The Student Room Group

Is two gap years too much?

I'm on my first gap year and have missed the deadline for ucas (but I know there are still ways of applying for this year ect)

I was considering taking a second gap year but wondered if two years is too much? I know everybody will say go when you're ready but that isn't whats really bothering me.

My best friend has always been the year below so a years difference, to me, means very little. However my sister is two years younger than me and when I'm with her friends I FEEL older. I don't know if its just because its my sister or what but I was hoping for advice from maybe someone who has taken two gap years.

Can you tell there is a difference in age when conversing with other students and do you feel it might hinder my fitting in or the making friends process. I might be panicking over nothing but 18 and 20 seem quite far apart.

(Completely forgot to add the crucial point!!) - Even though I am now on a gap year, I did start at a university in September but quickly realised that that particular course was not for me. Since then I've struggled with which course I should be taking because I thought the one I started on was perfect for me. So to find out it wasn't knocked me off balance a little bit. Although I'm pretty much set on which course I'd like to do now, I don't want to rush it and have to drop out once again
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
yes
Two gap years usually means you don't want to go to university.
Its not too much at all! Ive known people take 3 or 4 years off! It'll be worth it if you make it productive.
The difference between 18 and 20 is nothing to be worried about at all. There's plenty of freshers who are 20, and age hardly matters when you get to uni.

Search TSR and you'll see loads of threads asking this if you need further reassurance from other people.
Reply 5
It depends on what you've done/planning to do in the two years. A lot of accomplish many things during their gap year(s) and as a result have a lot to talk about when interviewed/writing their personal statement.
The age thing isn't a problem. At university you see people of all age groups, and you often befriend people from years above you who fit your age group.
I agree with waldorf, do you really want to go uni? If so how could you have missed the deadline?
Reply 7
I took two gap years and now im in university. So it doesnt really matter. Only a few of the student are 18 or 19.

Quick Reply

Latest