This discussion is closed.
Cori21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Are there any mature students here who have done a child care course (level 2 cache)? I am thinking of starting at level 2 and then doing level 3 if I get a job, if that iis possible. Do you need so many GCSEs, or can you get into college on life experience? How many days a week would be spent at college, how many hours would be spent doing course work at home and how many days a week on a work placement? Or does it differ depending on the college? Thanks.
mazzle37
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
I've done the NVQ Level 2 and 3 in childcare, not sure it's the same as Cache although i think it is.
I didn't need any qualifications to do mine, although if you have a C or above in Maths and English Lang, you get out of doing the functional skills tests.
I chose to do my Level 2 in 6 months so i had to go to college once a week (10am to 4pm) and do a minimum of 16 hours placement a week. Most of the work is done on the college days but you get light homework to do which can be completed in a few hours.
Doing my level 3, i chose to do it in a year and a half and had college every last Saturday of the month. By this time, the college had helped me get into a full time job at a nursery.
Hope this helps
Mel1982
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

I have been working and studying in childcare for the last 11 years! When you apply for many of the childcare courses that are available, the entry requirements are that you have Maths and English grade C minimum in both. There are a number of ways you can get in to this route. I did a level 2 7yrs ago and I was put on a 2 day placement in a primary school. The hours are not as long as you may think! Most of your study time will be during school hours 9am-3ish depending on the school/nursery etc. I went on my placement mons/tues and the three other days I attended study sessions which were only 2-3hrs. One of the days are usually a free study period to study in your own time. Luckily, the school I had a placement in offered me a job and then I worked there for 5yrs and gained extra qualifications.

You can get on to most courses if you show that have GCSES in maths and English grade C or above. Have you got these grades?...If you have you can apply on to most courses level 2. They will or should be able to place you in a childcare setting provided that you are not working. If you are even better for you. When you are on your placement demonstrate good skills and who knows you may even be offered a job like I was! Also there is no harm in asking around for vacancies.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything you want!

Mel.
Cori21
Rep:
?
Thank you both very much for your replies. It was 22 years ago that I took my GCSEs. Yes 22 lol. I got a C in English language, but not sure I even got graded for maths, as we had to go back afterwards to get our maths results. As maths wasn't listed in our local newspaper as one of my grades, I just assumed that I failed it, so never went back for that result. I also didn't think I did very well in the exam. I know it's a long shot, but I'm going to contact the school and ask if they have my results on file and find out if I really did fail maths. If I did, would the college be able to check up and find out what grades I got? Could I not just tell them I got a C in maths??

I am trying to decide when to start the child care course. I am a single parent with a 2 1/2 year old son and I don't want to leave him for too many days/hours each week. He can go to nursery for 15 hours when he's 3, but by the sounds of it, I would be studying/on a placement for longer than that each. I also want some me time before I start working! So I was thinking of starting the course when he is 4, but I have to be working by the time he is 5, so I'm just hoping I can do the course and get a job by the time he is 5.
Mel1982
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your welcome!

As long as you show you have logical thinking skills and are able to be fairly numerate it shouldn't hold you back! Most of the courses these days will require you to take a simple literacy and numeracy test to see that you have a decent level. This is also known as key skills.

In regards to when to start the course you should find out what places offer it and some do differ in the hours which you need to be flexible around your young son! You are able to take your son now to a nursery as he is 2.5yrs old for what I presume is the 15hrs of childcare that the government are offering to mums of 2/3yr olds? If you think that your son is able to cope with the 15hrs then I would say go for it now. Only you know best!

Look around as many of the courses are flexible! What sort of ages are you thinking of working with and where do you live? (as I could suggest some courses for you!) Once you get on a course your job prospects will be high. Most of the courses will find you a placement or you could even do some volunteering in a nursery/school to get relevant experience. Any questions do ask!

Kind Regards,

Mel
Cori21
Rep:
?
Thanks Mel.

I do have an IQ of 149. I wonder if I could show my Mensa certificate instead of doing the literacy and numeracy tests? What kind of maths does the numeracy test consist of? I have a problem with long division. I've never been able to understand it, so if I have to do that in the test, I've got no chance!

My son is booked into a nursery and will go for 15 hours when he is 3, but won't I be studying and on a placement for more than 15 hours a week? Plus there's the time it takes to get to and from the college and nursery.

I would like to work with kids under school age. Is it the cache that allows you to work with kids upto 19, or is that NVQ? I think I would probably have to go to Calderdale college, as that's the closest one to me for mature students, but I think they only offer cache courses. I will contact the college and ask them for info, but it's good to hear about other people's experiences.

I wonder how far in advance I would have to apply for the course and if you have to start in September?
Mel1982
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya,

The numeracy and literacy tests are pretty straightforward and yes most people are doing the CACHE. It depends on what type of role you are looking for. I did a teaching assistant course with a placement and in total it was for 16 hours. I have also done the Diploma for Supporting and Teaching in Schools. Would you just want to be a general teaching assistant or work with just younger children as there are different qualifications.

If I were you call your local college and see if you cam put your name down for any relevant childcare qualifications or at least ask when you can apply as it may be a bit too early!
It all depends on the amount of people they expect to enrol on the course! You may have to go along to a seminar/introduction informing you about it!

I understand that you do have a high IQ and GCSES but they still may ask you to do the tests to ensure you are to the level you state you are. Even myself, I have a grade B in English Language and Literature and grade C in maths and I only took my GCSES 14 years ago but still was expected to do it. Also as you may have been away from education a while. (I am going to do an Access to Science.)

Anything else you want to know just ask.

Best Wishes,

Mel
Cori21
Rep:
?
Thanks again Mel. I'm wanting to work with younger children, in a nursery. So if I have to do a maths and English test anyway, wouldn't it matter if I didn't have a GCSE in maths? Wouldn't I have to re-take my maths GSCE? Or would it depend on the college?I will ask the college all this anyway, but thank you very much for you help
Mel1982
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No problem! Yes, your best bet is to find out from the actual college as some may vary! Good Luck and let me know how you get on! Nursery age is a lovely age to work with!

Mel X
razzy 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I am 16 year old and I am going to college and I have chosen child care crash level 2 i am scared on my results day because i don't what i am going to get if u get a grade d for English language and grade e for maths what happens then ?
gillian1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had the same concerns regarding Maths GCSE as I didn't achieve this either and I am due to start college this coming September, however when I spoke to my tutor at the welcome day I attended he said they wont bother about it because I'm a mature student so its not as important to them as it would be for someone who has just done their GCSE'S. For adults they just want you to show enthusiasm and willingness to do the course, at my interview I was asked a couple of questions relating to the subject I want to do but didn't have to take any tests and was told I had a place by the end of it. I did a university access course for which maths was one of the subjects so I will take the certificate for that with me for them to see but I don't think they will really be bothered.
sim12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cori21)
Are there any mature students here who have done a child care course (level 2 cache)? I am thinking of starting at level 2 and then doing level 3 if I get a job, if that iis possible. Do you need so many GCSEs, or can you get into college on life experience? How many days a week would be spent at college, how many hours would be spent doing course work at home and how many days a week on a work placement? Or does it differ depending on the college? Thanks.
I completed level 2 with Cache
U should be in college for three days or two days if u already got maths n English
Two days in placement sometimes a week or so to catch up any missed days
Course work around 4-5 hrs time at home as teachers would expect u to start staright away with ur own research to find answers
U will need GCSE's in Maths, English and Science as it is by law if u wish to study H.E
Overall depends on ur actual age and the hours u will be at college as I took this course when I was 17 as a full time student
all the best
Elyseee sherr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If your doing functional skills maths and English can you get Cs or above?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Elyseee sherr)
If your doing functional skills maths and English can you get Cs or above?
Hi, this thread is almost two years old - if you have a question about a course you're currently doing (CACHE?) then I suggest you make a new thread.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads