilla may of been high in salt leading your body to absorb a lot more water weight making you heavier
Booyah
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would recommend you stop this 500 KCal diet, I don't know much about it however I know that you end up losing more in the long run, your health.

go to the gym, you may be a woman but 5 lbs of muscle is nothing compared to 5 lbs of fat, and guess what muscle helps to burn fat. Look at the different densities of muscle and fat, having 5 lbs of muscle is a small amount, and pretty much everybody prefers tone to visible ribs.

Eat healthily, if you are going to diet, find out what your BMR is and then cut out 500 Kcal from that maximum.
SuziieB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
Please don't encourage people to go on 500 calorie diets
I'm not encouraging her, I am merely stating a fact that she will lose something on that diet. I also never mentioned that it was healthy.
SuziieB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aries1992)
I was on a 500 cals a day diet and would loose 5-6lbs a week for the first few weeks then it slowed down to about 1-3lbs a week.

However, as soon as you start eating normally you put it all back on.

Did you actually gain everything back? I did that diet a few years ago (have stopped now), and I didn't really gain more than a few pounds - less than a quarter of the total lost. :dontknow: I still haven't gained it up till now but a lot of people apparently do.
Aries1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you actually gain everything back? I did that diet a few years ago (have stopped now), and I didn't really gain more than a few pounds - less than a quarter of the total lost. :dontknow: I still haven't gained it up till now but a lot of people apparently do.
Yeah I not only gained what I lost back but also put more on. Like others have said I wouldn't recommend it. 1200 cals a day is ok to loose weight and exercise. When I was on 500 a day I had no energy to exercise.

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads