Icefire72
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I am currently in Year 12 at school and am studying the AS Levels; Maths. Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I have the interest of doing Maths at university after my A Levels. I would like to know whether Unis would take preference of candidates who study Further Maths at A2. Also i am unsure as to if I take Further Maths at A2 level would this firstly lower an offer if given and would taking Maths and Economics as my other two subjects be acceptable or would I have to take all 4 subjects through to a2 to get into uni?

Many Thanks,
Dom
3_14159_maths27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Taking further maths at A2
Top universities for maths like Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial etc. want Further Maths to A2 if at all possible. Not only does it show your interest in maths, but it means you learn more maths and won't spend too much time catching up when you get to uni. Check the typical offers for the universities' websites and on UCAS course search if you're really unsure.

Other subjects
Most unis don't mind which other subjects you do, but both Chemistry and Economics are very useful and they will like whichever one you do.

About whether to drop a subject - if you only do three subjects, they can only ask you to get certain grades in those three subjects but you cannot afford to miss out on a grade. However, if you take four subjects you may have a lifeline if you slip a grade in one subject, but on the other hand they may give you an offer involving all four subjects.

Ultimately, it's your decision, but make sure you keep all the options open so you can make the right decision.
Vernish
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think most unis want Further Maths to at least AS and its preferred to A2.

Also, whereas Cambridge doesn't recommend more than 3 A2s for Arts/Humanities subjects, for maths/sciences they say:

For those who want to apply for mathematical and science subjects we are aware that the academic value of taking four A levels is clearer. We certainly would never wish to put off an applicant offering, say, three sciences plus maths for our science-based courses, and would very actively encourage all applicants in Physical Natural Sciences, Computer Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Mathematics to take Further Maths if available (and, if not, to see how else they might improve and develop their mathematical knowledge and skills according to the advice offered on both the University of Cambridge Engineering and Mathematics Faculties’ websites). At some schools this may involve taking AS Further Maths even when the full A level cannot be resourced. Further Maths is also of real value for Economists.

Further Maths is thus a particular case which should be considered separately from others. In many ways it is effectively not a fourth, distinct A level, but grows out of work done for A level Maths. The combination of Maths and Further Maths is not, for those strong in the subject, as heavy a burden as combinations of Maths with any other A level.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...ons/responses/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
6.98%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.08%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.28%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.05%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.62%

Watched Threads