crazyunicorn133
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i'm looking for some books to help me stay up to date with my anatomy and physiology, microbiology and pharmacology. I do have a reading list but i'm seeing if there are any better books elsewhere.

So, fellow nurses, what are your go-to reference books?

Thanks
lilibeth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
BNF for pharm is a life saver. I've been taking mine to placement so when I get a minute I can look at my list of commonly used drugs on the ward. As for A&P books I used fundamentals of A&P for student nurses by Pete and Naire but just because that was the one that felt most comfortable for me when I was looking at books to buy. I would suggest going to your library and having a leaf through a few A&P books before you commit to one. They aren't cheap and you don't want to end up with one too simplistic or too complicated for you.
Digi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am a Nurse rather than a student, but I still refer to my copy of Tortora - Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. I have no idea what edition they are up to now, but I started my training in 1999 and feel my edition is still relevant. If you are not going to use if for referencing in assignments, then there is no reason why you shouldn't buy an older version off ebay/amazon etc. I would second what Lilibeth has said though - check out the A+P books in the library first as they are extremely expensive, and what is a good learning tool for one person might not be a good learning tool for you.

Pharmacology wise, again, you can't beat the BNF. As a student I would write down any drugs I came into contact with that I wasn't familiar with and then look them up in the BNF. Another book I find really useful and use now is 'A nurses survival guide to drugs in practice' by Ann Richards - it is pocketbook sized so easy to take with you on the ward and I know a lot of pharmacology students also use it as, for a little book, it is really detailed

Sorry, no idea about a microbiology book - it isn't something I would ever use as I tend to just use the clinical guidelines that are published at work instead

Hope this helps
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fifty shades of Grey seems to be quite popular amongst some of the girls at work.

However, the BNF is good for knowing doses and all the other bits and bobs, but it doesn't go into depth massively about the pharmacology of what's going on, it assumes readers to understand that already. I don't own a copy of it, the most up to date version is the online one and is free to register for. I don't know what sort of level of understanding of pharmacology you have at the moment OP, however when I was a student I found Introducing Pharmacology for Nursing and Healthcare by Roger McFadden a really good book that goes over all the basic principles of pharmacology and covers a lot of drugs you will have encountered.
crazyunicorn133
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for all your recommendations
I think i'm going to head to the library and have a rummage in there to get an idea of what's good. The trouble is, with library books, some of them are quite old so you're unable to find them in shops!

I'll have a go tho
Joanna-Marie :)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'How the Body Works' by Abraham is a pretty decent A&P and Pathophysiology book .. explains things in detail but also in a simple language
Chloex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We were reccommended to use the Martini a&p book but it's quite pricey! See if you can get second hand copies or an older version.
Kibalchich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm studying mental health nursing, but this

KOZIER, B., ERB, G. BERMAN, A. SNYDER, S., LAKE, R. and HARVEY, S. (2008). Fundamentals of Nursing: Concepts, process and practice. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.

was the nursing textbook recommended in our foundation year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads