Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    wud sb plz help me?
    reli duno how2write the 1st sentence of my PS in the UCAS form!!
    thzzzzzzzzzzzz~~~*

ReputationRep:
    o, yes~of coz...!
    im juz in lower sixth now~!
    ^.^"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leonakwan)
    wud sb plz help me?
    reli duno how2write the 1st sentence of my PS in the UCAS form!!
    thzzzzzzzzzzzz~~~*
    You could write something like...

'I have had a strong interest in the sciences during my experiences of education, and whilst taking my A-levels I have developed a particularly fascination with the biological sciences'.

Sounds a bit cheesy, but cheese is best to impress.

ReputationRep:
    thx~!
    & is there a more creative way of showing my interest in NatSci?

ReputationRep:
    Somebody I know (who also applied for biological natsci) started her personal statement:

"So here it is, the 47 lines set to determine my future. Quite a daunting prospect to say the least."

I have no idea how well it went down with admissions tutors. She got rejected from Cambridge but accepted everywhere else (including Durham and Imperial)

ReputationRep:
    mmm...icic~~
    do u know which college she applied2?

ReputationRep:
    mmm...icic~~
    do u know which college she applied2?
    Trinity

ReputationRep:
    well...okok~ no wonder she got rejected coz trinity is such an excellent college!!!

well...okok~ no wonder she got rejected coz trinity is such an excellent college!!!
    Since you don't know here you can't really say can you....people tend to try and apply where they feel they would fit in most ie she probably feels shes pretty clever (and probably is) and so applied to one of the best if not the best col. Had she been a little less clever, she may have felt it was more appropriate to apply to say pembroke ie it would be in keeping with her standards.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    ummm - I hope you're just practicing to send in your form in September because you've missed the deadline by 2 months....and the oxbridge deadline (considering that cambridge are the only major uni that offers nat sci) by 5 months.
    PQ i thought Durham also offered nat sci and maybe one or 2 other places?

ReputationRep:
    the simplest way i can get my advice across (it is available to read in this forum on another thread) is avoid the use of the word "I". For more info, read my post on the other thread

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really a real technique to go about this. just show that you have a real flair for the subject.

you sound as if you're more orientated with the idea of "natsci and cambridge". just opt for courses you want, and if you miss out on cambridge, no big deal, far more important and exciting aspects ahead of you.

i applied for natsci, they sent questionnaires round for the first time and they do ask for your grade breakdowns so i suggest those matter probably equally as much as your PS means too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude13)
    Since you don't know here you can't really say can you....people tend to try and apply where they feel they would fit in most ie she probably feels shes pretty clever (and probably is) and so applied to one of the best if not the best col. Had she been a little less clever, she may have felt it was more appropriate to apply to say pembroke ie it would be in keeping with her standards.

yes, except for the fact that Pembroke has a higher appliation:acceptance ratio than Trinity by a long way. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A question about Natural Sciences (Physical) PS - sorry to hijack the thread.

I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, but all my other choices will be Physics based (physics, theoretical physics or maths and physics).
    I like that I'd get to do chemistry and another subject as well for 1st year NatSci, but should I write about my interest in Chemistry in my P.S. or not?

ReputationRep:
    write mainly about physics and mention your "general interest in science". I did not write anything about chemistry in particular, but i think i did at one point just say something along the lines of how i find it interesting to see how physics holds all other sciences together - thus linking physics to chemistry. I think they appriciate that people applying are gonna be able to talk about only one subject in their PS - but rest assured, at the interview they'll test you on both chemistry and physics (yuuck)

erm
    I may be biased as pembroke is where I have my offer from......but since when has it been an "easy" or "less academic" (by cam standards) college? It's consistently been near the top of the college ranking tables and last year was one of the "red" coded colleges for having much-above-average applicantslaces ratio for natsci.

trinity, on the other hand, did not have higher-than-average applications for anything, only a couple of slightly-higher-than-average ratings

rosie

ReputationRep:
    PQ i thought Durham also offered nat sci and maybe one or 2 other places?

Yes. Durham do, Leeds do, not sure about any others. They're set up slightly differently from the Cambridge course though.

And Trinity is not better than other Cambridge colleges!! Big and rich does not equal good. Humph. It's not necessarily that much harder to get into either. So there. (Not that I have a complex about being at an insignificant college or anything....)

ReputationRep:
    in choosing a college - it's as simple as going there and walking around them. Before i went to an open day, i was thinking "kings looks good...yeah...maybe kings". I got the cambridge, set foot in kings, and knew it was wrong. It was too grand, i hated the "Do not walk on grass" signs everywhere, i just knew it was wrong. My friend however felt the opposite, he knew it was right for him. That's the way it is.
    So if you're thinknig of applying to trinity, go there and walk around. I said no to trinity because it was just TOO big (we got lost on the way to the admissions office...it's that confusing! - or we're just that dumb).
    Choosing a college is always quite tricky - but you shouldnt start thinking about applicant ratios, accomodation cost etc, until you've walked round some. Almost everyone i know has walked into a college and it just felt...right. I remember how it felt to walk into the college i applied for...you just felt...at home. It's hard to explain, but you'll know the feeling if you experience it.
    Only afterwards should you look at all the statistics (just my luck that the college i liked was stupidly oversubscribed)

ReputationRep:

You are rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yes. Durham do, Leeds do, not sure about any others. They're set up slightly differently from the Cambridge course though.

And Trinity is not better than other Cambridge colleges!! Big and rich does not equal good. Humph. It's not necessarily that much harder to get into either. So there. (Not that I have a complex about being at an insignificant college or anything....)
    Cambridge are the only uni that do bio nat sci (i think bath might do as well not quite sure) durham don't offer biology and i don't think leeds do either. but you're just as well off doing a combination course (i.e enviromental and evolutionary science)

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.