sophiech
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm someone who wants to become a lawyer in the future. I'm starting university in September hopefully and really want work experience in a set of chambers or a solicitor's firm beforehand. I did work experience last year with Thompsons solicitors but think it would be really beneficial to get even more work experience before i go to uni (so i've got the "edge" over other people on my course). I've approached several chambers over the past few months, got really happy and excited because a very well renowned one got back to me asking for a CV, cover note and dates I would be available and then after i sent these things, turned around and said they had made a mistake and did not offer work experience to college students so anyone who is particularly great at getting work experience with firms who is around my age want to give me some tips? Would be so appreciated!
Charlottie93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sophiech)
Hi,
I'm someone who wants to become a lawyer in the future. I'm starting university in September hopefully and really want work experience in a set of chambers or a solicitor's firm beforehand. I did work experience last year with Thompsons solicitors but think it would be really beneficial to get even more work experience before i go to uni (so i've got the "edge" over other people on my course). I've approached several chambers over the past few months, got really happy and excited because a very well renowned one got back to me asking for a CV, cover note and dates I would be available and then after i sent these things, turned around and said they had made a mistake and did not offer work experience to college students so anyone who is particularly great at getting work experience with firms who is around my age want to give me some tips? Would be so appreciated!
Smaller solicitors firms are easier to get into, chambers are incredibly hard due to the nature of some of the cases I work for a solicitors firm and we allow anyone from secondary school upwards to come and do work experience with us in any of our departments.

I certainly recommend a smaller firm although I know a few larger firms take college students but from experience the majority normally prefer to take on uni students.
shaminn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is harder for a college student to get a place, as many firms/chambers have begun to change their policies to Undergrad. level as a minimum requirement. However, you are more likely to get a place at a smaller place where competition for work exp. places are a bit lower.

I think that I will try and do some work experience but possible in my 1st year, and then obviously apply for loads in my 2nd and see how it all goes.
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shaminn)
It is harder for a college student to get a place, as many firms/chambers have begun to change their policies to Undergrad. level as a minimum requirement. However, you are more likely to get a place at a smaller place where competition for work exp. places are a bit lower.

I think that I will try and do some work experience but possible in my 1st year, and then obviously apply for loads in my 2nd and see how it all goes.
Apply for Open Days in your first year, great foot in the door to the vac scheme and then onto the TC (and NQ, senior associate, partner and equity I suppose if you're good enough!).

OP-Small firms or Pinsents scheme are likely your best bet. Don't worry too much though, if you get some stuff in first year like open days or work personal contacts then you're off to a great start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.11%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.74%
It might lead to more bullying (85)
35.56%
There's nothing they could do (72)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest