TonyRobertson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,
I am at a college at the moment, studying English Literature, French, Spanish and Government and Politics. However, I have decided I would prefer to teach myself; I feel the set structure and pace of a school day holds me back, and more importantly I have an opportunity to be part-time employed for good money. However, before I make what is undoubtedly a big decision in my life, I want to know if anyone else who has self-taught/is self-teaching has any advice, especially in an MFL, because I'm not entirely sure how easy it is to take the oral part of the exam.
Thanks, hope you can help.
P.S. I got 5 A*s and 6 As at GCSE, and probably do still want to go to university
Aries1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I self taught Sociology last year and without much effort got a B at alevel. I have self taught Psychology for January exams this year and will find out in March how that went. I know how you feel; college held me back.

Would definitely recommend it if you trust yourself to put the time and effort in and if your current teachers are still ok with helping you (even via email if you have any questions) that will be even better!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
MyNameIsRay
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends if you think you will be able to motivate yourself to teach yourself.
You may now, but that can fade pretty quick...

Personally I wouldn't trust myself.
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had to self-teach the first modules of AS due to being ill, so being unable to attend lessons. Personally I would not recommend it (even though I got three As) as learning what the examiners want to see is difficult, even if the content is not. And at the end of the day a lot of the time marks are awarded not for understanding the content, but writing what it says on the mark scheme.
Zadeth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know how you feel. My History teacher, for my German module anyhow, does not teach us. She reads a page and gets us to copy out the page onto another page - only this time it's not in bullet points, it's a spider diagram! I'll probably have to teach myself my German History module. I honestly think if you have the willpower, determination and support from family (e.g removing all distractions and putting you in a 'school' environment at home) then you should go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads