Turn on thread page Beta

what went wrong with my application? watch

ReputationRep:
    Had you ever thought about applying to Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    hey every one.

i applied to nottingham oxford UCL LSE manchester and brimingham to study law next year.

i had an excellent personal statement a wide range of extracurricular activities. predicted 3As at A level, got 2 A stars 8 As for Gcses.

despite this i have been rejected by

Oxford (kinda predictably tho after being called for an interview)
    Nottingham (not even considered for the writing exam)
    Manchester (straight rejection)

i have obtained an offer of AAb from birmingham, however this is not a university that i want to go to. i am aware of the immense competition in law, but was shocked at receiving these rejections, especially from NOttingham and Manchester(which i had put down as an insurance option)

plz ppl tell me what i did wrong!!!

also could ppl who got offers from any of the places above for law please post their grades etc

cheers!
    Maybe they were looking for evidence of literacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    Maybe they were looking for evidence of literacy.
    If the admission tutors were half as judgemental as you clearly are then i have no doubts as to why i wasnt accepted

ReputationRep:
    Law is unbelievably competative at top universities. I believe that this year Nottingham had something like 2500 people applying for about 100 places.

I don't see why people are bothered anyway. Do your undergrad at somewhere reasonably decent where it's not too hard to get in (Lancaster, Hull, U.E.A.) and get a Hons or 2:1. Then go to Nottingham / York / Leeds for your 4th year.

If you are good you will make it regardless of where you go assuming that it's half decent and believe it or not some employers are actually fed up of seeing top academic applicants from Oxbridge et al and want to see someone with a bit of personality and character.

If the admission tutors were half as judgemental as you clearly are then i have no doubts as to why i wasnt accepted

Uhh, what do you think admissions tutors do? Answer: they judge you. Harshly. They have about 5 minutes to look at each UCAS form out of hundreds of applicants, and I guess you just didn't stand out. You didn't exactly leave yourself any easy options, did you? With Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham, UCL and LSE, it's highly likely that you would have been rejected by every single one, as they reject many candidates with far better grades than you, and it really is a lottery.

Anyway, people who write like you are just asking for it. There are only two reasons for writing like that. These are:
    1) becuz u fink it lookz kewl
    2) because you're lazy

I don't imagine you wrote like that in your PS, but these things probably came across anyway.

ReputationRep:
    There's some guy from my college who must have got nearly all A*s at GCSE, got AAAA in his AS Level and was predicted AAAA but still got 6 rejections for Medicine. It's so f*cked up right now. I have another friend who I knew from secondary school who got all A*s at GCSE, AAAAA at AS Level and A2 and still didn't get into Trinity College, Cambridge for Maths. I think it was because he got 1,1,2 in his STEP, and now he has to do his Maths at another Cambridge college. He definitely deserved it since he only came from China 4 years ago and didn't speak a single word of English. Now, that's what you call impressive.

I'll be applying for English courses post A-level, having already got AAAB at A-level (in English Lit, Music, French and Law) and 6A*s, 4As and 2Bs at GCSE. I do extra-curricular music, will be working for my DipABRSM this year and possibly Grade 6 in piano, my 2nd instrument. I have represented my schools in basketball, netball, cricket and gymnastics. I have a really good gap year job and may go travelling next summer.

Ideally I'd like to go somewhere like Warwick or Bristol, but I'll also be including an "insurance choice" or two, even though I already have my grades. You can't be too careful. Everyone has straight A grades, everyone's teachers love them and guides to writing personal statements get more comprehensive every year. Now that everyone knows the tricks of the trade, they're just not good enough to guarantee you a place anymore, and so you really have to convince them you're better than the other applicants.

A lot of the time, people get rejected for no apparent reason. Some universities, such as Durham, have admitted to screening applicants for certain courses, for example, deciding not to even consider anyone who didn't get an A* at GCSE in a history (for History and Politics, I think). A friend of mine was told this after being rejected. He is brilliant at History, and got 300/300 at AS. The only reason he doesn't have an A* at GCSE is because his school didn't run the GCSE course for his year group, and so he couldn't take it. Were Durham interested? They'd rather have watched paint dry.

ReputationRep:
    Like it or not the problem is that A-levels are getting easier. I got straight "A"'s at A-level but don't think that I could have done this 25 years ago and I have seen exam papers from this time and they do look more challenging.

Learning methods are also becoming more efficient, access to the internet and the massive availability of textbooks means that students have much information at their fingertips and can read almost endless material about their chosen subject thus increasing their knowledge. The curent "module" system along with the option to retake a unit as many times as you like means that people will retake until they get the grade that they want / require.

As a result of all of the above anyone half decent seems to be walking away with an "A" whilst 25 years ago getting an "A" was seen as the gold standard.

Almost 1 in 4 A-level papers results in an "A" grade being awarded and as a result admissions tutors at top universities are being swamped with applications from straight "A" students.

The problem is there needs to be some way to distinguish the best candidates from people who are just good. Until this happens many "straight A" students will end up getting rejected. Perhaps the addition of an "A*" or adopting a new exam althgether like the I.B. or whatever it's called.

Basically the person who started this seems to be a "top student" but probably could have been a bit more clever in the application process . I mean who the hell puts down Nottingham as an insurance option? I realised that my prospects of Nottingham / Leeds / Manchester were probably not amazing so I balanced my application with Hull / Newcastle / Lancaster.

Basically by putting 3 "good" universities in along with the "top 10" ones I knew that I would get some offers and I did!

hey every one.

i applied to nottingham oxford UCL LSE manchester and brimingham to study law next year.

i had an excellent personal statement a wide range of extracurricular activities. predicted 3As at A level, got 2 A stars 8 As for Gcses.

despite this i have been rejected by

Oxford (kinda predictably tho after being called for an interview)
    Nottingham (not even considered for the writing exam)
    Manchester (straight rejection)

i have obtained an offer of AAb from birmingham, however this is not a university that i want to go to. i am aware of the immense competition in law, but was shocked at receiving these rejections, especially from NOttingham and Manchester(which i had put down as an insurance option)

plz ppl tell me what i did wrong!!!

also could ppl who got offers from any of the places above for law please post their grades etc

cheers!
    commiserations dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    There's some guy from my college who must have got nearly all A*s at GCSE, got AAAA in his AS Level and was predicted AAAA but still got 6 rejections for Medicine.
    Sorry to be so pedantic, but maybe he got 6 rejections because you can only apply for 4 medical courses? . On a more serious note grades are only part of the game, we all know that. Maybe his personal statement wasn't up to scratch, maybe his work experience wasn't adequate, maybe his reference lacked something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Like it or not the problem is that A-levels are getting easier. I got straight "A"'s at A-level but don't think that I could have done this 25 years ago and I have seen exam papers from this time and they do look more challenging!
    If you had been taught what you had to know to pass them and were practiced in that style of exam you would still have done well. We are not more stupid than people 25 years ago just taught differenlty.
    Our A-levels are more like their O-levels in many cases.

ReputationRep:
    You could write to the places you were rjected from and ask why. i got 3 offers fro med but was turned down by Leeds after interview - I wrote to them and they sent me the interview summary sheet - it showed what I did wrong. I disagree with some of the things they said but there was noting i could do nor did i care that much to start a letter war i knew would get me nowhere.
    I didn't have what they were looking for - I've no idea what that was but my other places were looking for different things and I was good enough for them.
    Perhaps you did not show you were good enough for these top universities in your P/S. Birmingham is good and i would not turn it down. They have the pick of the bunch and either you were not it (I don't know) or you were but did not show it. If the latter it is still worring as for a lawyer you do have to present arguments well- inclding why they should have you above anybody else.
    At they end of the day ( :rolleyes: ) perhaos you were not good enough/ didn't have what they wanted and like me you will have to accept it. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Sorry to be so pedantic, but maybe he got 6 rejections because you can only apply for 4 medical courses? . On a more serious note grades are only part of the game, we all know that. Maybe his personal statement wasn't up to scratch, maybe his work experience wasn't adequate, maybe his reference lacked something.
    Lol, I dunno. All I know is that he didn't get a single offer. It's not like he applied to go to Oxford like 4 times! He did manage to do Medicine at the end, but only the Access to Medicine 6-year course at KCL, which requires much lower grades like CCC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    well its quite unfair to call straight A's not very impressive. and i dont think u can judge this person as being arrogant, u dont even no them! u cant judge much from a couple of posts wen a person is feeling down and they feel like they shudnt b.. (am i making sense?... probably not)

and the rest of this post is not directed at rah..
    i dont think any1 on this forum can honestly say that they *really* wanted to go to every single uni they applied to....! u hav a 2-4 that u really want and then a couple just to fill up ur ucas.
    stop giving this person so much stick. all it is in the end is that there are too many straight a applicants for too few places as every1 before me has sed lol.

reassess how badly u want to do law - its not all every1 makes it out to be (ie. ur not gna end up loaded, probs jus working stupdily long solicitor hours for measly pay). go up to brum and see if u like it... is a law degree a means to an end or r u doing it because u want to *study law*? its only 10 but im tired which may explain why im not making much sense.. but i dunno watever...

best of luck with what u choose to do.
    mazxxxxx
    Exactly! You people really know how to shoot a guy when he's already down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Lol, I dunno. All I know is that he didn't get a single offer. It's not like he applied to go to Oxford like 4 times! He did manage to do Medicine at the end, but only the Access to Medicine 6-year course at KCL, which requires much lower grades like CCC.
    Hey whats wrong with the access to medicine course? I had an offer for that course although i turned it down to go to Southampton. As long as you acheive your dream it doesn't matter how you go about it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.