Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey every one.

i applied to nottingham oxford UCL LSE manchester and brimingham to study law next year.

i had an excellent personal statement a wide range of extracurricular activities. predicted 3As at A level, got 2 A stars 8 As for Gcses.

despite this i have been rejected by

Oxford (kinda predictably tho after being called for an interview)
    Nottingham (not even considered for the writing exam)
    Manchester (straight rejection)

i have obtained an offer of AAb from birmingham, however this is not a university that i want to go to. i am aware of the immense competition in law, but was shocked at receiving these rejections, especially from NOttingham and Manchester(which i had put down as an insurance option)

plz ppl tell me what i did wrong!!!

also could ppl who got offers from any of the places above for law please post their grades etc

cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Probably setting your sights a little too high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    hey every one.

i applied to nottingham oxford UCL LSE manchester and brimingham to study law next year.

i had an excellent personal statement a wide range of extracurricular activities. predicted 3As at A level, got 2 A stars 8 As for Gcses.

despite this i have been rejected by

Oxford (kinda predictably tho after being called for an interview)
    Nottingham (not even considered for the writing exam)
    Manchester (straight rejection)

i have obtained an offer of AAb from birmingham, however this is not a university that i want to go to. i am aware of the immense competition in law, but was shocked at receiving these rejections, especially from NOttingham and Manchester(which i had put down as an insurance option)

plz ppl tell me what i did wrong!!!

also could ppl who got offers from any of the places above for law please post their grades etc

cheers!
    Despite seemingly having a good application...you have to realise that competition for law at Manchester and Nottingham is incredibly high.....out of the 800 ppl invited to take the nott test...only 70-80 will get an offer. It's crazy.

What AS results did you get....maybe they weren't as good as the rest of your application??

I got in with 9A*s and 3As at GCSE, 3As at AS and predicted 3As at A2...also with loads of extracurricular stuff like YE, DofE, musics and sport.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    Probably setting your sights a little too high.
    really? i can understand for oxford maybe, but for manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Probably an average personal statement??

ReputationRep:
    i think u underestimate manchester and nottingham. nottinghma is EXTREMELY hard to get in for law
    i know many straight A students who hav been rejected

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you came across as an idiot in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    what part of "excellent" personal statement dint u guys get? this was my headmasters words btw, not mine

ReputationRep:
    Just because one person says it was 'excellent' doesn't make it 'excellent'.. perhaps your apparent arrogance stuck out and was your downfall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    what part of "excellent" personal statement dint u guys get? this was my headmasters words btw, not mine
    Maybe your headmaster's idea of excellent differ from that of the admissions tutors....??
    Or maybe it was good, but there were just so many other candidates who also had very good personal statements that there weren't enough places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Well you're certainly coming across like a lawyer.

But then that's not actually a good thing IMO
    Oy thats my future career you're dissing lol.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it = you have one offer for law...why on earth did you apply there if you didnt want to go there?! There are so many applicants that it is inevitable that some will be rejected - if for some reason you thought you would get all offers then you have been seriously misguided.

ReputationRep:
    As dissappointing as being rejected is, I wouldn't blame your grades, or your personal statement - clearly as far as they were concerned, you had the credentials to get into any of the three unis you named. The problem is just that all three of them are heavily oversubscribed to. There are just so few places for so many equally well qualified applicants. When it comes down to it, which of two grade-wise virtually identical A* students gets accepted and which is rejected, is a bit of a lottery.
    My advice, if these really were your top choice unis, and you want it enough, would be to take a gap year, and then reapply. If you spend the year sensibly (say getting useful work experience which would look good in your next personal statement), and then applied to the same unis again, you would be showing them that you were serious about wanting to do whatever your course is...and I'm sure that they'd be impressed with your determination at a second oxford interview, as well as the fact that you would probably have gained in confidence, experience by them, so you would perhaps come across as more mature as well...(I've heard of several people who it took two tries to get into oxbridge.)
    Anyway, it really depends on how much it means to you, and how badly you want it...so give it some thought.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever uni you end up going to though, so don't worry too much about it.
    )

ReputationRep:
    Brum is good for law anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you apply to Birmingham if you didn't want to go there ? There are plenty more law schools.

your gcse's arent very impressive, thats what went wrong, every man and his dog has 3A's and a good personal statement, like an AAA would have a *bad* ps or ref

you come over as arrogant, i assume thats what put admissions tutors off

ReputationRep:
    sometimes we become so obsessed with the prestige of unis that we tend to lose our focus of why we want to study law in the first place. law is a mechanism for social change in society. do we want to contribute to that or do we want to 'wear suits and kitten heels like McBeal'

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the original post I think it's a bit of luck really as there is so little seperating people these days.
    At least that's what I'm telling myself

ReputationRep:
    this person just sounds like they want to wear wigs and hear the sound of their own voice in a courtroom
    Oi! That's my boyf your dissing!!!! :lol

ReputationRep:
    this person just sounds like they want to wear wigs and hear the sound of their own voice in a courtroom
    Oi! That's my boyfs career your dissing!!!! :lol

Still can't get used to the wig and gown thing!

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.